Get it done next time.

the twisted-hog
Baja Cerveza Conquest
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #34
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Great ride report and excellent pic’s. Thanks a lot and looking forward to more!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #35
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 285
CJ5K: The roads are a mixed bag but you can easily do either. The paved roads I thought were actually pretty damn decent. I've you're on a dual sport there's an absolute ton of gravel roads, dirt roads, sand roads and trails to be explored. Just be aware and or comfortable that the dirt roads can change fairly quickly. Gravel roads may have patches of larger rocks or deep sand, sand roads may have patches of the dreaded Baja deep silt and so on. If you're on a street machine I think the roads in general are pretty decent aside from occasional potholes and tight turns without signs to warn you that the road is going to take a sharp left.

Naughty: Let me know if you ever take a breath you bastard! Foresthill to Soda Springs is open now!

Da Foole: Thanks! Loved your report as well and I credit you for finding canon de Guadalupe. Amazing place!

McGee: Thanks man, plenty more to come!
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #36
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer: 208
Just got back from Cabo ready to go back. Looking forward to following your adventure
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #37
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D5

I don't know what it is about camping but I reliably sleep like a baby even though being a light sleeper is typically the norm. At home I usually toss and turn, wake up periodically and make trips to the fridge for snacks throughout the night. Last night I slept straight through without so much as a bathroom break. As soon as the sun came up my eyes pop open and I realize I'm in Mexico and staying in a natural hot spring that I haven't seen in day light yet. It feels like Christmas! I grab the camera and climb out of the tent.

This place is absolutely ridiculous.. We drove into the desert till dark and woke up in a friggin oasis. Canon de Guatalupe is a natural hot spring and rare source of water in an otherwise sandy butthole of a desert. Each "campsite" consists of; your own palapa structure made of river rock and cement w/ thatch roof, fire place, sink and empty river rock/cement bathtub complete with a 4" pvc pipe system that provides 110F hot water to your campsite. Want to sit in the spa? No problem, just connect the hose from the pvc to your own private tub, close the drain valve and 30 minutes later you have a piping hot tub overlooking a canyon packed with palm trees. Unreal.

Our Palapa

the water closet w flushing toilets..

The campground pool (warm)

Hot water dip before breakfast? Sure.

Shortly after my soak I started pulling out the cookset to get some coffee and breakfast going to start the day. Right about that time Phoenix ran out of the palapa to barf her guts out in the rocks and I realized something might be amiss. Couldn't quite put my finger on it but something wasn't right. Then it occurred to me, she said she didn't want any coffee.. She must not be feeling very well, she's as much of a caffeine junky as I am. We had only really had one Mexican meal which was from a fairly busy and very decent restaurant. Maybe the food was bad? Maybe she was pregnant? Maybe she was bulimic? I'm sure it wasn't the questionable eggs and chorizo I cooked last night. Either way she looked pretty sick so I made sure she had water and left her be.

Shortly after breakfast Juan came by to collect our money for the campsite and he was nice enough to take me on a tour of the place. Super nice guy.

Sketchy

Around noon I ran into Phil and Mackenzie who were getting ready to go on a hike up to the cold water spring. Considering the brutal heat was at it's worst with nothing but hot water nearby, they let me tag along to find colder water.

30 minutes later we were diving into water cold enough to make you hyperventilate for a few moments while you acclimated. Sweet relief.

They were nice enough to throw a couple cold Tecates my way as well, a gesture I won't soon forget. Great people.

Meanwhile, back at the palapa. The Phoenix had risen from her barfy ashes and was snacking quietly. After a day of sleeping and drinking water she had regained much of her color and vigor. Great timing as Phil and Mackenzie were nice enough to invite us over for dinner which sounded like a hoot. Not sure if it was a viral bug or my shitty cooking but either way it looked like she was on the mend.

Phil had BBQ'd up some steak, sausage and sweet potatoes all of which he shared along with a few more Tecates. I couldn't have been happier. Not a bad way to kick off a vacation then by hanging out with new friends. Stuff like this is my favorite part about traveling and something I need to be better at in my day to day life. It's so easy to stare at your feet while you walk through your daily routines without leaving yourself open to connect with other people.

Stuffed and maybe buzzed I hit the wall. Bed time and early departure tomorrow!

Thanks for reading

UP NEXT: Slab, sweaty balls and San Felipe.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #38
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 728
As soon as I saw raw eggs being consumed - I thought "Salmonella!"

