User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Dave Funk OP
talent scout

Oddometer: 28
ktm 1190 bags sealed shut

Today my dealer drilled out the locks on my ktm bags that refused to open. The latest issue of Cycle World had the same issue during a comparison between the new BMW and the 1190. This happened in less than 2K miles. KTM told my dealer to order new locks but that is not the problem. They won't take them back. any body else with the same issue?
Dave Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 60,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Funk View Post
Today my dealer drilled out the locks on my ktm bags that refused to open. The latest issue of Cycle World had the same issue during a comparison between the new BMW and the 1190. This happened in less than 2K miles. KTM told my dealer to order new locks but that is not the problem. They won't take them back. any body else with the same issue?
I like the bags but the keys are twitchy ..... sometimes they work perfect sometimes they feel like they drag a bit I wonder if some lube would help ??

PB
Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Funk View Post
I have had the same problem since day, in short the KTM Street Touring luggage is shyte, had I known this I would have never bought the side panniers and topbox. The locking mechanism sticks continuously and if you look closely, the side panniers locks are fully exposed when locked so all dirt and crud will get into these locks. I would not lube as it will just turn to paste.

KTM are selling sub standard kit and they know it and I see no way fixing this as the design is very Chinese.

Anyone wanting to buy the KTM Powerparts luggage, DON'T!!! They seal well, look great but like Chinese crap, they break, don't last and give endless shyte.

Just requested a warranty claim on my side panniers due to the locks as KTM had to replace the topbox already as it came new...broken from Austria.

KTM sent me a "fix" which I listed in the panniers thread, if it does not work then I can do a warranty claim so say KTM so they know they have a problem.

Bluesilver screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 06:05 AM
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
breakfastbuddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Ktm Luggage

they are not so bad , they need a little tlc , they dont work automatic, try to spend some time on them and they will work .
breakfastbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #5
KawiPhil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Which luggage are you referring to here? The touring luggage or the luggage made by Touratech for KTM? I bought the KTM Touratech and the lock cylinders don't fit the clasps. Waiting six weeks now for KTM to get the proper sets.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 60,578
my bike goes back to the dealer Monday for a square tire and prolly an out of round rim I am going to bring up the bag issues. I really like the layout of the bags but this lock issue is a concern.

PB
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 831
I had the touring (KTM) bags and due to the same problem, at the 1000km service, I took them back to the dealer. That was January. The dealer has since said KTM refused to do anything about it.
The bags are still at the dealer. I have since purchased the Touratech racks and panniers.
Such a nice bike. I refuse to hang that shit on it.

PS: Mine also leaked and when I took them back to the dealer it took the tech over an hour to get them off of the bike.
IBA#44072
93 Sportster Trike
06 HP2E (4-sale)
10 RoadGlide 120R
14 KTM 1190 Adv.
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #8
Stromcat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Try taking them off the bike with the lids open.Seem to come off easier this way,I think the pannier lid latches need to be able to move for the pannier release mechanism to work.
Stromcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Dave Funk OP
talent scout

Oddometer: 28
bags still at dealer

First you have to get them open. Now another magazine has had trouble with the bags motorcycle consumer news july issue KTM sent dealer a 6 page instruction sheet to fix my bags, they say now these bags are for the street not off road. Look at all the pictures showing the bike in the dirt with these bags on it
Dave Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Keep Your Bag Clean!

So we can assume!
The only good bag is a Clean bag!
You can not drag your bag in the dirt!
All in all it seems KTM has signed off on a POS!
Time for them to Man up! Do the right thing!
Why would they risk a fine reputation on Corporate Crap?
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
So we can assume!
The only good bag is a Clean bag!
You can not drag your bag in the dirt!
All in all it seems KTM has signed off on a POS!
Time for them to Man up! Do the right thing!
Why would they risk a fine reputation on Corporate Crap?
After I bitched yet again about their POS Powerpart kit as the topbox came "broken" from Austria then my keys would not fit to short which was replaced a YEAR after the recall was made now the side panniers are near breaking to open...

As I said in post 3... this is where I get my panties in a knot, you spray it, the locks on the "Powerparts" bag is fully exposed to the elements, ANY dirt and it will turn to grinding past so what, now I must dis-assemble the lock clean and degrease/spray...WTF...

Rather go for the Touratech Bags that KTM offer, they not BUILD/designed by KTM and so funny enough, they WORK!

Be the last KTM I ever buy, KAK service.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote