Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2006, 02:53 AM   #1
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Am I the Camel Man?

OK, orientation time; or, as the Fakarwe Bird says: where the fakarwe?
We're here

Yes, a Lesotho trip report. I was supposed to have done this trip 4 weeks ago but all hell broke loose in the week preceding, the cherry on top being me contracting tick bite fever and missing the trip. I wasn't pleased at all at having Michnus and his wife go off on a trip I planned.

Anyhoo, 4 weeks later and Nardus (never say no to a bike trip) and myself head for Lesotho. Me 1200GS, he 640 adventure. On the way through the Transkei and recent rains makes things a bit dificult.

Some find it more difficult than others.

We rock up in Ugie (tiny little town in the back of beyond) and I am greeted by this wonderful picture

I tell you, this country has a bright future, breeding biker chicks like this.

We ride through some scenic country with weird rocks around Mt Fletcher and make the South African border post into Lesotho with minutes to spare. Between the South African & Lesotho border posts lies Sani pass. Incredibly beautiful with several steep switchbacks near the top. Early on it looks like there is plenty of water.

For some reason I expected the myriad of streams crossing the road to have concrete bottoms. They don't. No big hassle and the terrain is just the thing to wake you up after 600km of windblast.

As we climb higher the views keep on coming.

I think I should apologise now and get it out of the way. Lesotho is also known as the Mountain Kingdom. I suspect it may be because the country consists of mountains and is ruled over by a King.
The thing is, where ever you look, astounding views abound. I could take hundreds of photographs each day just of green vista's, each as beautiful as the next. Unfortunately it gets monotonous. So I'll try to not bore you with pics of beautiful countryside only. See this one has some luggage in it:

Here you can see the switchbacks at the top of the pass.

Up into the clouds.

Reaching the top.

After reading Leo's post (he had the good fortune to spend the evening with some blonde foreign girls when staying over in Sani Top Chalets), I had high hopes for the evening ahead. But no, what I got was eight, not so pretty, biker degenerates.

These guys were on quite a substantial trip, having ridden from Port St Johns at the coast that morning. To put it in perspective, a XT500 and a 22 year old XR500 formed part of the group. Some of these guys were over 50 and they were having a ball.

Here's the XT500 pilot. Just one look and you can see he's got the requisite sense of humour needed to take that Lister Pump on a long trip.

We had an entertaining evening with this lot, many stories, many beers. Day one at an end, day two to follow.

metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote