ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #91
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I want to input a destination and have a track show up for me to follow. I've managed to do this exactly once. Now I can't figure out how I did it.
Also, I have a serious block on the whole making a track/importing it process. I can't make a track in Google Earth for some reason.

1911fan
MotionX GPS doesnt support auto routing MotionX GPS Drive does. You can hit go to a destination in MotionX GPS but it will just straight line you there.
As for importing tracks I just use the email method, just email the track to gpsimport@motionx.com and open the reply you get back on your iphone and follow the instructions. I find it easier to make tracks in google maps vs google earth mainly because my laptop is almost 10 years old and slow.

To make a GPX in Google maps:
1 go to google maps
2 hit get directions
3 enter starting and end point(s)
4 drag to change route until you get the route you want
5 scroll to the bottom of the directions and click "save to my maps"
6 go to my saved places and save the KML file
7 go here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
8 convert the KML to a GPX file
9 email the GPX file to gpsimport@motionx.com
10 open the email you get back and follow the directions
11 in MotionX hit menu then tracks and you should see the track you just added and be able to follow it

Once you do this a few times it's a pretty easy process, if you use Google Earth I'm pretty sure you can skip the step of having to convert it because you can save tracks as GPX files using Google Earth.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #92
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,719
That's probably the most concise explanation I've read. Thank you!!!!

I did manage to import a track from Basecamp, emailing to motionx, and it doesn't have to be converted. I also figured out that some of my WABDR 'tracks' were actually waypoints, so when I imported what I thought was a route i would just get one spot. Which drove me crazy, as I was sure they were routes not waypoints, argh. The alleged tracks were from somebody's ride report, not the official site.
How many of you have used the Harley Davidson Ride Planner? It's great, and free. Covers a fair amount of Forest Service roads, too.
A question: Can you, in Google Earth or Maps, create a string of waypoints and turn them into a route? So, if you marked all your turns as waypoints, strung together they'd import as a route?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #93
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
MotionX GPS doesnt support auto routing MotionX GPS Drive does. You can hit go to a destination in MotionX GPS but it will just straight line you there.
As for importing tracks I just use the email method, just email the track to gpsimport@motionx.com and open the reply you get back on your iphone and follow the instructions. I find it easier to make tracks in google maps vs google earth mainly because my laptop is almost 10 years old and slow.

To make a GPX in Google maps:
1 go to google maps
2 hit get directions
3 enter starting and end point(s)
4 drag to change route until you get the route you want
5 scroll to the bottom of the directions and click "save to my maps"
6 go to my saved places and save the KML file
7 go here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
8 convert the KML to a GPX file
9 email the GPX file to gpsimport@motionx.com
10 open the email you get back and follow the directions
11 in MotionX hit menu then tracks and you should see the track you just added and be able to follow it

Once you do this a few times it's a pretty easy process, if you use Google Earth I'm pretty sure you can skip the step of having to convert it because you can save tracks as GPX files using Google Earth.
Quoted for my own selfish uses someday, great information, thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #94
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That's probably the most concise explanation I've read. Thank you!!!!

1911fan
Being a 1911 guy I figured you needed all the help you can get.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #95
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
snip

A question: Can you, in Google Earth or Maps, create a string of waypoints and turn them into a route? So, if you marked all your turns as waypoints, strung together they'd import as a route?

1911fan
No idea. For something like that I would either use basecamp or mapsource. I normally use mapsource for the same reason I use google maps (my pc is slow). All a track really is is a string of points (think of them as hidden waypoints). The problem with auto routing to a set of waypoints is the route may not be the one you want forcing you to keep changing/adding waypoints until you get the desired route.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #96
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Being a 1911 guy I figured you needed all the help you can get.
Lol, I like not too many moving parts.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #97
atwater1
likes to play in the mud

Oddometer: 162
All,

First of all, I am a n00b when it comes to using a gps in conjunction with my motorcycle. I have an iphone 5, which I use for gps on the road, but I am just now experimenting with using it on my mc. I downloaded MotionX, and have been testing it out in my truck before I put it on the bike.

The thing that bothers me so far is that the gps seems "jumpy". What I mean by this, is that the gps only updates my position in about 1 second increments, rather than continuously. When I use my phone to navigate in my truck (using google maps rather than MotionX), my position is continuously updated, so I know my phone isn't problem.

Also for reference, I pre-downloaded the area I was driving in, so I don't think it is an issue with the phone trying to keep up with the maps.

Realistically, I'm not sure if this will be an issue on the bike, because I won't be focused on looking at the gps, but rather just occasionally looking at it to stay on track...but it still bothers me.

