Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmus View Post
RE: double take mirror, I wrap mine with 1 layer of electrical tape.(the "ball" ) Key is ONE layer. Does not last forever but works well and is cheap and easy to redo when needed.

If you read a little deeper in the Doubletake threads, there's a trick using a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod stuck inside the spring which forces the clamping force to the hard plastic of the mirror ball instead of the soft rubber of the handlebar mount. Now it really is the bee's knees!
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #17
wheeler23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Anyone have these CPR"s? Any more pic's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygee68 View Post
I was a frequently donated either a mirror or rear turn signal on my Husky. Also rearranged my right mirror on my 990S. So I initially purchased the double takes. I do get some vibration vision on the hwy. BUT, has anyone taken a peek at these mirrors. I'm thinking these will be the last pair of mirrors that I purchase. As I also try to clear up the clutter on my handlebars.

http://www.cprfabrications.com/Store.html

just scroll down a bit.
These do look cool! A bit $$$ though...... Any more pics or details?

KTM 990 Baja Edition, KTM 250SXF, KTM 150XC
wheeler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #18
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Penny wise and pound foolish.

Just a few words on the price of aftermarket farkle for our pampered two wheeled girlfriends. I have paid good money for good equipment many times. I have not regretted it ever. I have felt grateful for the guys who put up their time and money to produce such stuff knowing their market is limited and so is their potential return on investment.

HDB guys produce a hand guard system for our beasts that are bullet proof/crash proof. I have tested the Beefy guards on my 09' 990R fitted to my Flexx bars. Everything survived impact without issue except galling the black anodise finish. They even warded me about that on their site before I ordered the black.

My back was saved because I had on my Camelbac Lynchpin pack with a military spec full 3 litre bladder inside, kind of like an airbag you can drink out of. Slammed into a fence post back first at approx. 45 mph, avoiding a water buffalo mom and baby. The pack and bladder took all the steam out of the impact and left me just fine with only wet ribs where some of my Gatorade sprayed out the bite valve under impact pressure. Great equipment is essential.

My HDB mirrors were tucked in where they are designed to go when off road. They were not sticking up where they can get broken, or where fixed mirrors can conveniently protrude into my liver or spleen, depending on which side I get off from.

Purpose built. That's what I need and what I am happy to pay for. It is also why I ride a 990R instead of a Vstrom or a Triumph Tiger, or Ducati. We are an Orange Breed people, who need equipment that will keep working.

CJ Designs is another example of talent and passion focused in a great way and I get blessed. Thanks Craig. Please keep dreaming up useful and durable stuff for my Beast. Thanks for sharing your experience generously with anyone who asks. Like me. There are more you all can list.

As a community, let's support, encourage, and not complain to those who are endeavouring to contribute to our motorcycle enjoyment and safety and not resent the funds they need to keep going. Dave in Cambodia

KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMbageera View Post
...As a community, let's support, encourage, and not complain to those who are endeavouring to contribute to our motorcycle enjoyment and safety and not resent the funds they need to keep going. Dave in Cambodia
You, sir, are a straight-shooter, a true asset and a great ambassador for our community.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Another Opinion

Most (all?) states require only a left mirror to be legal to operate on the highway. So you gotta ask yourself is this for legality or for safety?

If its for safety the Double Take & HDB are in the same boat as far as optics go- that is to say, not so good. Being an ex-MSF instructor we emphasize the all-important head-turn before making lane changes and situational awareness. Convex mirrors further reduce optical clarity & time/space perception, so a vehicle moving up quickly on your side (plenty of a**holes drive faster than we ride, and they are the ones we have to worry about catching us out) appears suddenly with little visual clue as to speed/distance.

Another thing about our bikes is turbulence acting on mirrors (esp the stock "Mickey Mouse" ear mirrors) inducing vibration to the bars.

I use the KTM Duke mirror on my 950 and a shorty Napoleon on the KLR.

Both are mounted on individual handlebar clamps, which are mounted over a few turns of Teflon plumbers tape & the pinch bolt not tightened fully- this allows the entire clamp/mirror to rotate in case of a fall or striking a trailside obstacle. These are Kawasaki KLR600/650 parts, but there are several versions out there
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEye View Post
I have a set of Factory KTM folding mirrors, and they are great. They come in two lengths--just get the onger ones, or you won't be able to see past your shoulders. They screw right into the stock mounting holes, they stay in place (I only tested them to sustained 90 mph on my 990), and they look good. They fold instantly down to the bars when folded, and they have a built-in stop to keep them from dropping too far when in use. Also, they are very trim-looking.

I think the "double take" mirrors look too bulky--like an obvious clunky add-on, complete with big plastic wing-nuts. They look like they would work, but I've never used them.

I actually run a set of Highway Dirt Bikes "Ultimate" hand guards (which, by the way, are the best, toughest, stay-puttingest ones you can buy--I should know, because I test them all the time!). However, and I hate to be rude, but I can't see a damn thing with their mirrors. I ran about 100 miles with them, and never felt comfortable using them. The concept is absolutely awesome, and they easily fold away completely, just as promised. They are just...in the wrong place...and are way too small for me. I guess that if I didn't have any option I eventually would get used to them.
+1 exactly !
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #22
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
I like the concept, but holy crap the price. Come on people. Stop raping the adventure crowd on the price of aftermarket!!!

I wouldn't mind toying around with making some HDB mirrors work on some other company's hand guards. But sadly they don't sell them independent of the hand guards.
1. Yeah, damn them capitalists.

Things should be priced based on our need and our incomes, not the cost to produce or the alternative products in the market place. If we don't make enough money, prices should be adjusted for us accordingly. And let's start with dropping the price on Reardon Metal.

2. Yes, you can order the mirrors from the capitalist who designed and produced them, risking his personal finances in the process. Just ask.

Better yet, go design and build some yourself- much cheaper.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
You, sir, are a straight-shooter, a true asset and a great ambassador for our community.
That's what I like about our group. A much more mature and positive group of guys (gals?). Bageera, great message. I look forward to more from you.

To the OP...I just found this, so here ya go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhrj1HLCZE

Now, I gotta go watch my LA Kings play a game 7. GO KINGS GOOOOO!!!

08 KTM 990S, 08 Husky TE610,
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #24
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,677
For those that have struggled with the HDB mirrors, may I encourage you to try some more?

I've found them to work just fine, but I've had to do a little trimming of the handguard on the right side, and some gentle but firm twisting on the left. But once they're working, they do a terrific job.

My problem with other brands that have stalks sticking up from the bars- I fall down, and I'm confident my body will find those pointy parts. I'll grant you, there are plenty of pointy parts, including the shorty-ified windscreen- but I really don't like those mirrors. That's a very subjective judgement, and not based on facts- just emotions and fears.

We are fortunate to have options, and further fortunate to have entrepreneurs continuing to innovate, creating those options.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #25
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
You asked for pictures. Here are my Doubletake mirrors on my 950:

I'm pretty happy with them. I also thought about the HDB setup. I would like to have that, but I read about a guy who had trouble looking at the mirror because of his bifocals. That made me think that I'd rather have Doubletakes now and HDB guards later w/o the spot mirrors. So, that's where I landed.

Bifocals. Crap you have to think about after 40.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #26
BT4Stroke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
New 990/1190 Mirrors

New KTM Adventure Mirror Options for those who want the best!

BT4Stroke screwed with this post 06-01-2014 at 06:39 PM
BT4Stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #27
Tomah
Riding the Northeast

Oddometer: 192
Love the double takes

Key for me is running them low and wide while on road. They stay in place for me with no tools.

-- TOMAH
Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #28
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT4Stroke View Post
New KTM Adventure Mirror Options for those who want the best!

I think these will be on my list. CPR sells the mounts alone for pretty cheap...I think it is the mirror parts (outsourced I think) that cost so darn much. Maybe CPR mounts with a different mirror would be cheaper, but cheaper is not always better.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #29
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
+1000 for HDB set up. Pricey...depends how you look at it:

HDB full guard and mirror set up $200

Other guys Handguards: $150+ (no Mirrors) so add whatever mirrors you want to that price and then you have big gangly mirrors for more money AND weaker handguards...but if thats your thing...all the power to ya. Im not judging.

But for a top notch handguard system that takes care of the unsightly lines of those moose antlers the 950/990 has for mirrors, you can't beat the price IMHO.

So again....+1000 for HDB!

EDIT: So far I've blasted down tons of highway and done a 3 day rally along with my daily commute....the mirrors stay put. Be forwarned however, they do take some getting used to as they are bit convex....things are about 1/3 closer than they appear in the mirror.
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote