ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #61
Lumberjeff OP
River City MC

Oddometer: 83
We are leaving Tacoma Friday around 12:00pm. We will ride down and make a few stops along the way (you know how thirsty we get).

Don't worry about nothing in the mail. Your name is on the site so your good to go. Especially now that you know it is in Oregon!

Yes you do need ORV tags and WA tags are fine. You also need the Oregon rider education card I believe as well. You can take the test and get the card online.

Don't forget to put your number on your bike.

No worries and it will be a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc1 View Post
OK, so my boss is off leave and I'm done doing both of our jobs (poorly). Been a lot of late nights the last coupla weeks.

So, before I head over to that particular thread on ADV...any plans for travel out to the Black Dog? I'm on leave starting Thursday. I'd planned to ride out, but depending on the situation, could contribute my Nissan Frontier (full size bed) and possible a folding trailer...which I have not yet registered in the great state of WA since I just finished building it and don't want to pay the taxes on if I don't need it.

I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. Should I be worried? Will I survive without? I need to sit down and do some reading so I know what's expected. Kinda signed up blind because you animals said it was a good idea. ;-) It could be observed that I have no earthly idea what I'm doing here. I've just now realized that this is in Oregon, not WA! But I've got a Moose racing roll-chart now...still new in the packaging.

BTW, do I need a WA ORV-sticker on the bike or not? I'm genuinely confused at this page: http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/ATV/Pages...te_ATV_Permits I know that I only need a Discovery Pass in WA because the bike is street legal and registered. Same in OR?

There I am, #143. Registered for adventure. Gotta get a taste of what's what here. Can't wait!
http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/Ent...isYear2014.htm
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc
I'M THIRSTY FOR A HARMON BEER
Lumberjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #62
havoc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Damn that's confusing! Will get online and get 'er done.

Hey, what Scala sets do you guys use? Any extras? If not, I'm gonna look at picking one up. Any suggestions on what NOT to use? Would no doubt be a hoot just for the running Ron & Jeff comedy show on the way down.

Edit to add: Grrrr! That site is a PITA! 11 chapters, you have to click through each page, answer 5 or so questions at the end, and then you have to answer 50 questions at the end. If you screw up a chapter quiz, it locks you out for 10min. Bah! But I'm done.

havoc1 screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 09:02 PM Reason: The OR ORV website test SUCKS!
havoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #63
Lumberjeff OP
River City MC

Edit to add: Grrrr! That site is a PITA! 11 chapters, you have to click through each page, answer 5 or so questions at the end, and then you have to answer 50 questions at the end. If you screw up a chapter quiz, it locks you out for 10min. Bah! But I'm done.[/QUOTE]

Don't you feel safe & edumacted now though?

Actually disregard all of the teaching because it won't apply to us.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc
Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #64
Mrktm118
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
If you haven't picked up a scala yet I have one you can borrow. Let me know.
Mrktm118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #65
havoc1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrktm118 View Post
If you haven't picked up a scala yet I have one you can borrow. Let me know.
Dude, that'd be way easier. I'll definitely take you up on it.

Gotta get out now and run errands, the better to escape the bonds of honey-do tomorrow!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #66
havoc1
Adventurer

Question Which place for the meetup?

Are we meeting at the north (ex116) or south (ex114) point on this?
https://goo.gl/maps/iFG7T

I'll be there at noon, unless you guys are running late.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #67
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,633
6-18-14

Think I'll stop in and say 'hello'.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #68
Mrktm118
Adventurer

I'll be there this week! No bike since it will be in the shop getting the suspension done to R specs with new springs. Can't wait for the suspension to work like it should!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #69
havoc1
Adventurer

Holy cow, manuals for Little Fox and the gang?! Who knew!?

http://www.cardosystems.com/us/downl...ls/g9-tutorial

Just printed out a set for some study...
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #70
Lumberjeff OP
River City MC

Fantastic, I cant wait to attend your Scala University. I need to attend your GPS University first though. And don't worry I'm not a bring the teacher an apple type of guy. I'll bring beer!

Quote:
Holy cow, manuals for Little Fox and the gang?! Who knew!?

http://www.cardosystems.com/us/downl...ls/g9-tutorial

Just printed out a set for some study...
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc
Old 06-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #71
Mrktm118
Adventurer

Did you buy a scala? If not let me know and ill bring the one I have & you can be little fox again.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #72
havoc1
Adventurer

I ended up buying a set. First so I can talk to a kid in the side-car, and second so I can talk to you animals when I'm not too far behind, choking on KTM dust.

Jeff, I just got done converting all the tracks to routes. Something to look at, but what maps do you have on that Monterra? If it's just the Garmin city navigator roadmaps and the 100k topo map, you'll want to go here and install these:

1. Garmin basecamp - http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp
2. Washington Topo - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/522/
3. Northwest Topos - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/412/
4. Northwest Trails - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/27/
5. US Planimetric NW - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/259/

This way, you have a background when you go to actually look at the tracks, rather than a vague idea that somewhere up front, you'll turn left. Install for all that stuff should take more than 30min once you've got all of it downloaded.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #73
Mrktm118
Adventurer

What time is the scala class this weekend?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #74
havoc1
Adventurer

Woops, forgot to run that clinic. Got distracted by beer. Actually, I figure it'd be more like a guided self-interpreted tour, since I'm still learning.

Hey Jeff, if you can't recover the Garmin streets & cities (I'd seriously holler at Garmin customer service before giving up, since you just paid for it), I just found a sealed CD from 2009. It would probably work for the meantime. I'll bring it along on Wednesday.

If you can forward to Ron, I sent an email with the link to the Google Drive where I saved pictures. Don't have any of you guys, but some of the locations should look familiar, and the pics/vid of Mandy riding Wiel's 1200GS for her 2nd total day on 2 wheels are a hoot.

Thanks for talking me into this one. Probably the best set of rides I've done!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #75
Lumberjeff OP
River City MC

Brian, I'm glad to hear you had so much fun. I know we did too, it was a great weekend. No worries about the clinic I'm not sure that we would have been the best students anyhow. We were distracted ourselves. I was able to recover the CN and it seems to be working again. Thanks for the offer of the CD though. I did forward that email to Ron as well.

See ya tomorrow.

Quote:
Woops, forgot to run that clinic. Got distracted by beer. Actually, I figure it'd be more like a guided self-interpreted tour, since I'm still learning.

Hey Jeff, if you can't recover the Garmin streets & cities (I'd seriously holler at Garmin customer service before giving up, since you just paid for it), I just found a sealed CD from 2009. It would probably work for the meantime. I'll bring it along on Wednesday.

If you can forward to Ron, I sent an email with the link to the Google Drive where I saved pictures. Don't have any of you guys, but some of the locations should look familiar, and the pics/vid of Mandy riding Wiel's 1200GS for her 2nd total day on 2 wheels are a hoot.

Thanks for talking me into this one. Probably the best set of rides I've done!
1979 VESPA P125X/166cc