ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #1246
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I'm having some issues with the v2.90_1.20.00 software update. After being on and recording Track Log for a few hours, the device starts posting error messages about most of the Google OS and GOA apps stopping.
Is it a good idea to remove all Google accounts etc? Every time I start my device it installs more meaningless apps that I havent chosen.
I will try a complete wipe of the unit and after that no Google accounts.
Since I cant use anything like contacts and adresses in the Garmin apps they arr pointless anyway. Strange, Navigon on the iPhone is much better in that regard.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #1247
420AllDay
n00b

Oddometer: 9
You can still associate your google account with the Monterra and bypass restoring all of your apps and accounts from google backup. I still have access to gmail, maps and Drive, and have installed Poweramp and Spotify for music, Evernote for important info. Otherwise nothing else goes on the GPS.
420AllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #1248
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Is it a good idea to remove all Google accounts etc? Every time I start my device it installs more meaningless apps that I havent chosen.
I will try a complete wipe of the unit and after that no Google accounts.
Since I cant use anything like contacts and adresses in the Garmin apps they arr pointless anyway. Strange, Navigon on the iPhone is much better in that regard.
I have not found that to be necessary. The worthless Apps you may be referring to are the standard Android Apps that must be installed. As for other third-party Apps, they are up to you.

I thought you were selling your Monterra?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #1249
420AllDay
n00b

He probably has the setting turned on to automatically update apps. In this regard the definition of "meaningless" is up to the individual.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #1250
kave
Gravel rules

Dtrbyk: i also get errors about not communicating with google servers, on some rides every fifth minute. If ditching the google account fixes this one for all its not a big sacrifice.
Its not automatic upgrades I am talking about, i still get new apps from google even though I didnt have them at all to begin with, like Talk for example. I have never chosen to install that one, and it wasnt on the unit originally.
My Monterra is for sale, but I still use it from time to time.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #1251
420AllDay
n00b

Talk is a core Google app, it has been on my Monterra from the beginning. Talk functionality was integrated into Hangouts in 2013, it's not even being updated.

I've never gotten an error message about not communicating with google servers. You might want to:
  • Turn off sync in Settings/Accounts & Sync
  • Ensure that no backup or restore boxes are checked in Settings/Backup & reset
  • Turn off Auto-update apps in Google Play settings
Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #1252
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Defys logic - but I'll take it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Thanks, welcome back.

After I did the sw update it no longer froze if I put it in mount when on already, but it gave me the External Power Lost message and wouldn't use 12V source. Triple checked my wiring and finally bit the bullet and did a Factory data reset, 60 apps and custom maps installs and all. :-(

It got worse! The message would flash rapidly and randomly and even hung in the background and then eventually would not even respond to my selection to stay on and would just count down to powering off.

I swapped it for a new one. New one gives no message when mounted, but won't use 12V though. Today Support said my 12.85V (bike off) at center pin when grounding to bars and 11.5 when grounding to pin to right of center pin is fine. He put his Monterra in amps mount and said it was acting funny and asked if I got a GOA not responding message. Hmm

Support thinks my mount is bad so they are sending me a new one. It worked ok before the sw "mount fix."

Fingers crossed that a new mount is all I need.
If anyone is curious...got my replacement mount from Garmin in mail, hooked it up same as other one and unit recognized being mounted, all is good! After I removed the first/bad one I hooked + and - directly to battery, verified the 12.85V at pin, popped in unit and it worked fine. Hmmm.

Checked the new one's voltage with meter by grounding the meter to the pin next to center pin and then grounded to the bars, got no difference, 12.85 at each. OK, so that was different than the old one, which had a 1V difference doing that. Checked the old one with meter grounding to batt when + was hooked directly to batt and got 12.85.

I had used the same ground point with both when mounted to bike, so only measured difference I can report is that the old one had 1V less at center pin using its ground wire to bike steering head, vs grounding the meter to the bars. Hard to believe that would make a difference to the unit recognizing the mount, but I played with power and grounds for quite a while with old one, jiggling wires and connections and such and couldn't get unit to work (or the voltage to drop). Until the new one arrived!

Will install the old one on DS bike and test it for awhile, on non-critical rides of course. And I won't ground to steering head/fender mount, will ground to harness or direct. Wondering if that is a bad idea, grounding to front end. I usually go to harness for stuff.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #1253
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 464
Thats not the best place for a ground, since the only connection between stering bar and frame are the bearings that haver grease witch isolates them

Sent from my GT-S5570
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #1254
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
Thats not the best place for a ground, since the only connection between stering bar and frame are the bearings that haver grease witch isolates them

Sent from my GT-S5570
Yeah, that was what I was thinking-conventional wisdom, but it tested fine, showing constant volts at pin but mount no workie after many months of working fine. New one same ground, works fine. Could be problem though, electricity is more magical than magic to me. :-) And there was the 1V differential between grounding to pin and grounding to handlebars, so that is my only guess too. Besides magic.

thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #1255
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 464
Problem is your mesureing whitout a load, once it starts charging i bet it will go down in volts. I had a bar connecton on a GPS charger that would only keep charge aboive a certin point, if it was fully deschared it would not take charge

Sent from my GT-S5570
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #1256
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The good news is that there aren't many roads to chose from up there.

Hope you have a great ride.
We are having a great ride and the Monterra has been performing very well. The glitch that appeared, disappeared just as quickly. Made it to the Arctic Circle today! Took a nasty spill yesterday on the Dempster and may have bruised a rib. I am very happy with the Monterra except my heated gloves don't like the touchscreen. I treated them with AnyGlove but my results have been hit and miss. I am very happy with the Monterra. I have a fuel logging app and it is so convenient to make my entries on the Monterra while right at the pump.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #1257
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
Problem is your mesureing whitout a load, once it starts charging i bet it will go down in volts. I had a bar connecton on a GPS charger that would only keep charge aboive a certin point, if it was fully deschared it would not take charge

Sent from my GT-S5570
Ah. I liked the quick disconnect charging harness solution, so went with that. Extended my trickle charger harness up to mount and put a matching plug on the mount (reversing polarity of course), all soldered and heat-shrunk connections, so should be good for my AK trip now. thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #1258
kave
Gravel rules

New version out now, dont know how to use Express since it cant see the Monterra.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=6107

Monterra software version 3.20
as of June 10, 2014

Use Garmin Express to install this file.

(224.93 MB)

Notes:

Version 3.20_1.21
- Added two additional zoom levels at 20/30ft (5/10m)
- Improved city search
- Improved map information bar dropdown behavior
- Fixed geocache size getting cut off on widget in certain languages
- Fixed saving waypoints in incorrect locations for certain Map Datums
- Fixed additional routing avoidance issues
- Fixed elevation plot not scrolling with new data
- Fixed possible issue if device started in a powered mount
- Fixed possible issue with User Grids in certain languages
- Fixed a drawing issue with certain patterned areas
- Fixed transparent maps not drawing with only the basemap enabled
- Fixed geocaching dashboard not switching to the closest geocache
- Fixed daily and weekly track auto-archive
- Fixed geocache filtering not respecting empty filters
- Fixed Where To? > Photos and Videos not updating with new photos
- Fixed various display issues with the Satellite app
Change History
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.20:
Added two additional zoom levels at 20/30ft (5/10m)
Improved city search
Improved map information bar dropdown behavior
Fixed geocache size getting cut off on widget in certain languages
Fixed saving waypoints in incorrect locations for certain Map Datums
Fixed additional routing avoidance issues
Fixed elevation plot not scrolling with new data
Fixed possible issue if device started in a powered mount
Fixed possible issue with User Grids in certain languages
Fixed a drawing issue with certain patterned areas
Fixed transparent maps not drawing with only the basemap enabled
Fixed geocaching dashboard not switching to the closest geocache
Fixed daily and weekly track auto-archive
Fixed geocache filtering not respecting empty filters
Fixed Where To? > Photos and Videos not updating with new photos
Fixed various display issues with the Satellite app
Old 06-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #1259
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
Garmin seems to still thinks everyone uses Windoze. They do know that Mac-GE cannot see the Monterra. I called and required the Tech to enter a Ticket #. If you don't get them to do that your call/problem is not registered.

As for the 3.20 update, just use OTA.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #1260
kave
Gravel rules

Huh, after my Monterra being off for two weeks I just started it up and I saw a new message "Process android.process.acore have been stopped".
Sounds serious :)
Edit: Later investigations found that it still fills up the internal memory with a 2GB large file in Garmin/GPX/Archive.

Thank you DRTBYK who recommended a file manager on the Monterra.