ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
BellaCorse OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
SE Ohio/NW WV trip planning

I'll be riding near Marrietta, OH/Parkersburg, WV next week. First time in the area for me. Can anyone recommend any roads, destinations, dinners and/or other POI? The first two days will be solo for me. Day rides on paved roads only please.

Mike
BellaCorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Marietta Brewing company has good burgers and micro brew.

555 is a fun route in ohio.

Millstone BBQ in Logan, ohio has great brisket and corn muffins.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,985
Hope my website can help:

www.RidingWV.com

Please take some pix and/or ride report and send them to me. I'll post them. Thanks.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaCorse View Post
I'll be riding near Marrietta, OH/Parkersburg, WV next week. First time in the area for me. Can anyone recommend any roads, destinations, dinners and/or other POI? The first two days will be solo for me. Day rides on paved roads only please.

Mike
Rt 50 between canaan vally/davis w.va to parkersburg has some nice sections, w va 33 is nice, once in marietta oh. Lots of chioces, top road is ohio rt 26 north to woodsfield used to be on road n track's top 10 list, 145, 260 and 565, 564 are interesting and make a nice loop full of twists...fill the tank, not a lot of gas in that loop...
W.va 250 out of moundsville south is fun,
Best western in marietta on 60 about 1 mile north of the river is clean, nice and affordable..
All you can eat raw shrimp bar at the Lafayette hotel lounge during Friday happy hour, mmmmmmmmmm
Pretty much the best roads are east of town, running n/s. Thru sections of wayne n.f.
Lotsa critters, keep a sharp eye, and don't ride those routes at dusk, dawn, or dark....
I'd give you a list of backwoods bars, but it's against my better judgement...
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
The Best Western is the Magnussen or something like that now. 536 out of Hannibal is labeled as "Ohio's Dragon". Lots of curves with little straight sections. I live right off 555 so give me a shout if you want/need anything.

Marietta is a pretty town. I tend to take it for granted since I live here. The northern end of Washington county and Monroe county are just about the best riding in Ohio. Anywhere in WV is good as long as you away from the Charleston metro area. Follow the squiggly lines...
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Marietta Brewing company has good burgers and micro brew.

555 is a fun route in ohio.

Millstone BBQ in Logan, ohio has great brisket and corn muffins.

Hotel prices around Marietta have gone stupid tho due to the pipeline work in the area.
Best Western in Caldwell used to be $60 a night, now $160.

Everything else above is
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
oldgezzer
Country Rider

Oddometer: 27
Federal Rd. CR26 out of Little Hocking is good. Turn left when you hit SR555. Go past Bartlett to SR676, follow SR676 back to Mareitta....lots of good roads west of town.

Hocking Hills (Logan Ohio) area is nice midweek....Lake Hope Lodge has a really good restaurant http://lakehopelodge.com/ might be a bit far though...

Have lots more if you have time....
oldgezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
OH 26 north to 800 south to 7N, you'll see a restaurant and gas station, ride the ferry across the river, take WV 18 S towards Tyler 74 S to Pennsboro 50 W to 16 S to 33 E to Spencer 14 N back to Mineral Well to I77N back to Marietta. Or if you want to stay in OH 26N to 800N to 147 to 513 to 78 toward Woodsfield to 145 to 260 back to 26 to Marietta. Lots of twisty roads be careful in OH, lot of blind rises and turns on the other side of the rise, road sometimes go the opposite direction of how you think. The whole area between the OH river and I70 and I77 is full of fun roads, watch for gravel, deer, some Almish horse and buggies. Haven't hit any of the roads this year, so I don't know the conditions.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote