ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #20026
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked steve View Post
A little late, but Nuggets, that bike looks beyond sweet...nice job!

I'll bet it's a hoot to ride!
You are right, it is a super hoot to ride. Powerslides always available via the loud handle, and tons of torque. Right now it is geared pretty high, I hit a max speed of 78 on the thing.

Pinch flat mode:
Old 06-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #20027
mdfiasco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
So, my 3-day tour down the OBX...this is going to be a long, photo-heavy post...

Left Monday @0530 from VB Oceanfront and headed south through Pungo on Princess Anne Rd. Took the Knotts Island Ferry to get over to 158 at Currituck. From there it was a casual ride all the way to 12S and Hatteras. Along the way, I stopped at Bodie Island Light, Secret Spot Surf Shop, and random fuelups. Once at Buxton, I boarded the ferry to Ocracoke. There were so many SUVs and screaming kids, all trying to get away from it all. Nobody is willing to go as far as I am, and I'll get away from the sunburned fannie-pack wearing masses soon enough.

Riding through Pungo

Knotts Island NC area

Knotts Island Ferry to Currituck NC

Wright Brothers Monument, Kitty Hawk NC

Only the best little surf shop in the world

Bodie Island Light

Cape Hatteras Light

waiting for the ferry in Buxton, south of Hatteras

Surrounded by SUVs...hell on earth. But none of these suburbanites are willing to go as far as I am to get away from it all.

Once on Ocracoke, I parked my DR in the municipal lot. You're allowed to leave vehicles up to 72 hrs. I locked my pelican case, grabbed my hiking ruck, changed out of my riding gear and headed over to Rudy Austins pier. For $60, he'll drop you off on Portsmouth Island and pick you up the next morning (it's cheaper w/ additional people). It was a ten minute ride by skiff over to Portsmouth. My main goal by going to Portsmouth Island was to get away from tourists and gift shops. My secondary goal was to see the Milky Way. Both were achieved. It was desolate over there, only some abandoned bldgs maintained by the parks dept. But rest assured, it is not a tourist trap, getting there is hard enough that only the most intrepid even look for such a place. If you're into collecting shells, it's a treasure trove. Waking up at 3 am, I was greeted by the milky way, stretching like a ribbon of light across the night sky. My camera could not capture it, but so what...Totally worth it.

This is Rudy Austins pier, he runs a charter over to Portsmouth Island and does duck hunting guides in season.

Capt Rudy

My destination, about 3 miles from Ocracoke

Rudy dropped me right on the beach

There goes my ride

Shipwrecks here and there, buried in the dunes

This dude was alive, and scared the heck out of me when I tapped it with my foot...

The view from atop my dune camp

home sweet home

Sunset was magic in this place

The tire tracks were from fisherman that come over from Atlantic NC, 15 miles down the island. They come over in trucks w/ campers and spend the weekends fishing. I only saw one truck, and once he saw me, he kept his distance. Everyone comes looking for solitude.

outside my tent in the morning...any ideas?

waiting for Rudy to pick me up, made some coffee and enjoyed the morning..

Here comes my ride

The next morning, I was picked up by Rudys son Evan. He dropped me off at a dock close to the municipal lot. I readied my gear and rode a hundred feet over to the two ferry lines to Cedar Island and Swan Quarter. I met a couple of dudes on Harleys from Pittsburg waiting for the Swan Quarter ferry. They were amazed by the DR and where I was going. They weren't jealous, they were staying in hotels. For $10 I boarded the Cedar Island Ferry for the 2 hr 15 minute ride across the sound to the mainland.

Goodbye Ocracoke

Hello Cedar Island

My destination for today was a campground on the Neuse River near the Croatan Nat'l Forest and New Bern NC/Cherry Point NC. I stopped to ask a man about a gas station and he told me his life story. He was 92 yrs old and his family had been fishing the waters of the Pamlico Sound for 300 yrs. Govt shrimp regulation shut it down in the 60s and he turned to harvesting crabs. He had a lot to say about the current economy and the way we live. I could go back and listen to him some more, he was a wise old man.

Luther Lewis' old fish house. He said it had been on this site for at least 200 yrs...

Luther named his boat after his late wife.

After setting up camp and unloading the DR, I headed over to the OHV trails in Croatan. After a 9 mile burn down a dusty gravel road, I arrived at the trail head. The trails are little more than old fire roads, rutted and sandy. A little muck here and there. Nothing to write home about, but great for getting confidence up and learning what your bike can do. The mud here is like nothing else. It's like black ink mixed with chocolate motor oil pudding. It grabs your tires and holds on, then dyes your skin. It's nasty stuff. After two spills and laying down the DR, I got the hang of it and was blazing through in no time.

9 miles of dry dusty road, and this dude found the only puddle.

Trail head

The trails weren't much more than this. In wetter seasons, it could be gnarly!

Set up a roomier tent at this site

After returning to the campsite, I found that the site had HOT SHOWERS! This was a much welcome surprise after a few days on the road. I spent the evening talking to my camping neighbor, a dude from NY who had been on the road for 6 months. He was looking for the meaning of things I guess. We talked a little politics and a lot about life and what was truly important. He didn't really know how to rough-it, so we compared gear and I showed him my little camp stove and some other tricks to make camping easier. He took notes. He was actually on his way to Portsmouth Island and I told him of my experience. I gave him the last of my bug spray, he'd need it there.

View from my site at Neuse River Campground ($12 per night, FYI)

The following morning, I packed up camp and headed north to the Cherry Branch/Minnesott Beach ferry. After a 20 minute ride, I had about an hour to make the Aurora/Bayview ferry. I wouldn't have much time to mess around on this leg. The roads were all nicely surfaced, the scenery was tall NC pines.

Uh..no fuel available

Aurora Ferry

not really sure what potash is, but there were MOUNTAINS of it on the Aurora side...guess thats where all the trees are going.

Once on the Bayview side, I was no longer on a schedule since I was done with the ferry boats. I started to get off of my main routes and onto the side roads. This little peninsula was all wheat and corn fields as far as you could see. Following every little road to the East that I found, it took me to the shores of the Pungo River and little hideaway communities. This was pretty country and everyone I saw tossed me a wave and a smile. Still heading north, I stopped for lunch in Belhaven. There is a cafe there, Fish Hooks, that serves a shrimp melt. Holy hell it was delicious! Cold shrimp salad, broiled with provolone on a hot bun. Damn.

Sprawling golden wheat

Followed a dirt road...awarded with this view

derelict work boat...

My goal for that day was to head over into Lake Mattamuskeet area then ultimately home. However it was clear that it would be crowded, so I broke north towards Pocosin Lakes Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. There were maybe 10 miles of roads cut into the refuge, all of them loose, sandy, and dusty. Again, a good place to get your confidence up. It could be easy to lose control of the bike in here, but I could use the experience. Even though there were extensive roads, there was one way in one way out. So after hours of exploration and dead ends, getting back out wasn't easy. Had I not had my garmin etrex, I'd still be in there. There were bear tracks EVERYWHERE! I honestly thought at some point I'd have to fight a bear. There were also river otter tracks as well. You could see where river otters were coming out of the canals, playing/fighting on the roads, then heading back to the canals. It was a pretty place and probably amazing for birdwatchers.

the first of many bear tracks...

miles of this, slippery sandy road

found an overlook, looking into Pungo Lake

Looking into the refuge, miles of elevated swamp.

Guessing turtle?

Yes, they do. and on the road too.

