User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #796
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Any GS800 installs yet?
Hopefully we will get one done here at the shop soon.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #797
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Any GS800 installs yet?
I would consider trying a 9005/hb3 instead of the hid in my 60 mm projector.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #798
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Have a new 1290 superduke...it has a h4 bulb. I tried a led from another company and while the install was a breeze, it blinks on & off and gives a bulb out message. Reinstall of oem bulb and all is well. Do you think your h4 led bulb will work? I'm ready to purchase if you think it'll work.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #799
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Any GS800 installs yet?
Wow,love to see pictures of a F800GS/700GS. Was going to do HID, but hope this is good with the H7.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #800
uomoorsomaiale
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question oilhead R12GS install experience?

Very interested in these as I had to remove HID because of the frequency I was being flashed (when the neighbors flash you, its neighborly to take note). Saw someone installed in 2012 GSA. I have 2011 R12GS. Will that be the same routine? Anyone with oilhead GS installation?

thanks!
uomoorsomaiale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #801
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Any GS800 installs yet?
Are the 650 twins and the 800's similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uomoorsomaiale View Post
Very interested in these as I had to remove HID because of the frequency I was being flashed (when the neighbors flash you, its neighborly to take note). Saw someone installed in 2012 GSA. I have 2011 R12GS. Will that be the same routine? Anyone with oilhead GS installation?

thanks!
It looks like BMW hadn't changed the housing too much between 2008 and 2012. The HID I removed from my 2012 GSA was first in my
2008 GS(Hex Head).

Lensgrinder screwed with this post 06-24-2014 at 11:31 AM
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #802
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Has anyone fitted the H7 on a Buell Ulysses? Would like to switch out my HID kit which scatters light all over.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #803
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Have a new 1290 superduke...it has a h4 bulb. I tried a led from another company and while the install was a breeze, it blinks on & off and gives a bulb out message. Reinstall of oem bulb and all is well. Do you think your h4 led bulb will work? I'm ready to purchase if you think it'll work.

I have not heard of that. and am hesitant to say YES no issues since I honestly have not tried it in the supeduke.
So far I know of no issues with canbus, codes or any other issues that would make our bulb blink or cause an issue.
1-800-624-0278
Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #804
CNS-IT
Let Go

Oddometer: 525
I installed the H7 bulb in my 2009 F800GS.

I followed another riders post (above) and his pictures helped.

I was a bit confused on how to get the bulb in, after taking the original bulb out. But once I figured out how to take off the bracket and press the bulb in, it was easy.

My Cover fit over the heat Sink/Fan with out issue. I drilled a few holes in the cover for better air flow.

I have ran the LED light now for about 2K miles with no issues. Dirt roads, highway, no problems.

Quote:
Any GS800 installs yet?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #805
brasters
Just Bob

Oddometer: 121
Question

I installed the H7 LED bulb in a 07 R1200GSA which had HID before. The issues I had were as follows, the fan hits the round dust cover on the low beam. Since I still had the hole for the HID wiring harness, I could see the fan was up against the cover. this stops you from being able to adjust the light up or down using the adjustment lever/knob. The bulb hold down spring was extremely hard to get into place due to the fan placement. (I actually pulled the whole light housing out of the bike to make sure I was doing things right.) The light output was bright, but there was no discernible light pattern other then a splash of light right in front of the bike. Signs and reflective surfaces would light up in the distance but objects in the road would not show up till you were right on top of them. I don't know if this was due to not being able to adjust the light or the bulb placement in the housing. I have gone back to using the HID till there is a better LED solution. Just my own experience and I was able to return the light bulb.

2007 R1200GSA Alpine White
brasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #806
DieselFxr
Rider

Oddometer: 27
2005 F650GS install

I installed the LED lamp this week on my F650 with some minor fitment issues. I was replacing a HID kit that I had in place for the last 3 years, it was beginning to fail. First off its bright to look at as are most LEDs. I use the bike to commute on and ride home after midnight most days. It seems to have a much better pattern than the HID did not much difference from low to high beam though. I had to bend the 3 locating tabs on the H4 adapter to get a tight fit. The 650 doesn't give one much working room unless you remove the lamp assembly which I didn't do, I will open it up later in the season and tidy things up.
DieselFxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #807
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNS-IT View Post
I installed the H7 bulb in my 2009 F800GS.

I followed another riders post (above) and his pictures helped.

I was a bit confused on how to get the bulb in, after taking the original bulb out. But once I figured out how to take off the bracket and press the bulb in, it was easy.

My Cover fit over the heat Sink/Fan with out issue. I drilled a few holes in the cover for better air flow.

I have ran the LED light now for about 2K miles with no issues. Dirt roads, highway, no problems.
Thank you!
1-800-624-0278
Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #808
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters View Post
I installed the H7 LED bulb in a 07 R1200GSA which had HID before. The issues I had were as follows, the fan hits the round dust cover on the low beam. Since I still had the hole for the HID wiring harness, I could see the fan was up against the cover. this stops you from being able to adjust the light up or down using the adjustment lever/knob. The bulb hold down spring was extremely hard to get into place due to the fan placement. (I actually pulled the whole light housing out of the bike to make sure I was doing things right.) The light output was bright, but there was no discernible light pattern other then a splash of light right in front of the bike. Signs and reflective surfaces would light up in the distance but objects in the road would not show up till you were right on top of them. I don't know if this was due to not being able to adjust the light or the bulb placement in the housing. I have gone back to using the HID till there is a better LED solution. Just my own experience and I was able to return the light bulb.
We have found that on many installs it is far easier to remove the base and install the base then the bulb.
I noticed in a few post back that a customer had removed the fan cover and used the bulb in his GS1200 and reinstalled the cover. Personally I would probably leave the headlight cap off. The inner light reflector is still caped by the bulb base.
Thanks for giving it a try and for sharing your experience.
1-800-624-0278
Old 06-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #809
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensgrinder View Post
I just installed one in my wife's 2009 650 twin and my 2012 1200 GSA.
The H7 unit fit just fine.

What I did to get the clip fastened after removing the old bulb was loosen the screw on the right side holding the pivot side of the retaining clip so I could remove the clip completely.

Slide the clip on to the new bulb, plug in the connectors then slip the connectors and the wires into the housing.

Hook the two looped ends of the clip on the left side first, then with a screw driver push the pivoting side of the clip so you can grip it with needle nose pliers, then push under the head of the screw and into and tighten the screw.

Be sure to position the leads out of the bulb at 12 o'clock, I couldn't get the cover on if it was at 6 o'clock position.

After reading a few more posts I realize I need to drill vent holes which will be easy enough.

The light works great, Brown headlight lead is ground, yellow is hot.
Richard

Thank You
The GS1200 install sounds like it worked out well.
1-800-624-0278
Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #810
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Thank You
The GS1200 install sounds like it worked out well.
It did.

Install went well after figuring out a procedure for attaching the retaining clip.

My wife likes it because her bike is more visible with the brighter light.
Thanks.
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote