Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #481
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 843
Tony, Just PM'd for payment instructions.

We depart Cinci on Sept 12th and start the ride on Sunday the 14th.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #482
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,106
Fantastic, D'bob! Welcome aboard ...

I just sent you a PM response, so check your inbox.

The license fee schedule is based on the number of vehicles:

1-2 vehicles, $199
3-4 vehicles, $299
5-7 vehicles, $399

Checks, money orders, PayPal ... they all work. (No bitcoin, please ...) Then I deliver the track file to you ... with much more to follow.

And yes, I do have groups that include a support truck.

Noting that you'll have a fellow in a Jeep along, I'll add that that's a common approach. Wives, seniors, families, folks who don't or can't ride a moto just follow along with all the gear.

It's a great way to do it!

In fact, a couple of years ago I guided a German gruppe (which included four-time Paris-Dakar completer Eddy Hau) along much of the route, with me driving the support truck and trailer. It worked very well.

Send up a smoke signal if you've further questions, Dynobob!

byways screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 09:24 AM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #483
byways OP
byways

Where do you plan to launch from, Dynobob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Tony, Just PM'd for payment instructions.

We depart Cinci on Sept 12th and start the ride on Sunday the 14th.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #484
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

On Frank's .gpx route it crosses I-80 at Rawlins, Wy. If that's still the case, probably there...

Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #485
byways OP
byways

Rawlins ...

The route has been improved substantially since then. Here's a preview of what morning now brings on Day 1 for those who begin at Rawlins (if you go south\clockwise) ...

byways screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 09:26 AM
Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #486
byways OP
byways

Fly fishing in Idaho? Oh my heck ...

... I thought, when a H.o.W. client recently inquired, explaining that his group may want to wet their lines along the way.

Idaho is world-renowned for such blue-ribbon fishing waters as the Henrys Fork of the Snake River (Heart of the West ADV Route runs right along it!), the nearby South Fork of the Snake River (below, where Vice President Dick Cheney and his Secret Service detachment spent many days adrift), Yellowstone's Madison River and others.

So what the heck ... Bring your rod and your favorite flies! You can spend an hour, a day ... whatever you wish. People travel from all over the world to fish our waters. Why not join 'em?

Learn more about fishing Idaho here.

byways screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 01:34 PM Reason: update information
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #487
byways OP
byways

Lodgings for the '14 season

Many H.o.W. travelers enjoy a mix of camping nights, or just lodging their way each night through the route's six states without the fuss that camping involves.

High on the list of places to stay has been historic and elegantly renovated Miner's Delight Inn B&B, in the mountain hamlet of Atlantic City, Wyoming.

Many, however, will be disappointed to learn that the inn is not taking further reservations for the summer.

Fortunately, a number of H.o.W. groups months ago made known to the owners their desire for a night's accommodation, and so shall be welcomed at one of the route's crown jewels.

For those who wish or need to stop at Atlantic City, there are two Bureau of Land Management campgrounds, and a couple of undeveloped campsites on public lands nearby. Not the same, I know.

The good news: In my continuing quest to identify convenient accommodations that fit the spirit of Heart of the West travel, I've come upon Pinedale, Wyoming's, historic Log Cabin Motel.

It's just a block or two from the heart of this authentic little town at the foot of the Wind River Mountains. The owners assure me they're moto-friendly, and know the appeal of being able to park one's bike right outside their charming little cabins.

(photos below are provided by Log Cabin Motel)

Pinedale is an important stop along the route, either before or after (depending on whether one travels clockwise or CCW) one braves the long and remote stretches of Oregon Trail that are part of the H.o.W. experience.

Travelers often prefer Pinedale -- where ranchers, energy workers, hikers, climbers and ADV travelers find a comfortable cultural mix -- to more famous Jackson, the pricey tourism-driven community that H.o.W. bypasses.

As conditions clear up "out there," I shall continue exploring further opportunities for a comfortable night amid authentic American West settings. And as always, I do not receive any form of compensation, discounts, etc. for mentioning these establishments.

byways screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 09:19 AM
Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #488
byways OP
byways

Speaking of the Oregon Trail ...

