ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
artbone OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Map of N Italy and Switzerland for 550

Does anyone know of a N. Italy and Switzerland map that I can download to my MapSource and then download to my Garmin Zumo 550? Specifically I need the Milan, Lake Como areas and the passes in Switzerland within about 150 miles of Lake Como.

Not all who wander are lost.

http://tinyurl.com/adventurebeforedementia
artbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbone View Post
Does anyone know of a N. Italy and Switzerland map that I can download to my MapSource and then download to my Garmin Zumo 550? Specifically I need the Milan, Lake Como areas and the passes in Switzerland within about 150 miles of Lake Como.
well there's this: MAPS
or you could try bit torrents...

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
artbone OP
Adventurer

My problem is that I have a chip that I downloaded Europe CitySelect onto several years ago. After the download I found that I can't transfer the map to my MapSource to use for planning purposes. Now I'm in Mexico and I left my 550 in the US and I'm going to Europe in 2 weeks. I borrowed a friend's 550 and put my chip in it and the unit won't let me unlock the map. I've tried connecting the chip with a USB port and using BaseCamp and that works, sort of. I can make waypoints but BaseCamp doesn't autoroute. You have to draw in the route and transfer it.

I guess I could just spend the $70 and buy my friend the map which he will never have a use for and I can't download to my MapSource or use in my 550 but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
My problem is that I have a chip that I downloaded Europe CitySelect onto several years ago. After the download I found that I can't transfer the map to my MapSource to use for planning purposes. Now I'm in Mexico and I left my 550 in the US and I'm going to Europe in 2 weeks. I borrowed a friend's 550 and put my chip in it and the unit won't let me unlock the map. I've tried connecting the chip with a USB port and using BaseCamp and that works, sort of. I can make waypoints but BaseCamp doesn't autoroute. You have to draw in the route and transfer it.

I guess I could just spend the $70 and buy my friend the map which he will never have a use for and I can't download to my MapSource or use in my 550 but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.
ah...
so you need Euro Maps for MapSource?
a trickier solution for sure.
best bet then is MAP unfortunately.
you sort of left it to the last minute, or if you were closer, I could hook you up with MapSource for your PC with Euro Maps. have fun in Europe, I am 27 days to departure myself!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
artbone OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
ah...
so you need Euro Maps for MapSource?
a trickier solution for sure.
best bet then is MAP unfortunately.
you sort of left it to the last minute, or if you were closer, I could hook you up with MapSource for your PC with Euro Maps. have fun in Europe, I am 27 days to departure myself!
Yes, I've about decided I will just download the map to my friends device and be done with it. It just pisses me off that Garmin is such a PITA to deal with. I hate to buy something twice, especially since I still won't have it on MapSource.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Yes, I've about decided I will just download the map to my friends device and be done with it. It just pisses me off that Garmin is such a PITA to deal with. I hate to buy something twice, especially since I still won't have it on MapSource.

well if you just want Euro maps on an SD card to stick in the GPS then you could surf for an unlocked version on bit torrents. yeah yeah... its "illegal", so you will need to clear your conscience first.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

decent maps, work very well with garmin, they lack some amenity info, but in many cases I find the maps much better than the garmin ones.

oh, and free too
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
artbone OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
well if you just want Euro maps on an SD card to stick in the GPS then you could surf for an unlocked version on bit torrents. yeah yeah... its "illegal", so you will need to clear your conscience first.
As far as Garmin is concerned, my conscience is clear.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
As far as Garmin is concerned, my conscience is clear.
And as far as ADV is concerned - we clearly support the rights of intellectual property owners, whether it's Garmin or others.

Dave
ADV Mod

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
artbone OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
And as far as ADV is concerned - we clearly support the rights of intellectual property owners, whether it's Garmin or others.

Dave
ADV Mod
Yeah, well, I've bought this map one time and have the chip in hand but I can't use it on my borrowed GPS. Reminds me of the music industry. I've bought "Highway 61 Revisited" on 331/3, 8 track, cassette, CD, and ITunes. And, it cost more every time I bought it. It seems to me they should give me a break on the price at least.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,744
Quote:
Yeah, well, I've bought this map one time and have the chip in hand but I can't use it on my borrowed GPS. Reminds me of the music industry. I've bought "Highway 61 Revisited" on 331/3, 8 track, cassette, CD, and ITunes. And, it cost more every time I bought it. It seems to me they should give me a break on the price at least.
If I have understood this thread and your other correctly - it seems you have downloaded maps to a chip, registered it to your GPS, and now you want to use it in a different GPS than the one that you purchased it for. That is not supported by their licensing.

Quote:
I made the mistake of downloading a European map from Garmin to my Zumo 550, not realizing I wouldn't be able to put the map in MapSource and use it to plan trips, lay out ruetes routes, etc.

Does anyone know how I could download the map from the chip to my MapSource?
Quote:
I borrowed a friend's 550 (I'm in Mexico and my 550 is in the US) and put the chip in the borrowed unit. When I hooked it to the computer the first time everything seemed to work but as soon as I shut the unit down and started it again I got a message that the maps can't be unlocked.

Will Garmin let me register my borrowed GPS as my own and then use the chip with the downloaded map or is there another work-around? I really want to have a good map for riding around in big cities in Italy.
But given that - have you tried calling them, explaining your situation, and seeing if they would help you? Sometimes they can be, though I've not seen reports of them allowing something like this.

If you purchased the mapset on a chip, you could use it in any compatible unit, and via Basecamp. And as noted in the other thread, a DVD purchase is always the most flexible for planning purposes.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Hi,

I have a .gpx file with a hundred of swiss passes, maybe it'll interest you?
GeeK_InsiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
steinVT
Just a rider

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
Hi,

It would interest me!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
Hi,

And me!
(BTW the OP is 3 yrs old )