Any thoughts on how (or if) I can make MotionX operate more smoothly? I've tried searching google, but I haven't been successful in finding a solution. I did see some discussions of the app being "choppy" earlier in this thread, but that was from 2011, and I didn't really see a solution to it...

Thanks,
Atwater1
atwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #98
Aaen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Why don't you just go to the applications section of iTunes and upload the gpx file directly into motionx. Works a charm and you can upload multiple files at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Quoted for my own selfish uses someday, great information, thanks!
Aaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #99
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwater1 View Post
All,

First of all, I am a n00b when it comes to using a gps in conjunction with my motorcycle. I have an iphone 5, which I use for gps on the road, but I am just now experimenting with using it on my mc. I downloaded MotionX, and have been testing it out in my truck before I put it on the bike.

The thing that bothers me so far is that the gps seems "jumpy". What I mean by this, is that the gps only updates my position in about 1 second increments, rather than continuously. When I use my phone to navigate in my truck (using google maps rather than MotionX), my position is continuously updated, so I know my phone isn't problem.

Also for reference, I pre-downloaded the area I was driving in, so I don't think it is an issue with the phone trying to keep up with the maps.

Realistically, I'm not sure if this will be an issue on the bike, because I won't be focused on looking at the gps, but rather just occasionally looking at it to stay on track...but it still bothers me.

Any thoughts on how (or if) I can make MotionX operate more smoothly? I've tried searching google, but I haven't been successful in finding a solution. I did see some discussions of the app being "choppy" earlier in this thread, but that was from 2011, and I didn't really see a solution to it...

Thanks,
Atwater1
I haven't noticed anything like that, mine is smooth just like my Garmin was.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #100
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaen View Post
Why don't you just go to the applications section of iTunes and upload the gpx file directly into motionx. Works a charm and you can upload multiple files at once.
I hate itunes and by using the email method you can upload a GPX file from somebody else while away from the PC or you can jump onto any random PC and build a track on Google maps/earth and upload it no matter where you are or what PC you are on.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #101
spongebobnopants
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Bike mount case for iPhone to use with Motion X

I ordered the non powered one and I'll just run a power cable to a battery pack in my tank bag.
http://www.bike2power.com/index.php?route=common/home

I use any glove to give me touchscreen capability through my regular riding gloves:
http://youtu.be/3bNxAO9Nlro
spongebobnopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #102
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I'll add to this thread, I used my now inactive iPhone4s on a 450 mi custom track using motionX (preloaded the maps) and it was so nice to be free of the annoying messages I used to get when this was my actual phone (no data signal etc etc BFD). Never once did a pop up appear.
Also nice to not have my real phone out on the bars (ram mount X-cradle thingy).
Seems like there might be some more sophisticated apps out there but still loving this $.99 app, really does the job for me.

If I had one complaint, the motionX Road maps on 14X zoom (gives about 1/2 mile look ahead) some small roads have very faint contrast and are difficult to see (other map types available have proven to be less reliable). Also the route#'s or road names overllay the actual road and are covered by my intended track, somewhat maddening (I write down route changes as a backup). OK that's two complaints but still love the capabilities.
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #103
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seevtsaab View Post
I'll add to this thread, I used my now inactive iPhone4s on a 450 mi custom track using motionX (preloaded the maps) and it was so nice to be free of the annoying messages I used to get when this was my actual phone (no data signal etc etc BFD). Never once did a pop up appear.

Also nice to not have my real phone out on the bars (ram mount X-cradle thingy).

Seems like there might be some more sophisticated apps out there but still loving this $.99 app, really does the job for me.

If I had one complaint, the motionX Road maps on 14X zoom (gives about 1/2 mile look ahead) some small roads have very faint contrast and are difficult to see (other map types available have proven to be less reliable). Also the route#'s or road names overllay the actual road and are covered by my intended track, somewhat maddening (I write down route changes as a backup). OK that's two complaints but still love the capabilities.

If you send suggestions to motionx they can/ will make changes if enough people do it.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #104
jeepster33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by seevtsaab View Post

I have tried MotionX only once so far and it worked pretty good. I pre-loaded the maps also and I think I included the 15x zoom so the roads/names were a little more legible but they aren't the easiest to see.

Later, I saw where in addition to following a Track, you can also navigate to a waypoint. I was curious if you tried this and if it helps at all. It looks like it will do a mileage countdown to the waypoint for navigation.
jeepster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #105
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 177
The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Instead of emailing the tracks just create a google drive account (or Dropbox, etc.) then you can just save to google drive from any computer, open google drive on your phone and then open with motionX. Import and you're done. Plus if you want to share tracks you just share your google drive folder and they have access to all your tracks.

Vacman screwed with this post 07-03-2014 at 08:42 AM
Vacman is offline   Reply With Quote