... I've just returned from Wyoming -- where I once lived, where my wife and I met -- concluding a long day exploring and recording tracks for a particularly long and remote segment of the historic migration route.

It soon will be added to H.o.W., providing yet another option to adapt the route to one's interests, itinerary and riding style.

First, I crossed a river, still high and fast with spring runoff ... an incongruous sight in Wyoming's high desert:

Then I made my way through a badland and onto the vast sagebrush plain. The wind was merciless. Clouds far to the east obscured the snowy peaks of the Wind River Range.

This lonely stretch of trail -- where the air was sweet with the scent of springtime sage -- preserves the emigrant experience more than any other I know of. Hours went by here, deep in the heart of the west, and I encountered not another soul ...

Along the way, I came upon the trailside grave of emigrant Lucinda B. Wright, mother of seven.

The cause of her death is said to be unknown; but we know that cholera claimed many emigrant lives. Whatever the cause, one has to wonder what was it like for her family to leave her here, never to see her again after coming so far and enduring so much.

Her nephew remembered:
I shall never forget how desolate we felt as we hitched up the oxen and pulled out, leaving the freshly broken earth by the side of the Old Oregon Trail as the only visible sign that one of our number had finished the journey, while we must still travel on.

byways screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 07:40 AM Reason: edit text
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #489
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Nice work Tony. This is the first I've been able to catch up with this thread since you went on vacation, been working and playing.

I'm wondering if anyone who's doing this ride in September is planning on starting in Colorado? There are a couple of things up in the air for my riding buddy and he may not be able to do the ride. If this is the case I need to come up with a plan B, as there were so far only the two of us. I'm trying to talk a couple of my retired friends to consider going, but so far nothing definite. This doesn't look like the kind of ride one wants to do alone.

If anyone is starting in CO and has room for an extra rider, let me know. I would be honest about my riding capabilities to see if there's compatibility. My riding buddy should know something definite pretty soon, but it never hurts to have a backup plan.

Tony, when do think you will send updated info on the tracks?
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #490
byways OP
byways

TxTiger, I'm sorry to hear about the uncertainty involving your companion. These trips are a big commitment, and I know how much and for how long you've been looking forward to it.

Can anyone out there take one more rider (who has been a real gentleman in the course of our longtime online relationship)?

I don't at the moment recall anyone who is starting in Colorado, TxTiger, but there must be; Meeker has been a popular start/end point.

Rawlins, Wyoming, is a popular start/end point, since the route passes close to it and Rawlins is conveniently located on Interstate 80. I wonder if anyone who's doing so might have room for one more ...

In addition to posting here, you might also launch a new thread in your "Regional" forum, and in "Trip Planning."

If you do, be sure to use a direct and clear title so it grabs people's attention. In the meantime, if I sense an opportunity, I'll make a pitch on your behalf.

Regarding sending out updated tracks ... it's going to take me through this coming weekend to get this new Oregon Trail option cleaned up and ready to paste into the main H.o.W. file.

There are two others that I hope to revisit in coming weeks, as things continue to dry out. One is in Utah (the roadway has been relocated a few hundred feet due to recurrent flooding, but I'm told the change doesn't affect navigation at all); and the other, in Idaho, involves a 10,000-foot summit adjacent to the Continental Divide, so it's a few weeks early yet.

Both are currently in the file, and are functionally fine.

I did get into the mountains near the Idaho/Montana line the other day, verifying a custom route for a California group. Things are looking very good now ...

byways screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 11:15 AM Reason: add photos
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #491
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Thanks Tony, I appreciate you. Hopefully a plan B won't be necessary, and/or maybe I can recruit a couple of my retired riding friends.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #492
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,412
Maybe another so-cal ride group coming together...
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #493
byways OP
byways

Would that be legal?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #494
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Maybe another so-cal ride group coming together...
When are you thinking Chris? 630 or 800?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #495
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
When are you thinking Chris? 630 or 800?

Big bikes is the word, 800's, 990's, 1200's. Would likely ride out. Or trailer to Utah for jump off or something.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote