Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #1246
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,743
In a word, no.

Just use the balance mode.

As long as the BBAS's are in the 'normal' range, as called out by BMW, maximizing the vacuum first is, more or less a waste of time.
And as you found out results in poor performance.

JJ
ps and if you want to know what the 'normal' BBAS settings are for your bike, ask in GSpot.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #1247
tcassem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks JohnJen,

Appreciate the help.
tcassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #1248
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 202
Sent you a PM.
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #1249
Big B
Luft Kopf

Oddometer: 242
Thumb Easy

Just used my Harmoniser using Grok's instructions, it was a breeze! Even given I had done a complete carby rebuild!

Thank Grok great big of Kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
I'm going to jump in here.. Not too sure if it's a good idea because I don't own a Ural and the last one I tuned is a distant memory. This information will probably be useful for AIRHEAD OWNERS as well. If anyone thinks I'm full of crap or omitted something please do correct me.

There are 3 types of adjustments for balance and carb tuning.
1. Carburetor idle mixture
2. Idle balance and RPM combination.
3. Higher-RPM balance.

Do a careful valve adjust first. It helps immensely for smoothness.
Warm the engine to operating temperature, then shut it off.
Put a BAF (big ass fan) on it while doing the adjustments.

The first thing we are going to do is a rough idle balance and RPM adjustment. This will make sure the carbs are working roughly equally and are running on the idle jets instead of the main jets. This is in preparation for adjusting the idle mixture. If the bike is generally running well, this step 1 may not be necessary.

STEP 1. ROUGH BALANCE and RPM ADJUSTMENT.
PURPOSE: make sure carbs are contributing roughly equally and are operating on the idle jets by adjusting idle balance and RPM in Harmonizer balancer mode.

Disconnect the vacuum line from the left carb and remove the cap from the right. plug on the Harmonizer hoses and push the red button. After some seconds, the Harmonizer will finish it's calibration routine and stand ready in balancer mode. Put the petcock in prime position (this will bypass and defeat the vacuum shutoff function). Start the motor and blip the throttle a couple of times. Make sure there is a very small amount of slack in the cables. Adjust the idle stop screws (not the idle mixture screws) such that the Harmonizer shows balanced at around 1000 to 1100 RPM. You don't need to be too accurate here. We're going to redo it later. Shut off the motor.

STEP 2. IDLE MIXTURE ADJUSTMENTS
PURPOSE: Optimize idle mixture for each carb by adjusting for max vacuum in Harmonizer gauge mode.

Here's where we adjust the idle mixture for each carb. In the previous step we made sure both carbs were contributing roughly equally and were running on the adjustable idle jets. Disconnect the Harmonizer hose from the right carb and put the cap back on. At this point the Harmonizer should be connected with one hose only, yellow port to left carb. Put the Harmonizer in gauge mode by holding the button pressed until you see "gauge mode" and releasing the button. Start the engine. On the Harmonizer display you will see a left-zero graph and a numeric display that shows vacuum in inches of mercury along with the tach reading. The object is to adjust the idle mixture screw on the left carb such that the vacuum reading is as high as you can make it. Make small adjustments and give the Harmonizer a few seconds to settle after each small tweak. Once you've maximized the vacuum reading for the left carb, shut off the motor. Disconnect the Harmonizer from the left carb, replace the vacuum petcock hose, and remove the cap from the right carb. Connect the Harmonizer yellow port the the right carb. Still in gauge mode, repeat the process of adjusting the idle mixture screw for maximum vacuum on the right carb. Shut off the motor.

STEP 3. FINE IDLE BALANCE and RPM ADJUSTMENT.
PURPOSE: Fine tune idle balance after messing about with the idle mixture adjustments in step 2.

Step 3 is basically a repeat of step 1. The Harmonizer is in balancer mode and both hoses are connected. The object is to adjust the idle stop screws such that the Harmonizer show a balanced condition and the RPM's are within specifications. Shut off motor.

STEP 4: HIGHER RPM BALANCE.
PURPOSE: Adjust relative cable lengths such that the carbs are balanced above idle, while the cables are in control.

Make sure both cables have a small amount of slack - maybe 2mm or so.
Put the Harmonizer in balancer mode if it has automatically turned itself off. Restart the motor.

Adjust the relative cable length by adjusting ONE of the cable adjusters (the right side is traditional) such that the Harmonizer shows a balanced condition at around 3000 RPM or so.

That should do it!
Shutoff motor. Disconnect Harmonizer, replace petcock hose and vacuum cap, shutoff pectock.

Bask in your achievement!

Ride Reports
The Road to Nowhere
The Plan is there is NO PLAN! A Vietnamese Odyssey

"Semper in stercore versor, solum altitudo mutat"
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #1250
Toaster.Tan
Toaster Rider

Oddometer: 159
Any new information on future?

Sorry if this is redundant folks, but I've lurked for a couple years and think these won't be resurrected. Does anyone have any 'current' information as to the future of Grok's device?
80 CBX-SuperSport~91 R100GS-PD~04 R1150RT
Bobber project using 1203cc Thunderbolt engine.
Toaster.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #1251
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster.Tan View Post
Sorry if this is redundant folks, but I've lurked for a couple years and think these won't be resurrected. Does anyone have any 'current' information as to the future of Grok's device?
None here, but I just looked at Grok's profile. "Last Activity: 05-24-2013 01:56 PM"

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #1252
jbf
???????????????????!

Oddometer: 38
Dang this is just what I'm looking for too!

What a thread. Everyone's hopes up with no new harmonizers being produced (yet).

jbf screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 01:41 AM
jbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:18 AM   #1253
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 240
I have two, one never removed from the box, the other used on a BMW boxer just once that will soon be for sale.

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #1254
MattW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis9021 View Post
I have two, one never removed from the box, the other used on a BMW boxer just once that will soon be for sale.
I'd be delighted to buy one of you!

best

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #1255
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Basically the same thing is offered by CarbMate without the questionable availability issues and for less money:

http://carbmate.com/

$95 and free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-TS-111...+Vacuum+Gauges
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #1256
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,848
Cool2 Carbmate = Harmonizer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Basically the same thing is offered by CarbMate without the questionable availability issues and for less money:

http://carbmate.com/

$95 and free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-TS-111...+Vacuum+Gauges

Just curious... Have you ever owned or used Grok's Harmonizer?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #1257
buellzebub
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Just curious... Have you ever owned or used Grok's Harmonizer?

Dallara

~
Hi, I've used a TwinMax on my R1150GS and have been happy with that, what advantages does the Harmonizer have?

Mick

livin' the dream
buellzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #1258
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,848
Laugh Like comparing Apples to Moon Rockets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post
Hi, I've used a TwinMax on my R1150GS and have been happy with that, what advantages does the Harmonizer have?

Mick

livin' the dream

As a former owner and user of a TwinMax I can tell you the difference is like night and day... Or like comparing a 1970's Carabela to your latest favorite motorcycle model from your favorite manufacturer. It's that much of a difference.

The Harmonizer is much easier to use, infinitely faster in completing the job, and much more accurate in the process. I can't put it any plainer than that. In damn near the time it has taken you to open and read this post you could have literally been done with synching your throttle bodies.

Until you've used one it's hard to grasp what an improvement it is. But the Harmonizer is so good that I bought a second one when it looked like Grok was gonna' stop making them, just so I'd be sure to have a spare.

I never did that with a TwinMax, or any other synching solution, before.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #1259
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,807
cant one of you geniuses open it and replicate it? hes obviously done making them.
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #1260
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
cant one of you geniuses open it and replicate it? hes obviously done making them.
I'm sure he wants to, but rumour has it a nasty divorce is to blame......