ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
monjorrow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
NC/SC beach trip recommendations

The girlfriend and a couple of friends of ours are wanting to go to the beach in mid August. The only problem is I hate the beach with a passion and have avoided it since I was old enough to stay away from family vacations to the beach. This meaning I know nothing about where to go really and what is good and what is bad. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible and the less people the better. So opinions on where to go and where to stay would be much appreciated. And depending on budget I would possibly be looking at doing like a half day inshore red fish charter so if you know any reputable guides that'd be great too!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Leget

Oddometer: 518
The Cape Lookout area is really great if you're trying to avoid the crowds.
Local ferry service is available to the Cape from Beaufort and Harkers Island.
You can camp on the beach there......

http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

You also might want to consider one of the rental homes available on Harkers Island which is a great alternative to an overpriced hotel on the beach.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Leget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 151
Finding a beach without lots of people in mid-August may be a challenge, waiting until after Labor Day reduces the crowds considerably.

Haven't been there in a long time, but the Outer Banks were pretty nice. From Kitty Hawk all the way down to Ocracoke Island.

That said... Ocean Isle or Sunset Beach in NC are nice and typically not too crowded.

Mt. Pleasant and Folly Beach near Charleston might not be real crowded.

We went to Edisto Island last year and it wasn't real busy. I didn't care much for the beach itself... too steep and rocky for my taste.

We've been to Hilton Head several times and it's nice as well. The beach can be very busy or not busy at all depending on where you are on the island.

I've heard Tybee Island is nice though I've never been there.

If you prefer the gulf coast... Apalachiacola / St. George Island is a good quiet spot.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
monjorrow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Thanks I'll look into all of those and see if I can plan a semi enjoyable trip lol
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Add the beach at Hunting Island, outside of Beaufort SC.
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I can vouch for tybee island. There are private hotels there and some neat local places to eat. Ocean isle is nice and we would go back there as well as N. Myrtle Beach too.

My favorite has been ocean city, MD. Though that might be farther than you want to travel.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
cleanerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
North Litchfield, just south of Murrells Inlet, SC has a very nice beach. Rent a house, split the cost and have a wonderful time. Big beach and usually not too crowded. If you like to walk in the early morning, you may have it to yourself. Brookgreen Gardens is a must see if you are in the area.

Several good "biker" watering holes in Murrells Inlet. Good shopping for the ladies and a good place to goof off for the guys.

XT250 2009
DL650 2011
Gl1800 2008
cleanerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Thumb OBX Ocrakoke

Ocrakoke if its still there!

The last storm, "Arthur" covered or move Route 12 in several locations & repairs may be ongoing through the summer & or until the next storm.

enjoy
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
Coworker was just down in Myrtle Beach, he said the paid-entry beaches were like ghost towns compared to the free beaches.
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,399
In addition to the above, check Topsail Island/Surf City too.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
I have a house at Ocean Isle (not for rent...sorry)...we move in there for a few weeks every summer and just got back from that trip.

Fishing is good....charter Capt. Jacob or Capt. Jeff from www.oifc.com for Flounder, Redfish, Trout, etc. inshore. You could also do 1/2 day offshore for King Mackerel, or full day for gulf stream/mahi, wahoo, etc.

Ocean Isle is family oriented and the most commercialization there is a couple restaurants, small fishing center, ice cream shop, pier, a couple bars and mini golf. Just enough to keep you busy, but not enough to annoy you.

Ocean Isle is also 40 minutes from Wilmington or Southport for a cool half day trip. Also 30-40 minutes from North Myrtle/Myrtle for a half day of chaos in the more busy tourist areas.

If you want to rent a canal house there, you are looking at thousands per week...but they will sleep an army of people.

The Winds at Ocean Isle is a more rustic little beachfront hotel on the quiet end of the island....

there are also some condo options for rent....

You can rent a kayak or two and have a little fun if you don't have access to a boat...

Anyway, it's a nice place to consider, along with Sunset, Holden or Oak Island...

Further north is Wrightsville Beach and Topsail....nice places too.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
MayorOfBBQ
Come at me bro

Oddometer: 232
We own a house on Ocean Isle, Anson St ... Yes a good recommendmendation... good luck finding an open house or hotel room in August this late notice tho??

We don't rent out house either, so I am not sure about the market... but I think most of those rental houses get booked months and months in advance.

What sort of experience are you looking for?

Cheap Hotel
Nice Hotel
Rental house
camping
etc
etc

I say you'd have to be nuts to camp at the beach in August

"Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski" -Wu
MayorOfBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfBBQ View Post
We own a house on Ocean Isle, Anson St ... Yes a good recommendmendation... good luck finding an open house or hotel room in August this late notice tho??

We don't rent out house either, so I am not sure about the market... but I think most of those rental houses get booked months and months in advance.

What sort of experience are you looking for?

Cheap Hotel
Nice Hotel
Rental house
camping
etc
etc

I say you'd have to be nuts to camp at the beach in August
We are on Dare St.
Wife and son typically move in there for the summer...I run back and forth with work, work there when I can, fly out of ILM or MYR, etc. They logged 6 weeks between Memorial Day and yesterday down there. A bunch of grumpiness here today back in the Atlanta suburbs!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
MayorOfBBQ
Come at me bro

Oddometer: 232
I'm stuck in this house with my mom and her husband.

I hate the beach.. When I look at that house I see a money pit.. That's about it.

Trying to get out now.. But my mom loves the place and drives down from Burlington to spend 3-4 days a week there.

Of course she can do this with no damn job... I go a handful of times a year, mostly just to take my GF or friends who want to go...

I can't even enjoy myself while I'm there... All I see is the meter spinning on the homeowners insurance, flood, wind, fire, high ass utilities..
How many more years before I have to shell out for canal dredging again???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski" -Wu
MayorOfBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,307
Damn those 1st world problems!!!

Sell it or rent it out, make it work for you.

<>< Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfBBQ View Post
I'm stuck in this house with my mom and her husband.

I hate the beach.. When I look at that house I see a money pit.. That's about it.

Trying to get out now.. But my mom loves the place and drives down from Burlington to spend 3-4 days a week there.

Of course she can do this with no damn job... I go a handful of times a year, mostly just to take my GF or friends who want to go...

I can't even enjoy myself while I'm there... All I see is the meter spinning on the homeowners insurance, flood, wind, fire, high ass utilities..
How many more years before I have to shell out for canal dredging again???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain