ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
2014 Get Out To Garrapata Memorial Motorcycle Adventure Ride

https://www.facebook.com/Getout2garapata

Hey everyone Good Afternoon, Good evening or Goodnight, whichever the case may be!

I am writing here to notify you as a fellow ADV rider of a very special event that I am planning for April of 2015 in honor of a very special friend named Ben Glattstein. Ben was a true adventurer and genuine wonderful spirit, the kind of person you'd meet one time and instantly be friends with.

In 2010, Ben passed away in a plane crash while beginning a journey to cross the Pacific Ocean in a small single engine Mooney. His loss was truly felt around the world by hundreds of his friends and family. Five years later his loss still leaves a void in many people's hearts, my own especially. So to honor him and raise funds for a scholarship in his name that goes to train better, safer pilots, i am planning a ride from the Arizona/Mexico border to Garrapata State Park in Big Sur, CA, via the. Grand Canyon, Death Valley and Yosemite.

Right now we are trying to just get the word out anyway we can through a truly grassroots effort. I have two riders guaranteed to join, with an additional probable and we will be planning to invite others for all or portions of our route in order to celebrate Ben's memory.

You can stay in touch with us the following ways:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Getout2garapata
Twitter: willb@getout2garapata
Getout2garrapata@gmail.com

I ask only your support and "likes" on Facebook to raise awareness for this great cause and wonderful journey!

And as Ben would say, Cheers, Mate!

Ponyperformance8 screwed with this post 05-23-2014 at 09:39 PM
Ponyperformance8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Okay so a quick update for anyone interested, due to some scheduling hiccups and in true Ben spirit, we have moved the ride UP 6 months to the middle of October, this year! We are now In a full scramble to get things taken care of including buying a third bike for our third rider who is an itenerating missionary preparing to go to Indonesia for 4 years!

Check us out on Facebook at Get Out to Garrapata Memorial Motorcycle Ride for more details ! Now less than 2 months to go until we start our IndieGoGo campaign (where we will be selling plenty of Swag) to raise scholarship funds for Ben !

Twitter: @getout2garapata
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Getout2garapata
Old 06-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
Looks like he was lucky to have you as a friend and this looks like a great event in the works. Good luck
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
Looks like he was lucky to have you as a friend and this looks like a great event in the works. Good luck
Hey great thank you for the kind words and support, not only will the ride be a great time, the funds raised will go to a good cause training those younger pilots to come to be safer and more confident.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

http://youtu.be/lB7JBr8g_FI

A little taste of things to come!

90 miles 30 on dirt and a crossing of the San Rafael Valley in the Sky Islands of SE Arizona.

Also a good chance to test out my recording rig, I think a Sena Bluetooth Backpack for GoPro is in my future
Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

I am proud to announce that www.getout2garrapata.org is now active ! Go there to stay in touch with all the details about our ride and the cause we are supporting !
Old 08-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Thumb Get Out to Garrapata Begins October 11, 2014 at Cochise Motorsports, Sierra Vista, AZ

We are very happy to announce that Get Out to Garrapata 2014 will begin at 9:00 am on October 11th, 2014 at Cochise Motorsports, in Sierra Vista, AZ !

We are inviting all Riders of all Walks of Life to Come Out and Join us on our Ride-Out departing Cochise Motorsports at 10am ! We will cover the beginning portions of the AZBDR across Montezuma Pass and then Venture Down to The Mexican Border as we cross the San Rafael Valley enroute to the Ghost Town of Lochiel, Arizona!

Cochise Motorsports has been gracious enough to sponsor our efforts through the purchase of ride t-shirts that will be available to anyone who donates $50 or more to the Ben Glattstein Memorial Training Scholarship !

So Come on Out and Join us for the start of Get Out to Garrapata, and support us on our way as we cross the Desert Southwest to raise funds for a safer tomorrow in the name of a great friend !

More Information can be found at www.getout2garrapata.org, and you can contact us on here or through our website!
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Just to clarify, the Ride on Oct 11th is planned as on out-and-back from Sierra Vista, we will begin our trip North on October 12th !
Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
DRCheesesteak
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey everyone! I've been lurking on this board for years being envious of people on ADVRider and their great adventures. I have been riding for a decade but never had an off road bike until now. I can't believe I waited so long to get one! I'm making up for lost time with this little gem.

As part of the Get Out to Garrapata ride, I'll be on my DR650 from Daytona Beach, FL to Sierra Vista, before we set off on the real good stuff from there. Most of what I'll be doing before this ride from Cochise Motorsports is going to be on pavement in the interest of time. I'm really looking forward to making this a good day ride and I hope some of you guys would like to join in!

-Josh
DRCheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
norths03
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I've also joined this ride and this cause. I'll be riding in from Denver, CO to meet the group in Sierra Vista. I've been riding street bikes for 6 years now. Living in Colorado I finally couldn't pass another forest road without being able to explore it. I purchased a DR650 in July and this will be my first week plus adventure ride. It's been a blast setting the bike up for the ride and I can't wait to explore places like the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, and Big Sur by motorcycle (the way it was intended to be). Definitely join us at Cochise if you can and let's make this send off a proper one!
norths03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Thanks Guys !

We have a good group of 4 (hopefully 6) Riders dedicated to the entire route and we would love to have more join us along the way!

If you are anywhere in the State of Arizona, Southern Utah, Las Vegas, or the Southern Half of California, make your way out to join us however and whenever you can !

Ponyperformance8 screwed with this post 09-01-2014 at 08:35 PM
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
Kingfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
When do you anticipate crossing through Yosemite? Depending on the day, I could join up with your group to keep you company for part of the ride. It would be great to meet some fellow inmates working towards a noble goal.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
Tobes2102
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Sounds like an awesome ride and great cause. Certainly would be interested to see your tracks once you complete it, and maybe build on it too.
Tobes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

KingFish... Right now it looks like we would come through Yosemite on or about the 17th of October, give or take a day. We would love to have you join up and ride with us.

Do you know any good places to camp that are usually available that time of year around Yosemite?