Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #1006
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
The production samples arrived. They look pretty good though I am not certain they were actually built on machine as I expected. The factory building these samples by hand tells me nothing about the quality of their machine assembly which was the entire purpose of this exercise. That is a bit of a disappointment but not the end of the world. I'll begin testing them this week. Finger's crossed.

I also got the new mold master which has insulating tabs integrated into the design to protect from incidental short circuits. I expect to have 5 new Motobrains ready in short order for testing.

P1010013

P1010016 (2)
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #1007
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 63
Nice work! See if they can do it by hand so can I, if that's what it takes to get it on my bike this month I am all for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The production samples arrived. They look pretty good though I am not certain they were actually built on machine as I expected. The factory building these samples by hand tells me nothing about the quality of their machine assembly which was the entire purpose of this exercise. That is a bit of a disappointment but not the end of the world.
P1010013
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #1008
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
The production samples arrived. I expect to have 5 new Motobrains ready in short order for testing.

Looking forward to when they are available!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 AM   #1009
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Very nicely done

For my own use, I'm envisioning attaching my heated jacket to the motobrain. How do I adjust the current output to the jacket without having to access my phone?

I'm also thinking of attaching my LED auxiliary lights to the motobrain. How would I turn the lights on and off without having to add a handlebar switch?

My guess is I'll have to mount my phone on a RAM mount so I can access the app and control the circuits that I want activated or adjusted on the go.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #1010
Texcollect
Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Very nicely done

For my own use, I'm envisioning attaching my heated jacket to the motobrain. How do I adjust the current output to the jacket without having to access my phone?

I'm also thinking of attaching my LED auxiliary lights to the motobrain. How would I turn the lights on and off without having to add a handlebar switch?

My guess is I'll have to mount my phone on a RAM mount so I can access the app and control the circuits that I want activated or adjusted on the go.
If I understand correctly you can put a generic rotary control anywhere and use that as an analog input to control the heated jacket. I would think you would want to put a switch on the handlebars to control a light instead of an app on your phone. Never mind trying to mess with your phone whilst riding if your battery went flat on the phone you couldn't switch your lights on or off.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #1011
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Very nicely done

You could.... have a mom-on switch on that control circuit that when pressed would cycle through some certain preset outputs that you assign. 25-50-75-100-0 for instance. Perhaps a multi color LED to indicate where in the cycle you are.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #1012
baddrapp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Laugh

The way understand the concept with the lighting. You can set the output at any amount, but let's say 20%, turns on when bike is started for daytime running lights. Then a trigger wire is wired to the high beam. When activated it goes to a preset value say 100%. No extra switches or dials. All done with the moto brain. Great concept it just eliminated another possible failure, the switches or dials.

I am waiting to purchase one for my adventure bike.
baddrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #1013
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The samples that arrived on Monday are trash. The photos of them look okay but upon closer inspection they appear to have been made by incompetents who don't give a hoot. That is to say that not only is the skilled labor done poorly but so is the work that only requires attention to detail. A waste of time and money. No one ever said building a global supply chain was easy!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #1014
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
Quote:
Very nicely done

Two options.

Use one of the eight input lines, hook up a potentiometer, and dial it in.

Or a toggle switch, momentary, off-(on) to toggle through preset values. I think you might be able to do (on)-off-(on) to toggle up or down, instead of always having to go up.

Quote:
CC built a function to detect engine running; use that, and maybe an input line to detect high bearm (as noted).

Quote:
Nope. you COULD, but once it's programmed, the iPhone/android isn't required.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #1015
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,367
Maybe you should look for a local supplier - your next issue is going to be seeing your intellectual property on eBay. I'd pay more to support North America business.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #1016
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

A momentary switch can be programmed to cycle through a few different power levels for your heated gear. For aux lights, I tied mine to the high beams. I do not power them from the high beams, rather I use the high beams as a signal to tell Motobrain to turn on the aux lights. As shown in the video below. Youtube seems to be having trouble with this video. I've posted it to my Facebook page as well if you want to see it right away.

Quote:

Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #1017
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Maybe you should look for a local supplier - your next issue is going to be seeing your intellectual property on eBay. I'd pay more to support North America business.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
60% more? USA made takes my $300 target price and makes it a $500 product. It would be easy to get it made here but I don't want to put the price out of peoples reach. I want it made in the USA for both ideological and practical reasons. I cannot make it pencil out though.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #1018
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
60% more? USA made takes my $300 target price and makes it a $500 product. It would be easy to get it made here but I don't want to put the price out of peoples reach. I want it made in the USA for both ideological and practical reasons. I cannot make it pencil out though.
sent you a PM
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #1019
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Video finally online. It took hours to upload for some reason...

Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #1020
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,660
Woo Hoo!!

Bad Ass!

Dirty