Tracks everywhere

took this from half a mile away...looked like a bear to the naked eye...could be a cow. But on the road? hmmm

pungo Lake

Once leaving Pocosin Lakes, it was close to 3 pm and I needed to start working my way home. I headed up to Edenton and through Elizabeth City towards Virginia Beach. I didn't take any pics of this leg as it started raining and I just wanted to get home. It was a great trip and I'd do it again. I left my phone at home and was as off-the-grid as you can get nowadays. This stuff can put your life into perspective.

Crossing Perquimans river, headed home

My route, google maps
http://goo.gl/maps/3ZzfB

mdfiasco screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 02:09 PM
mdfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #20028
mdfiasco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
Just looked up Portsmouth Island on Google. It looks... creepy. Are the houses there abandoned? Looks like the pier is washed out too. More pics!!
The houses are abandoned, but maintained by NC parks service. The pier is washed out, but there's a pier on the north end of the island. I was dropped off on the beach though, on the southeast point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW1 View Post
Love the OBX, great ride. BTW how did you get your bike to Portsmouth Island? I know you can hire a local to take you but I thought they only took hikers and such?
I left my bike in the municipal lot on Ocracoke and had Rudy Austin take me over on his skiff. It cost $60 round trip, but would've been lower if he had other people going over. Totally worth the cost.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #20029
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
mdfiasco, thanks for sharing! Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Nuggets, love your bike!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #20030
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,374
Great report MDF

I get pretty frustrated by having to live here but that was a good reminder that there are still some fantastic places to visit and adventures to be had in our area.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #20031
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,896
Looks like a good trip. So one does not have to go West for an adventure.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #20032
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Yes, great report! My mother-in-law grew up in Swanquarter and I've been to a couple of funerals down there. It's kinda like backwoods Florida in a way. I've got to get back down there myself on the bike sometime. Thanks for the report!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #20033
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
Awesome report and pics. I had no idea any of that stuff was even there.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #20034
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Great report! I was thinking of trip around that area a few years ago then thought, naw, there's nothing there. Need to re-visit it.

Maybe a fall trip would be nice after the kids were back in school or sometime in May.
COG 5903
roger123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #20035
mdfiasco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
Great report! I was thinking of trip around that area a few years ago then thought, naw, there's nothing there. Need to re-visit it.

Maybe a fall trip would be nice after the kids were back in school or sometime in May.
Honestly, I didn't think there would be much there either. But once I started re-routing and trying to stay off even state highways, the hidden gems were revealed.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #20036
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,797
Team Wanker Powers! ACTIVATE!!!!!

Wanker

Even though I do not get to ride the little Katoom much. Every time I throw a leg over and get to blast some dirt and trails.............I go WEEEEEE-WEEEE-WEEEEEE!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #20037
stoked steve
Tag-o-holic

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
Honestly, I didn't think there would be much there either. But once I started re-routing and trying to stay off even state highways, the hidden gems were revealed.
Awesome R&R

Thanks for all the pics and stories, good stuff!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #20038
msgvb

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
So, my 3-day tour down the OBX...this is going to be a long, photo-heavy post...

Left Monday @0530 from VB Oceanfront and headed south through Pungo on Princess Anne Rd. Took the Knotts Island Ferry to get over to 158 at Currituck. From there it was a casual ride all the way to 12S and Hatteras. Along the way, I stopped at Bodie Island Light, Secret Spot Surf Shop, and random fuelups. Once at Buxton, I boarded the ferry to Ocracoke. There were so many SUVs and screaming kids, all trying to get away from it all. Nobody is willing to go as far as I am, and I'll get away from the sunburned fannie-pack wearing masses soon enough.

My route, google maps
http://goo.gl/maps/3ZzfB
holy crap man! what a fantastic journey!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #20039
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Can anybody recommend somewhere for physical therapy in Hampton?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #20040
okennon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Poondangle

I've been outa touch...what did you do to yourself? Chuckatuckman
Hey I just clicked onto rallywestva. site and I see it's been cancelled. Did I get the right site and year?

okennon screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 05:19 AM
okennon is offline   Reply With Quote