ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
shortman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Tellico Area Trail 81

Hello All.... I thought I would share a couple of pictures from the weekend... Spud and I went up with the idea of trying out the Python loop. We were doing alright until we got to trail 81. I had the bright idea of going up Mcfarland Road to the top of the trail and working our way back down to Smith Mountain Road. So we find the trail head and start heading up. I know others have said it before but until you experience this trail first had you really can't grasp the pucker factor... Going the direction we choose there are 2 fairly steep & rutted hills to climb right at the beginning then it really get interesting. The trail is only like 2 feet wide and it's VERY steep drop off the left side. To say the least you gotta make damn sure you don't fall to the left LoL.... To add a little spice to that there were trees down across the trail. The first one we came to wasn't to bad. We were able to go down the hill a little to get around but the second was a different story entirely.... This was a massive tree that had fallen and we were in a section of the trail that was very narrow and very steep, meaning that it was almost straight up on the right and straight down on the left. There was barley enough room to get off the bike without sliding off the side of the mountain. We could see that another adventure rider had work his way up to the tree and laid his bike in the dirt to the right and slid it thru a small gap under the tree... So we deiced to give it a try.... WoW... What a lot of work and there were 2 of us.... We did eventually make it thru but we were completely exhausted.

The most important info I wanna share about this is a huge hole that has formed almost directly under the tree... We didn't see it while getting my bike thru but while working Spud's bike under the tree he stepped into this hole which is basically the side of the trail that has complete washed away. It looks like one of the large branches slammed the side of the trail causing it to break away when the tree initially fell then rain has helped it along. Once the tree is cut and removed the trail will be basically impassable until the hole is filled back in. The tree branched are the only thing allowing it to be passable now (and the fact that the bike is basically lying in it's side sliding along the bank). Spud and I both wish we had taken the time to talk a picture while the bike was under the tree but we got so focused on trying to get them under the tree that we didn't think about it until it was to late...

If one of you was lucky bastard that went under that tree before us then your deserve a huge thumbs up man!
shortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
shortman OP
Adventurer

Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
shortman OP
Adventurer

Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortman View Post
Just rode it a few weeks ago, went the same direction, what a trail!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,396
Inmate Minimike maintains 81 and 82. Maybe he and his crew will get it fixed up. He does this out of the kindness of his hart, so hats off to him and his crew.

I have taken a KLR and DR650's across that trail in both directions, you talk about having your hands full.

I also witnessed inmate Donho ride a GS800 (without knobbies) down the trail in the rain. He went in from the upper side, but still a great challenge non the less.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote