ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #28981
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,013
Looked into it some. Material cost about $30 per 10 sqft. Some people out there have done some pretty cool bikes with it. Supposed to take some skill and patience to get it right. Complex shapes and concave curves are challenges. Look at videos for knifless tape and 3M 1080 film. Will probable order a couple samples just to get a feel for the material.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #28982
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Other issue with the paint is the PO did it with all the panels on the bike and didn't do the best at masking. Plenty of overspray on different parts.
Try fine steel wool on overspray (#0000) using soapy water as a lubricant. It could still scratch though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Ok so this might be a dumb question on painting a bike. What about this wrap business. How do they wrap a car or whatever? Is that a viable alternative to painting? I have no idea of the durability or cost. I just thought about it the other day when I passed a wrap place going to the Midnight Brewery. Good place to check out if you like beer.
In order to do a wrap, the vehicle to be wrapped has to be a known pattern. Cargo vans and other typical commercial vehicles are common. I doubt any one has programmed a pattern for a VFR.

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #28983
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
@Burtonrider:

Another Dirt/mud/gravel forest Road over near the infamous 'mud road' in King & Queen County can be found by either heading west on 14 out of West Point and take a right on Lombardy then a left on Iris. Iris is gravel and after a few miles it crosses a hard surfaced road and continues as Iris and gravel. Or coming from the West on 14 heading east you can take a left on Devil 3 Jump Rd and before you get to the K&Q Landfill take a right on Iris. Straight ahead is the entrance to the forest road. Map yellow square is Iris Rd. Red squares are the forest road. Should be gnarly with all the rain we just had!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #28984
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Cc14

If you want to see the West Point CC14 route go to YouTube and search skychsva. If you scroll down far enough you will find 3 or 4 videos named CC14 or West Point Mud rides. Some pretty funny riding there. I believe a couple of them are from end to end.

JHVA .... We need to go back soon to see what it's like.

I'm getting excited about camping this weekend. Two more hours to go here in Indy then I'm heading home. Kracken here we come! In case your wondering there are no steep hills to fall down at the campsite.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #28985
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
If you want to see the West Point CC14 route go to YouTube and search skychsva. If you scroll down far enough you will find 3 or 4 videos named CC14 or West Point Mud rides. Some pretty funny riding there. I believe a couple of them are from end to end.

JHVA .... We need to go back soon to see what it's like.

I'm getting excited about camping this weekend. Two more hours to go here in Indy then I'm heading home. Kracken here we come! In case your wondering there are no steep hills to fall down at the campsite.
Probably ought to leave the lawn chairs at home too.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #28986
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Let's all beat up on Chuck! One of the things I love about my Jesse bags is that they are multi-tasking tools as well. Saddlebags for sure, but they also double as a cooler, AND as a rock solid camp chair that won't collapse on you. They will also keep your ass cool if you use it as the cooler while you sit on it!

Y'all have fun this weekend. You be safe Guy!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #28987
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans804 View Post
That is a little far for me this weekend. Let me know when yall do something a little closer. Would really like to meet up with yall.
This is actually pretty close for us. Closer riding would be heading out to the mud road or some of the local off road spots which are private property. I know you are new to the DR, but do you have off road experience? What tires are on your bike? Trying to figure out where to take you.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 07:51 AM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #28988
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Let's all beat up on Chuck! One of the things I love about my Jesse bags is that they are multi-tasking tools as well. Saddlebags for sure, but they also double as a cooler, AND as a rock solid camp chair that won't collapse on you. They will also keep your ass cool if you use it as the cooler while you sit on it!

Y'all have fun this weekend. You be safe Guy!

jeff
Appreciate it. Gonna do the best I can.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #28989
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490

All this riding/camping/chuck bashing talk is bumming me out!

I get a day off next week for working this weekend.. anybody want to do the consolation camp or just a day trip next week? I haven't been out to my favorite stomping grounds once this year. and here it is mid-June already.

..oh and speaking of chairs, I got this cool camp chair for christmas:
http://www.backcountry.com/helinox-chair-one-camp-chair

I've only gotten to use it a couple times, but each time I probably help sell a dozen.. Everybody who sits on it loves it.. and it packs about a foot long and weighs nothing! (.. ok like two pounds i think)

ddlewis screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 08:31 AM
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #28990
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans804 View Post
That is a little far for me this weekend. Let me know when yall do something a little closer. Would really like to meet up with yall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
This is actually pretty close for us. Closer riding would be heading out to the mud road or some of the local off road spots which are private property. I know you are new to the DR, but do you have off road experience? What tires are on your bike? Trying to figure out where to take you.
Titans - pick something you're comfortable with and post up.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #28991
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

All this riding/camping/chuck bashing talk is bumming me out!

I get a day off next week for working this weekend.. anybody want to do the consolation camp or just a day trip next week? I haven't been out to my favorite stomping grounds once this year. and here it is mid-June already...
Friday next week for a long day ride, mucho gravel?
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #28992
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,013
I'm in for next weekend seeing if the VFR turns into a torture device for me on a long ride.

This weekend is out due to my grandfather's 90th birthday and fathers day. Wouldn't miss it no matter how epic the ride/camping.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #28993
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Friday next week for a long day ride, mucho gravel?
Man! Now I am getting bummed out. I want to take a Friday off to ride. Neither of my bosses will allow it though.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #28994
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I'm in for next weekend seeing if the VFR turns into a torture device for me on a long ride.

This weekend is out due to my grandfather's 90th birthday and fathers day. Wouldn't miss it no matter how epic the ride/camping.
Sounds like the eating and drinking may be the only epic parts...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #28995
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Wtf

Well ..... I finished school, got on a plane, flew within 50 miles of DC then they closed the airport due to weather. Just my luck. Friday the 13th. Diverted to Harrisburg PA so here we sit. Grrrrrrrr

Macon, looks like an early morning departure for me. We will leave as early as we can to get in as much riding as possible. Lots of good ideas.

Dave (jdrocks), can we leave around 7am?

skychs screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 12:55 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote