ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #166
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Tetham Gap

I think is how you spell it, but either way its closed and has been since 5/13, FYI for anyone riding near Andrews.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #167
ModalGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
I think is how you spell it, but either way its closed and has been since 5/13, FYI for anyone riding near Andrews.
Is it Tatham Gap Road?
Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #168
Abrahamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModalGuy View Post
I was up at Tatham Gap a month ago and it was still closed to thru traffic.
2003 Super Sherpa "Stella"
5 year old Malamute "Abrahamster"
Abrahamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #169
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 143
Why is it closed?

The twisty portion of Winding Stairs Road is still closed, I was there a few weeks ago. Looks like it has been closed awhile, it's overgrown. After I got home I tried searching for why it was closed and haven't come up with anything.
blue72beetle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #170
Abrahamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post
Why is it closed?

The twisty portion of Winding Stairs Road is still closed, I was there a few weeks ago. Looks like it has been closed awhile, it's overgrown. After I got home I tried searching for why it was closed and haven't come up with anything.
Last I heard they were doing some road repair, but it has been closed for a while now.

http://www.grahamstar.com/articles/2...7430265678.txt

This article says it will be closed indefinitely. Magabummer
2003 Super Sherpa "Stella"
5 year old Malamute "Abrahamster"
Abrahamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #171
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahamster View Post
Last I heard they were doing some road repair, but it has been closed for a while now.

http://www.grahamstar.com/articles/2...7430265678.txt

This article says it will be closed indefinitely. Magabummer
Well I "heard" from someone that it was road repair from a washout, and that they had gone past the gate and saw the wash out, it was huge and quite scary looking down where it had washed away. I also heard that it looked like others had been up in the area and there aren't many others up that way, and you can actually make it through. Take it how you want.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #172
shortman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Eek Tatham Gap Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
Well I "heard" from someone that it was road repair from a washout, and that they had gone past the gate and saw the wash out, it was huge and quite scary looking down where it had washed away. I also heard that it looked like others had been up in the area and there aren't many others up that way, and you can actually make it through. Take it how you want.
Last fall some friends and I rode to Gatlinburg and back from the Atlanta area... I did hours of planning on the route up and back and included this road for our return trip... None of us had ever ridden this area so we were more than a little in the blind and just following the GPS route I had made... It didn't help that this was also the time when the Federal Government had shutdown so many of the Forrest roads I had planned to ride were closed so by the time we made it to Robbinsville we were already a few hours behind. We grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed up Long Creek road toward Tatham Gap... When we got to the top we discovered the gate closing the road but were so aggravated by the events of the day we just rode right around.... After a few miles we did in deed discover the "washed out" area your talking about... Yes... It's quite a drop, probably 80 to 100 feet down... A little over half the road is missing from what looks like a land slide.... There was still plenty of room for 2 wheelers to pass but there is always that uncertainty of what the earth looks like under the road that didn't wash out and actually how much of it is still there! None the less we were fine and I really did enjoy that road... One of the best we encountered the whole weekend!
shortman is offline   Reply With Quote