ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #21526
dominican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Dang, Dominican, glad you are OK! Did the jackass stop or did he pretend nothing happened?

I will be coming up to NYC for three or four days to visit my daughter. She has a sublet on 112th 3 doors down from Broadway. I will sadly be in the minivan instead of my K1200S. Is there any offstreet parking in that area? I am planning to cruise around hoping to pounce on a street spot but in case none is available it would be nice to have another option.

THanks,

Mike
He pretended nothing happened. I looked over my bike and other than the gold paint, it was fine, so I just kept rolling. Life is too short to care too much.
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #21527
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
He pretended nothing happened. I looked over my bike and other than the gold paint, it was fine, so I just kept rolling. Life is too short to care too much.
Glad you made it out of that one OK.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #21528
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewCopter View Post
I've done this from Astoria -> Elizabeth NJ a whole lot of times around 7-8am. I cannot speak for the evening as I had to go roundtrip all in the am. In the morning, if you aren't leaving by 6am or so I would just suck it up and take RFK bridge to GWB. The WB tunnels might be ok but manhattan will be a clusterffff by then.
Thanks for the tips. Yesterday I left home before 6:30 and go into Newark before 8, while also dropping my fiance at work. Going back home I left at 6:30 heading towards the GWB to the RFK and it took less than an hour total.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #21529
Brutalguyracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
So
Did i get this correct
If u have an aftermarket exhaust, they will impound your bike????
Brutalguyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #21530
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalguyracing View Post
So
Did i get this correct

I doubt that.
If they start doing that, they're going to be awfully busy.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #21531
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
When I was locking up my bike at home this evening, I suddenly realized that I didn't have the sign, but the clips were still on the cover, which means I didn't take it off the cover, which means someone stole it.
So my sign has returned! Someone found it in a flower bed around the corner and gave it back to me at work this morning. It either blew off and flopped around the corner, or someone stole it then decided they didn't want it and dropped it. Either way, it made my day.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #21532
Brutalguyracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Woot
Brutalguyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #21533
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
So
Did i get this correct

It technically *can* happen, but in practice usually does not--there are a lot of motos in NYC, and even harassment from da fuzz has limits when it comes to sheer numbers.

A five-o is more likely to simply issue a citation for aftermarket exhaust if he's already stopped you for something else and you happened to annoy him or he's just in a bad mood that day.

I think exceptions to exhaust "compliance" can often be vintage and/or custom cycles that clearly don't have a manufacturer's exhaust standard to adhere to.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #21534
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Question

Hey all, my Vstrom buying adventure continues. The previous one did not work out, it was sold before I could take a test drive.

I've scheduled another test drive this Saturday with an out of state private owner that has a loan on the bike.

How do we complete the sale when the title has a lien? I've done some googling but I'm finding conflicting information.

Many Thanks

Kevin
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #21535
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Hey all, my Vstrom buying adventure continues. The previous one did not work out, it was sold before I could take a test drive.

I've scheduled another test drive this Saturday with an out of state private owner that has a loan on the bike.

How do we complete the sale when the title has a lien? I've done some googling but I'm finding conflicting information.

Many Thanks

Kevin

He needs to pay off the loan in full. Then the lien release takes some time to release. In my case it took 3 days with overnighting.

The catch is it's hard to pay off the loan without getting the cash from the sale first.
In my case I did what others would recommend NOT doing.
I built a level of trust with the buyer. He gave me a check made out to bmw for the amount of the sale, and I gave him the bike and a signed over title. At that point the lien was still active but the buyer had the bike, a signed title, and a bill of sale we both signed.
A few days later after the full payments were sent to bmw the line was released. He then registered the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #21536
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 642
Has he paid off the loan already? if so he should have a loan payoff letter from the lending institution. If not, and he is doing it after the sale, then you will not be able to register the bike until he provides you with the payoff letter. This will take at least 5-7 working days, even with overnighting of bank check to lien holder.
Once you have the lein payoff letter, you present that to the DMV along with the signed over title, the DTF-802, MV-81, and your insurance card and your good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post

Many Thanks

Kevin
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #21537
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Hi All,

I'm still looking for a radiator shop that will (attempt to) fix the small leak in my bike's radiator. If you can think of anyone please give me a shout. I've called a couple of shops and they say they only work on cars ... I don't know what the difference might be. I would be bringing the radiator in sans bike.

If you know of a good way to plug small, hard to find holes (broken joint?), I'd appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks!
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #21538
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 642
You could send it out. I believe they have a quick turn around time.
http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Hi All,

I'm still looking for a radiator shop that will (attempt to) fix the small leak in my bike's radiator. If you can think of anyone please give me a shout. I've called a couple of shops and they say they only work on cars ... I don't know what the difference might be. I would be bringing the radiator in sans bike.

If you know of a good way to plug small, hard to find holes (broken joint?), I'd appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks!
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #21539
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
You could send it out. I believe they have a quick turn around time.
http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/
Quote:
Free Remote Controlled Helicopter for every purchase over $150!!!
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #21540
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,705
Quote:
So
Did i get this correct
What parameters New York City's jackbooted thugs in blue use to impound a motorcycle right now, is anyone's guess. From what I can tell, the cops at these checkpoints have no fucking idea what the laws really are. They're inclined to write tickets for what they think is illegal and force you to defend yourself later.

As for actual laws...

There is a NYC law passed in 2007 which states you can be ticketed if the bike is "plainly audible" at over 200'. I don't know if it has ever been enforced. I do know that cops whine about it requiring too much coordination to enforce.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/24/2/6/24-236

There are NYS equipment laws which prohibit cut-outs, removable baffles, lack of baffles, etc. Fairly easy to enforce using a flashlight and a stick.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/III/9/381

There are also NYS laws which govern the noise amplitude, which are essentially impossible to enforce in an urban setting.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/III/10/386

And there are federal laws which govern noise, labeling, etc. at the time of manufacture, sale and import but they are not locally enforceable to end users, at least not in NY. A few localities around the country (and the state of California) do have laws in place which incorporate parts of the CFR as they pertain to labeling but they are largely unenforced due to threats of law suits (i.e. Boston) or can be superseded by an actual noise test (i.e. Denver).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/part-205

So what this all means is, no, an "aftermarket exhaust" is not by itself a cause for a ticket here. If on the other hand that aftermarket exhaust is too loud and/or lacks proper baffling, that IS a cause for a ticket here.