Large screen
Usable/loadable international maps

Suggestions?
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Montana 650, Zumos etc..............check them out it depends on the features that you will want or need...............camera, topo maps etc

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
jonyfi - you'll likely get more information and responses in the GPS specific section of the site - "layin' down tracks"

see the top sticky thread in this section for more information
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #4
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
If you plan on running any kind of organized dual sport events make sure it can have tracks programmed into it.If you goto an event and the guys at the gps table cant load your gps you look like a fool and the people lined up behind you get pissed.I have seen guys line up with cheap car Nuvi's then find out they are not getting tracks for the day.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
If you want a large screen, 4.3" or 5", there are two choices in the newer zumo lineup: zumo 390LM or the zumo590LM. Both of these devices generate and save your Track Log (Trip Log) and both have the same saved Tracks App capability: which is arguably as good or better than any of the Garmin Handheld units.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
BobMirror
n00b

Oddometer: 4
gps interface

Has anyone tried interfacing a 7-inch android tablet pc to the gps in their cell phone via Bluetooth?
I have been using laptop computer gps units since 1993 and refuse to go to a small screen or be limited gps manufactures files.
BobMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMirror View Post
Has anyone tried interfacing a 7-inch android tablet pc to the gps in their cell phone via Bluetooth?
I have been using laptop computer gps units since 1993 and refuse to go to a small screen or be limited gps manufactures files.
That's a good challenge, haven't tried it yet, I'll let you know how it goes tonight.
(The tablets I've tried (a bunch of them) all had a GPS chip already, so I wouldn't have needed the Bluetooth tether, but it sounds like fun just the same)

I gave it a try and didn't find a way/application to do what you're asking for. Using a Bluetooth GPS dongle seems to work, but setting up a phone to relay GPS info to another device over Bluetooth doesn't seem to have much calling for.

ohgood screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 07:20 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMirror View Post
What Android tablet does not have a GPS?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
jonyfi - For dual sporting you will only use tracks. You will make them yourself or acquire them from others, import them to a computer software like basecamp, and then upload the tracks to your GPS. Any of Garmin's hand held units will do that.

You are also going to want a unit that accepts hard wiring to your battery. The portable units with only an internal battery will not take the jarring of off-road riding. Hard wired units have very rare power interruptions, and the new ones have both battery and hard wiring so they keep powered up no matter what.

Hand held units have small screens. I liked my Garmin 60Csx (discontinued). I now use a Montana. The disadvantage of the hand held units is that they are not as good for routing as a street GPS, but I like my Montana for that well enough.

It is news to me that the new Zumo's will handle tracks, but then maybe they didn't when I bought my Montana.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Does the Montana have a cable for use with motorcycles? The small connecters won't stay connected while on the motorcycle...
I have used a couple Nuvi's but they both lost their connections after some vibrating.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Does the Montana have a cable for use with motorcycles?
Ask on the Montana thread to get faster response.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
cyclebabble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Does the Montana have a cable for use with motorcycles? .
Yes a hard wired connection with mount. Just installed one on my DRZ, works great so far.
cyclebabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
BobMirror
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
That's a good challenge, haven't tried it yet, I'll let you know how it goes tonight.
(The tablets I've tried (a bunch of them) all had a GPS chip already, so I wouldn't have needed the Bluetooth tether, but it sounds like fun just the same)

I gave it a try and didn't find a way/application to do what you're asking for. Using a Bluetooth GPS dongle seems to work, but setting up a phone to relay GPS info to another device over Bluetooth doesn't seem to have much calling for.
There were some apps for using the GPS in a Android cell phone to Bluetooth out to a computer which I tried with out success as well. Humm.. just not main stream enough as of yet.
Another option would be to use a USB GPS plugged into a small tablet pc, but after doing all of that, the normal gps units with the screen is going to be less hassle. Oh well.
BobMirror is offline   Reply With Quote