Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Well I took it out for a test ride. 20 miles of canyon roads, 15 miles of dirt roads, and some atv/hardcore jeep trails. The brakes are messed up. The front brake has extreme vibration issues - either from a bent rotor or bad pads. The rear brake feels like mashed potatoes. There is also a power delivery issue above 6k. I'm guess the carbs need to be cleaned. Other than that the bike was great and I had a blast! I enjoyed it a lot better than my 690 which I've brought on the same ride. I'll post pics tomorrow once I tear apart the bike.
First of all, congratulations on your new best friend.
- Brakes. Easy. Change fluid. New Galfer pads and possibly a new front rotor. For Pads I like green up front, and black in the back.
- Power. Try running some Sea Foam though it. - OR - Check the jetting with Head2Winds kit.

Other things to consider:
- Side Stand relocation kit.
- Skid plate?
- Lots and lots of tires!

The Orange Crush collective is probably the best resource you could ever have for keeping your bike running and happy.
It was actually one of the deciding factors for me as to whether I wanted a KTM. This group is a wealth of information, aside from a few smart asses.

Q~
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
First of all, congratulations on your new best friend.
- Brakes. Easy. Change fluid. New Galfer pads and possibly a new front rotor. For Pads I like green up front, and black in the back. Those were my plans
- Power. Try running some Sea Foam though it. - OR - Check the jetting with Head2Winds kit. I pulled the carbs and cleaned the jets. Already had an H2W kit, but I'm not too sure what that means

Other things to consider:
- Side Stand relocation kit. Already on the bike
- Skid plate?Already on the bike
- Lots and lots of tires! And I'm planning on the 908 rear, and 606 front because I plan to do more dirt riding

The Orange Crush collective is probably the best resource you could ever have for keeping your bike running and happy.
It was actually one of the deciding factors for me as to whether I wanted a KTM. This group is a wealth of information, aside from a few smart asses.

Q~
I did a full cleaning of the engine bay while replacing some hoses, and planned to do a valve check, but didn't have the tools to pull the spark plugs and had no idea how to do a valve check or adjustment.
I also spent hours pulling off the linex (truck bedliner) paint job. It looked good and served a great purpose, but it wasn't my style. I now have it temporarily plasiti-diped in white with orange on the way.

And pics will be posted as soon as I get the bike in full running condition.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's almost finished.

Yesterday I cleaned up and painted the crash bars and luggage rack. I also had the orange paint arrive and started getting it set up. The bike is going to be white and orange with my own scheme of things. More new school (think Icon's Triumph Tiger), rather than the bland KTM 950 scheme.

Today I'll be adding my last touches of paint and putting it all back together. I stripped a few screws here and there so I'll need to take care of that.

Pics will be posted soon!

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
Szepy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My 950 was inspected deeply just for curiosity at 63k kms. The engine's inside was clean like a new. The pistons and rings were in perfect shape comfortably inside the factory parameters. Same went for the clutch.

Good oil (used motorex all the time) and thoughtful usage. Don't rev it hard until it's warm. It usually takes only a few kms anyway. After that it will do anything you ask and much more!

If this was also cared enough I wouldn't be afraid of it's past. It'll still have a great future. :)
1990 Honda Dominator - (sold)
Szepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #20
agent86pc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
New guarantee ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
With those bullet points, if the price is right I think you should stop over thinking it and buy it. If you want guarantees, buy new.
No guarantee with buying new, you will have some kind of warenty however. New bikes these days seem to have plenty of issues !!
Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #21
Szepy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
950 also had many issues in 2003. They're just solved in a few years (by KTM, or by the owner :) ). Same went to 990 and also goes to 1190 - there's nothing new under the sun. :)
1990 Honda Dominator - (sold)
Szepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So here it is!

Started out with it everything being lineX'd (truck bedliner). All of the body was covered, the crash bars, and the luggage rack. I pulled a little bit away and thought it would take a couple hours to peel off all of the linex……………4 days and over 30 hours later!! Some of it came of easy and the rest was bad. Unfortunately the original black paint was underneath and still in pristine condition, but peeled off with the linex and I also found carbon fiber gas tank covers underneath the linex. I had to purchase some chemical agents to help get the linex off of the crash bars, and even with the best agents possible, I still spent two days removing the linex from those!

As I was removing all the parts from the bike I took some time and cleaned the whole engine bay. Afterwards I started getting down to the carbs, which I removed and cleaned. Once I put it all back together the bike fired right up! I couldn't have been happier!

New Paint
I decided to plastidip the bike because I could play around with designs and change things easily without worrying. Eventually I'll vinyl wrap the bike once I"m set on the right colors, designs, etc. I initially plastidiped the whole bike white while the orange was on order. It looked ok, but needed color. Once I got the orange and put on a layer it was INSANELY bright…BLINDING BRIGHT! Oh well, it's just temporary. My neighbor watched and assisted and swore that it wasn't going to look good, but he's blown away at the finished product. I did use the KTM and ADVENTURE images and quickly made some stencils out of painters tape. It worked good enough, and so far I'm the only one to notice all of the little mistakes I made.
*I did leave little bits and pieces of the original paint on that were hard to remove. I sanded them down and they were smooth. Once I put on a coat of plastidip it was easy to see that they were going to stick out so I had to remove the layer and spend hours peeling away the little pieces of original paint..
The crash bars and luggage racks were in bad condition underneath the multiple layers of linex. I spent a couple days sanding them down and painting them with real paint. The look ok, but there really isn't any more I could do.

All in all the bike is awesome! I really like the way everything turned out. After a ride I'm still noticing some lack in power during wot. I'm going to order new jets and see if that helps.

How I bought it

Peeled a little bit off and thought it would be an easy job…..

Original paint underneath

Painters tape Stencils

Finished

Old 06-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's also a list of everything that the bike came with:

Forks resprung and revalved by Slavin’s Suspension
Fork bleeders
Emig steering stabilizer, triple clamp, and 3 inch risers
Pro Taper KX High bars
Shorty brake and clutch levers
Heated grips
KTM Super Duke mirrors w/extenders
Euro headlight switch
Aux lighter plug in glove box
Moto aux spotlights (KTM hard parts)
High fender kit
Woodys Sun rims with Super Laced spokes
Heidenau Scouts, front and rear, good tread
Pelican tail box, waterproof
16/45 sprockets and DID Gold chain, fairly new
Uni Filter pre filter w/socks (keeps stock filter very clean)
Stainless steel reusable oil filter
Dual cooling fans
Akropovic exhaust cans
H2W jet kit good from Colorado passes to the Colorado River, Arizona
Evoluzion clutch slave master cylinder
990 style water pump kit
“Back Off” taillight flasher
Fastway foot pegs
Touratek rear brake cylinder guard
Aux charging plug
Cut down windscreen (no more head buffeting)
Black Dog kick stand relocator
Kick stand switch disabled
Front crash bars
Custom “Linex” paint job
All known factory TSBs completed