I hope you guys went out on the playa instead of the road when you left. That road is bad news and no fun when you are loaded and the weather is hot. The lakebead, OTOH, is FANFUCKINTASTIC!!!!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #39
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Great pics!If you have the time the ride isnt always about putting the miles in-its about meeting new people along the way.I seem to have this nack for having boring RR'S.Keep it coming.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 AM   #40
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Jenn: Are you talking about taking the dry lake bed road to the E and SE from Canon de Guadalupe??? If that's the case then I wish we did dammit!!! We didn't know whether or not we could get through so chickened out and went north the way we came back to the highway then cut over to Mexicali and S to San Felipe. Without knowing for sure, the sandy road to the south seemed like a bad idea after all the warnings I read about getting stuck in silt w a big bike..

Oldxr: Thanks! I agree, the random people you meet are half the trip!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #41
Jenn
praise seitan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTSQD View Post
Jenn: Are you talking about taking the dry lake bed road to the E and SE from Canon de Guadalupe??? If that's the case then I wish we did dammit!!! We didn't know whether or not we could get through so chickened out and went north the way we came back to the highway then cut over to Mexicali and S to San Felipe. Without knowing for sure, the sandy road to the south seemed like a bad idea after all the warnings I read about getting stuck in silt w a big bike..
That lake bed is dry ALL THE TIME, esp this time of year. It might get a little moist in rainy season but... when is that?

There are well worn roads across it - you can see them on Google maps satellite view - and there are signs all over it pointing you to Canon de Guadalupe, even signs in English that say "hot springs."

And it's super nice - grippy soil, not thick and dusty like the road.

When I had gone to Canyon de Guadalupe the first time 10 years ago, it was in a friend's 4x4 truck so we had NO problems flying along. Took the lakebed on the way out.

My trip in February - we went in on the road and I regretted it. I thought it would be "interesting" for my riding companion and after going out on the lakebed, we spent a LOT of time riding around on the lakebed. We went all the way to Tecate on the lakebed!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #42
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
That lake bed is dry ALL THE TIME, esp this time of year. It might get a little moist in rainy season but... when is that?

There are well worn roads across it - you can see them on Google maps satellite view - and there are signs all over it pointing you to Canon de Guadalupe, even signs in English that say "hot springs."

And it's super nice - grippy soil, not thick and dusty like the road.

When I had gone to Canyon de Guadalupe the first time 10 years ago, it was in a friend's 4x4 truck so we had NO problems flying along. Took the lakebed on the way out.

My trip in February - we went in on the road and I regretted it. I thought it would be "interesting" for my riding companion and after going out on the lakebed, we spent a LOT of time riding around on the lakebed. We went all the way to Tecate on the lakebed!
Dammit!!!! Love the pictures! They look very familiar :) Next time I'll take the lakebed... Admittedly I didn't do the greatest recon beforehand and once I was there I was out of luck for data reception.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #43
Jenn
praise seitan!

Well there's always next year for a revisit!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #44
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

D6

Woke up nice and early, packed up and headed out. We talked to Juan(the camp host) and Phil about which route to take on the way out. We couldn't get a difinitive answer on the way South to San Felipe so we played it safe and took the washboard hell road back north to hwy 2. Baja is known for it's silt which has been rumored to make big bikes disappear never to be seen again, don't particularly want to chance it this early into the trip.. From hwy 2 we'll cut over to Mexicali and then South on 5 to San Felipe.

A few parting shots..

Saw our first questionable roadside taco shop..

Absolutely fantastic! Gotta love the cane sugar mexican coke as well, tastes way better then our corn syrup subsidized bullshit.

Stopped at a gas station after breezing through yet another remarkably easy military checkpoint. As it is now mid morning there's still some unfinished business I had to take care off so I wandered over to the clean and relaively new bathrooms. Here I was faced with a quandry... You have to pre-pay for toilet paper. I pondered my food intake over the past 24 hours and decided to go with 3 pesos worth in an effort to minimize the chance of doing a waddle of shame back to the TP machine.

Luckily, 3 was more then enough as it even afforded me the chance to properly blow my nose with the extras. But I digress...

We jumped back on the bike and rode through the dry heat to San Filepe. Before pulling into town I noticed a stand alone fireworks shop, YES!!!!! A little too hot to stop so I'll grab some at the next spot. We roll into town, find a cheap place to stay with a pool and proceed to cool off for a bit before walking to the main drag.

There were some, ahem, healthy ladies obviously partying for a bachelorette party. I'm not too proud to say I may have got a cat call or two..

Back at it again, after the success of the last taco cart we had to try it again.

The Phoenix approved as did I. The food down here is phenominal!

Welcome to Mexico, where you can be your own kickstand!

A couple cocktails at the local gringo bar..

Left my ADV calling card..

After the sun goes down in San Felipe, the entire town comes to life and crowds the main drag next to the beach. Live music, food carts, loud music and louder music. Loved the feel of it.

One more fish taco before passing out..

And I'm done..

UP NEXT: The coastal road to Alfonsinas.

BRUTSQD screwed with this post 06-18-2014 at 07:17 PM
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #45
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 397
Loving it!

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote