Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #16
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I believe what you're looking for is a set of pre-cut protective, removable film for your 990? There's one company I know of off hand that makes a set for the 990. They're called Lamin-X and they make protective films for exotic cars and various other applications. I ordered some fog light shapes from them to protect my lenses from stone throws and it's some good material.

Anyway, looks like $99 bucks buys a full pre-cut kit for the 990

http://www.lamin-x.com/KTM-990-Adven...t-p/kt1802.htm
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
Hill Climber OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTriton View Post
I believe what you're looking for is a set of pre-cut protective, removable film for your 990? There's one company I know of off hand that makes a set for the 990. They're called Lamin-X and they make protective films for exotic cars and various other applications. I ordered some fog light shapes from them to protect my lenses from stone throws and it's some good material.

Anyway, looks like $99 bucks buys a full pre-cut kit for the 990

http://www.lamin-x.com/KTM-990-Adven...t-p/kt1802.htm
Thanks for the link!! Having the ability to install a pre-cut kit is the easy way to go. If doing it myself from scratch doesn't work out, I'll certainly consider ordering from these guys!!!
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Soberman001
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
Thanks for all the comments from everyone. This is such a great motorcycle community!!!
The TankSlapper site looked promising, but they don't have an option for my 990Adv bike. I'm waiting for a response from them to see if they intend to include this bike in the future.
I'm going to check out a sign shop and see what they have to offer, and if that doesn't work, I now have lots of options available!

BTW, my 530 is my get dirty, stay dirty bike. The 990 is my get dirty, get clean bike. Easier to clean with a protective film on it!!

Thanks again..
Hillcimber,.. check ebay or amazon. Both have 3m clear film or 100 colors. I bought a massive role of 6ft wide flat black for ~$54. The only value in waiting for tank slapper is the pre-cut shapes but if you wrap the entire area end to end, you can cut it yourself with an ruler and exacto blade and then apply like any decal with water/soap and a little heat to make flexible. If you want to cut shapes, use a large sheet of paper on the bike to make a template, then lay that template on the 3m wrap, and cut with an exacto knife. Rarely are both sides of a tank perfectly even anyway so make two templates if you want to shape it like your legs or other typical tank shape if not end to end (past the edge where it can't be seen anyway)

If you practice, you can wrap the whole bike if you like for a fraction of the pre-cut stuff.
Soberman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #19
Hill Climber OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soberman001 View Post
Hillcimber,.. check ebay or amazon. Both have 3m clear film or 100 colors. I bought a massive role of 6ft wide flat black for ~$54. The only value in waiting for tank slapper is the pre-cut shapes but if you wrap the entire area end to end, you can cut it yourself with an ruler and exacto blade and then apply like any decal with water/soap and a little heat to make flexible. If you want to cut shapes, use a large sheet of paper on the bike to make a template, then lay that template on the 3m wrap, and cut with an exacto knife. Rarely are both sides of a tank perfectly even anyway so make two templates if you want to shape it like your legs or other typical tank shape if not end to end (past the edge where it can't be seen anyway)

If you practice, you can wrap the whole bike if you like for a fraction of the pre-cut stuff.
Thanks Soberman.... Great idea making a template!! Meat wrapping paper or baking parchment paper should work. I'll check out a graphics shop in town for some 3M first, and if they're too expensive or can't supply, I'll look at ordering some from Amazon.
I got an email from tankslapper today, and they ARE carrying the pre-cut kit for a 990. He wasn't sure why it wasn't on the web site, but said it will be soon.
Link: http://thetankslapper.biz/osc/produc...oducts_id=1476
They have a graphic showing the kit, and I see it as how best to optimize a sheet of 3M.....
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #20
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
Thanks Soberman.... Great idea making a template!! Meat wrapping paper or baking parchment paper should work. I'll check out a graphics shop in town for some 3M first, and if they're too expensive or can't supply, I'll look at ordering some from Amazon.
I got an email from tankslapper today, and they ARE carrying the pre-cut kit for a 990. He wasn't sure why it wasn't on the web site, but said it will be soon.
Link: http://thetankslapper.biz/osc/produc...oducts_id=1476
They have a graphic showing the kit, and I see it as how best to optimize a sheet of 3M.....
Sign shops have tracing paper that is tacky on one side. You also find this in shops that do airbrush work.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote