ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #61
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,794
I've lived in a lot of cities and the one constant I hear, is the drivers all suck "over there/from here/from there etc.". In general, the bigger the cities, the more the traffic and complaints about the other drivers. I wouldn't categorize Portland any worse than any other city of a similar size, and I certainly wouldnt' use it as a criteria for choosing wether to live here or not.

Kinda like travelling - You get all the stories about all the bad people in the next town/state/country that will surely rob you or rip you off, but when you get there, you find they are just like the last town and say the same thing about where you just came from.

But I would consider your commute when it comes time to choose your place to live. Just as I wouldn't commute from Oakland to San Jose, I wouldn't want to commute from Vacouver to Portland daily.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #62
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I've lived in a lot of cities and the one constant I hear, is the drivers all suck "over there/from here/from there etc.". In general, the bigger the cities, the more the traffic and complaints about the other drivers. I wouldn't categorize Portland any worse than any other city of a similar size, and I certainly wouldnt' use it as a criteria for choosing wether to live here or not.

Kinda like travelling - You get all the stories about all the bad people in the next town/state/country that will surely rob you or rip you off, but when you get there, you find they are just like the last town and say the same thing about where you just came from.

But I would consider your commute when it comes time to choose your place to live. Just as I wouldn't commute from Oakland to San Jose, I wouldn't want to commute from Vacouver to Portland daily.
Truthiness in all this..I don't think Portland is really that much worse than Denver was..as far as AMOUNT of traffic..but the passive aggressive BS here is far greater..FAR GREATER..

In Vegas..there was ALOT of traffic..but we all flowed along at a comfortable 80-90 MPH...it was nice..the guy coming down the on ramp, knew damn good and well, he better be doing 75 by the time he wanted to merge..we all new the center lane was for turning..AND pulling into from a driveway/parking lot and used to ACCELERATE some instead of waiting for the perfect hole in both directions of traffic..when you do it here, people look at you like you just invented the wheel or something..:loll

Florida..don't even get me started..holy hell it sux..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #63
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,794

Finding Portland from Uncage the Soul Productions on Vimeo.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #64
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Freeways in Portland are dangerous by construction. They stack ramps dangerous close, and the ramps themselves are extremely short.
It makes for heavy congestion and miserable stop and go traffic. You enter the freeway lucky to start at 40 mph w/o nitrous, and the same ramp is an exit ramp 500 feet later. Courtesy is nice, and it helps slow down traffic as well.
Most Calif. Bay area ramps are long enough to get up to speed for safe merging at 70 mph. Once you get in traffic, you can have 4 flat tires and they will push you to your destination.

The Trails

Quote:
We really like it here...any kind of food you want, as lkng as you want Thai or Pizza ...people are pretty decent, great motorcycle roads!!! Dirt biking sux ballz...after you buy the thirty permits you need, you drive an hour to ride, to a small trail system, then an hour back...I just sold my dirt bike.

If this is what you are used too..I'm sure it's great..in Colorado, our small trail system had in excess of 700 mkles of single and double track..there were three like that within three hours..two of them within' an hour..in Vegas..hundreds of miles..hundreds..it was a huge let down for me here.
Never been to Colorado- lifelong Trask riders still rave about their trips to CO some 20 yrs ago. Our trail systems aren't anywhere as big. Until you cross the Cascades. The Bend guys keep the dirtbike DS and Big DS bikes ready for action. They can still ride out the back door to Utah and beyond with minimum pavement use. Put SE Oregon and Northern NV on your list for the GS rides.

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 03:22 PM
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #65
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,363
I used to commute from Lake Grove to the NW Industrial Area on a motorcycle in the winter time through the Terwilliger curves. I'm lucky to be alive.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #66
Peak_Oil
Not One 2 Floss

Oddometer: 350
I moved here about five years ago from LA. I lived in NW Portland, Sheridan, Beaverton, and now in Oregon City, where we bought a house. I'm glad I rented for a few years before buying. It took a little time to kind of suss things out and decide what kind of people I want to raise my kids around.

The people in and around Portland are great. They're nice, honest, fair, and friendly. It's a great place to be. The ADV guys are really cool people. Oregon is a great integration of people with a variety of interests that keeps things interesting.

Good luck in your search for your new home, maybe one of these days I'll be able to break away and come back to Thursday nights.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #67
Jazz62 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Well, despite our best hopes and efforts I'm sad to say that it doesn't look like we'll be able to make the move.

Mrs Jazz's interview with the board of ED people went great, they loved her, kept her for 30 minutes when most others were getting 5. She received two job offers but both were for what they refer to as .5 positions.

Much thanks to all of you for your input and encouraging words.
Jazz62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #68
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Very cool vid, Scoot, worth reposting.

Jazz62, so you are keeping the bike ? Good.

BSkye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #69
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak_Oil View Post
I moved here about five years ago from LA. I lived in NW Portland, Sheridan, Beaverton, and now in Oregon City, where we bought a house. I'm glad I rented for a few years before buying. It took a little time to kind of suss things out and decide what kind of people I want to raise my kids around.

The people in and around Portland are great. They're nice, honest, fair, and friendly. It's a great place to be. The ADV guys are really cool people. Oregon is a great integration of people with a variety of interests that keeps things interesting.

Good luck in your search for your new home, maybe one of these days I'll be able to break away and come back to Thursday nights.
Thanks for the compliments and glad you enjoyed your visit, now go back home to Kalifornia. J/K
Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 AM   #70
PDXLoki
Not Dirty. Yet.

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
.5 positions.
Does that mean part time? Did they yank your collective chain all the way across the country over what might be a couple days a week of work? If so, that's a douche move to not announce it first.
PDXLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:18 AM   #71
eric n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/..._courteou.html
eric n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #72
Jazz62 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkye View Post
Jazz62, so you are keeping the bike ? Good.
Funny you should ask. I just posted this last week (sad tale warning);

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979776

Couldn't bring myself to do it until three days ago when on my way home from a gig at 2am the tranny in my car grenaded. The choice has been made for me, just took some pics of the big GS yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXLoki View Post
Does that mean part time? Did they yank your collective chain all the way across the country over what might be a couple days a week of work? If so, that's a douche move to not announce it first.
Yes, it means part-time. Her interview took place during a cattle-call job fair but Mrs Jazz didn't have to partake in the cattle-call part of it. It's a two day affair, only some people are called back after the first day for actual interviews. They asked her to come for an interview and didn't require her to register for the cattle-call. We were hopeful this meant that they were really impressed with her credentials and experience and essentially put her at the head of the line so to speak. So this is why we made the trip out there, it seemed like she had a foot in the door. I think the two principals who offered her the part-time positions are more likely the numbnuts in this case because they know full well that we would be relocating from Chicago. So I guess I won't be seeing this again!!!

Jazz62 screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 08:07 AM
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #73
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Oddometer: 1,396
In Portland now. Anyone want to link up?

Good morning.

I rode in early. I camped out about 9.4 miles N.W. of town.

I am at the LaQuinta Inn in the N.W. part of town.

I am searching for motels for about $60/night. I may stay a couple of days.

__
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #74
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Good morning.

I am at the LaQuinta Inn in the N.W. part of town.

I am searching for motels for about $60/night. I may stay a couple of days.

__

Whatta ya Wearing?

Not that I really wanted to know but I'm sure some of that Portland Crowd is curious.:ymca
Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #75
Jazz62 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
Whatta ya Wearing?
Now that is funny right there