ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #31
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vaquero View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 690 is a bad bike, it just doesn't fill the void that adv riders are looking for that a 790/890 in adv and R models would/will. Remember, it comes down to sales in the big picture.

All the "what KTM should build" is probably a mute point now anyways because what ever this mid level model is, is probably well in the works by now.
^^^^This.

The 690 enduro is an awesome bike. You know what it isn't? A direct competitor to the F800GS / Tiger 800 XC. And the way those 2 models sell, KTM sorely needs a bike in that market range.

The 690 is a niche market bike - very specialized. It falls right between the EXC line and the F800/Tiger800 "80/20" bikes. If KTM builds a baby adventure to compete in that space, I'll be buying one.
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #32
noxious1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
yep, they have a guaranteed sale for my wife if they build a direct competitor for the Triumph/BMW 800's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
^^^^This.

The 690 enduro is an awesome bike. You know what it isn't? A direct competitor to the F800GS / Tiger 800 XC. And the way those 2 models sell, KTM sorely needs a bike in that market range.

The 690 is a niche market bike - very specialized. It falls right between the EXC line and the F800/Tiger800 "80/20" bikes. If KTM builds a baby adventure to compete in that space, I'll be buying one.
noxious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #33
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Have you seen a 1190 parked next to an 800gs? They have remarkably similar dimensions

I'd also like to see a <400 lb lightweight twin with a fairing and lots of fuel capacity but doubt we'll see it.
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #34
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
^^^^This.

Do you guys

Shoot?
Surf?
Golf?

Can't use one hammer for all jobs...

no way around it....you need a Driver a 3 wood and a Wedge..
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #35
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Do you guys

Shoot?
Surf?
Golf?

Can't use one hammer for all jobs...

no way around it....you need a Driver a 3 wood and a Wedge..
You know...the more bikes I ride, the more I think you may very well be right.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #36
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Man I wish KTM would just make a version of Lyndon Poskitt's recent Races to Places build (picture link borrowed from his blog):

I think Lyndon used a 640 motor with vacuum pump and carb to keep the bike simple. This bike would be so easy for KTM to build, but they just don't think the market is there for the bike. I think a consumer version of that bike would sell so well.
They do/did its called a 690 rallye,hes got smaller rear tank on his than the oem.The first version of this bike was 07 till 09/10....nothing new,41mm fcr std,few differences in engine/suspension.....awesome bike

johnno950 screwed with this post 06-05-2014 at 01:38 AM
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #37
Tim Cullis OP
Partially heighted

Oddometer: 273
I had missed the news release of the 500/800cc parallel twins, but these sound a long way off, and it looks like they are intended at least initially for the Indian market. Similarly the 390 Adventure which promises to be quite a lardy little beast.

If the bike is going to be at EICMA I don't see much alternative to the V-twin 990cc. I suppose (sigh) this would be targeted at the F800GS and Tiger 800 XC, so more of a soft roader than something that interests me.

Yes, the 690 Enduro might be a niche bike but it's the one that interests me most and last year I rode Aberdeen in Scotland to London in one day (550 miles) so it can be used for long distance stuff. This was a standard bike with just KTM's useless 'touring' windscreen and an AirHawk saddle.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #38
Tim Cullis OP
Partially heighted

Hmm. 1050cc v-twin, possibly called 1090, and lighter than previous 990 model. Likely to be at Intermot in Köln in October.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #39
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 174
Interesting. Any more details?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #40
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,549
KTM is a public company and as such near term, product road maps are disclosed at the annual General Meeting of which was on April 24th of this year. In years past this road map has shown the new models and the anticipated market time frames. No mention of a "mid sized" adventure bike was disclosed at the last general meeting so most of this discussion, is rumor.

On Aug 29th, the first two Q's of FY2014 will be released and that is the place to look for any new developments.

Having said that, long term product road maps are internal, subject to market developments/changes and rarely discussed outside of senior product management circles. Based on past public disclosures, KTM is focused on key area's of revenue growth (India & other developing markets) and developing the Husky & Husaberg brands.

http://company.ktm.com/gb/investor-r...s/reports.html

DW

DW
Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #41
Tim Cullis OP
Partially heighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
In years past this road map has shown the new models and the anticipated market time frames.
By its very nature this type of document is backward looking. I've had a quick scan and the only interesting thing I can see regarding future plans is "development of a new 2-cylinder engine platform" which could refer to the parallel twin rumoured to be under development. I've checked out the first 70 pages, can you point me to a roadmap?

And if there is such a section, does it mention the forthcoming 1290 Super Adventure? See http://www.adventurebikerider.com/fo...dv-tourer.html

Rumours are rumours and I can't state with any certainty that the 1090 is coming for sure, but it comes from someone who is well placed. My own thought on this is that it could effectively be an onward development of the 950 Super Enduro in terms of overall weight and intended use. But hey, what do I know?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 AM   #42
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDevil37 View Post
450 rally bike then? what about taking a 500exc and putting the rally get up or making the 500 a rally? seems more capable than a 690 and seems to be preferred from what I hear. I know a couple of guys that ride the 690R and love it. really haven't heard any bad about it but on here.
Honda have the 450 Rally Bike now, KTM have their own Rally bike at a HUGE price...and there are LOADS of Dakar conversions for the 690 out there. This is all a very niche market which means, low sales so KTM is doing what they all doing, following one another...

KTM have the 1290 "Super" Adventure for pure road use and BMW is launching it's Adventure Road bike with the S1000R motor pushing 160hp as mentioned so, if there is a market for the mid class then for sure KTM will be selling it soon enough to compete with the GS800 and 800 Tiger.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #43
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
if there is a market for the mid class then for sure KTM will be selling it soon enough to compete with the GS800 and 800 Tiger.
if so they better bring their A game as the Triumph Tiger 800 is a kick ass bike and GS800 is not a slob either

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #44
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
the 990.... expensive to build ? it just has a smaller market making it more of a liabilty for KTM i guess thats why they say it's expensive. the 1190 or new ADVENTURE is aimed with a broad arrow, they want a slice of the pie which BMW has had for so long . Bigger market cheaper build cost , niche market bigger build cost. unfortuneatly thats bloody bussiness sense....what happen to irrational thinking ffs.
The 950/990 is the epitome of bigbore rallye bikes it aint comin back , it's spilt milk, unless your still holding a glass. I rekon the 690 is the best bike to build on if your after a mid size, it's been around for 7 years, heaps of great builders are making things for them. they've proved themselves in racing just like the 950. Everyone should have one.
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #45
Tim Cullis OP
Partially heighted

From August 21 above...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullis View Post
Hmm. 1050cc v-twin, possibly called 1090, and lighter than previous 990 model. Likely to be at Intermot in Köln in October.
One of the biggest surprises of the season is the possibility that KTM, in addition to the previously announced Super Adventure 1290, will also unveil a 1050 Adventure. This announcement was confirmed by Stefan Pierer, Chairman and CEO of KTM, at the Indian launch of the RC 200 and RC 390. It is also shown as an owners manual download on the KTM Europe website.

https://rideapart.com/articles/surpr...-intermot-2014

Tim Cullis screwed with this post 10-15-2014 at 12:51 PM
Tim Cullis is offline   Reply With Quote