ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
RidingUpAndDown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Adirondacks - unpaved

I've been looking at a trip to the Adirondacks and am wondering if I can get some local knowledge/feedback on what appears, on paper, to be some great back roads of the unpaved kind up there. Quite a few hundred miles of back roads.

Wondering if these are mostly gravel, vs. something sand/dirt?
What is it like in the Spring, and when does the mud get out?
What about places to camp? Is stealth camping a possibility?
Is there a black fly season, if so when?
Any resource to check-in on local conditions, road closings...?
Are there any good back road trip reports out there?
??

Many Thanks, dean
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2014 Adirondacks unpaved.gpx (638.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
UpstateTriumph
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'm interested in making a similar trip. Unfortunately I can't answer many of your questions as it'll be my first time riding ADK.

If you search Adirondack or Tug Hill there are a number of threads w/ trip reports and tracks. Attached looks like a good route, but I believe motorcycles are not allowed on the road through Moose River Plains.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Browns Tract - Moose River Plains.gpx (459.2 KB, 50 views)
UpstateTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
UpstateTriumph
n00b

Another route:
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Harrisville.gpx (571.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
2upadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateTriumph View Post
I believe motorcycles are not allowed on the road through Moose River Plains.
That is correct but there is a nice dirt road between Raquette Lake and Inlet that iwll get you to the same location.
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Thanks for posting the map

I haven't explored those roads and I will be checking them out as soon as it warms up.
CannonsvilleRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
UpstateTriumph
n00b

Anyone rode 10 Mile Truck Crossing Rd, in Brantingham or McCarty Rd? I'm thinking of planning a route: Partridgeville rd - 10 Mile truck crossing rd - Balsam Flats rd - McCarty Rd to Stillwater.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
mp183
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Wolf Pond Road from Mt. View to Standish
Where it heads east by Wolf Pond, is not paved
I would stay away from it if you are on a street bike
Will probably be vey challenging, sections have a tendency go get washed out. Only Wold Pond Road is public others are private and patrolled by Forest Service guy with a 40 cal. Glock.
Studley Hill Rd. is not paved but you can go it on a street bike.
Going south of Wold Pond.
D & H road is a mixture of private logging roads
The railroad bed is the way to go but it's not legal but enforcement
is pretty rare.
#14 Red Tavern road is a nice paved road
You might not see anyone all the way to St. Regis Falls, even in the summer.
Blue Mountain Road south of Santa Clara, starts paved and becomes dirt
nobody there. You can do it in your car.
Dear Valley Trails is a nice eating spot in the woods just about where the pavement ends. The roads going west off Blue Mt. Road are all pretty much gated. You think you can pass and find out you can't.
To go west in that area you have to stay way to the north or way to the south.
Too much unused private land in the hands of all types of foundations from the old robber baron days of our history.
More and more roads become gated.

mp183 screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 10:21 AM
mp183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
jontow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Wondering if these are mostly gravel, vs. something sand/dirt?
What is it like in the Spring, and when does the mud get out?
What about places to camp? Is stealth camping a possibility?
Is there a black fly season, if so when?
Any resource to check-in on local conditions, road closings...?
Are there any good back road trip reports out there?

If you're taking this trip in spring: most of the roads up in this region will be pretty screwed up from frost heaving, and you might as well consider them all partially gravel. I don't recall exactly when black fly season is, but if you take Red Tavern Rd during it, you'll know.

Your route looks a lot like one that I mapped out a few times over on dualsportmaps.com, and I've travelled big pieces of this many times over. You've got some stuff I didn't find or try, though, like Wolf Pond, etc.

See above about Blue Mtn Road: if you get on it in St Regis Falls, you can expect to either turn around, or come out by the entrance to Paul Smith's College. There really isn't another way out that doesn't involve gate crashing: too bad, I had mapped a nice path out through the Bay Pond club area just off the west of Blue Mtn Rd.. but there's a very nice gate *and gatehouse* at the entrance to the road. Total no go.

I joke with my friends locally that the ADK's biggest natural resource is gates. Take Blue Mtn Rd and you'll see why I say that--huge number of beautiful [gated] private side roads.

A lot of the section between Blue Mtn Rd and Sterling Pond Rd (just outside Parishville, NY) is owned by timber companies, leased to hunting clubs. They love their gates, too. Sometimes you'll find a gate open: doesn't mean its 100% legitimate to be on the road, and if someone catches you, they may run you off. I haven't been shot at without verbal warning [yet].

From Sterling Pond Rd where it meets White Hill Rd / Joe Indian Rd / Stark Rd (same road, changes names/towns repeatedly along its route) all the way out to SH56, this is all paved: some of it quite nice and twisty and great to ride, some is a little busted up.

Your route from 56 out into nowhere and back onto itself, well, I don't want to be a buzzkill because there is a *LOT* of good riding there. The route looks awesome, but runs through many gated areas. There are public entrances to this tract of land, and once you're in, you can get to the back side of most of the gates without getting hassled, however, going through a gate is different than being able to touch it from both sides....somehow?

This ride looks like a huge amount of fun: but there are a lot of gates, and I don't want you to be too disappointed. I've lived to the northwest of these tracks for a few decades and still haven't learned all of the legal vs. illegal routes :)

I do have a few GPX files to help you out though: they're all tracks from my GPS or similar, cleaned up with Viking and/or dualsportmaps, before google killed it.

http://bd.zenbsd.net/~jontow/gpx/SLC_Day_Trip.gpx (links White Hill Rd to Rt 3, with other riding in between)
http://bd.zenbsd.net/~jontow/gpx/han...ssex-ferry.gpx (fairly direct route with more detail than what you've posted, but confirmed ridable roads. one of my favorite routes)
http://bd.zenbsd.net/~jontow/gpx/long_pond_run.gpx (this is that section between 56 and 3, and includes a valid route through: I have been hassled before by someone who decided I wasn't using the conservation easement the way he demanded I should)

Lot of nice riding up here, but you have to take lots of time to find it in and amongst the dead ends and gated roads.
jontow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
GoFish2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
10 Mile Road Brantingham to Stillwater

Quote:
Anyone rode 10 Mile Truck Crossing Rd, in Brantingham or McCarty Rd? I'm thinking of planning a route: Partridgeville rd - 10 Mile truck crossing rd - Balsam Flats rd - McCarty Rd to Stillwater.
10 mile is really 16 miles and is gated. I got around the gates and caught hell. It's awesome. If someone waves you down, don't stop, and definitely don't do it during hunting season.

A better alternative is Stillwater to Eagle Bay.
GoFish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
UpstateTriumph
n00b

Ahh I just a planned a route down Ten mile truck road, and saw this. How far is down is the gated section? I'm would be coming from Brantingham lake
Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
GoFish2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Ten Mile

Quote:
Ahh I just a planned a route down Ten mile truck road, and saw this. How far is down is the gated section? I'm would be coming from Brantingham lake
There's a gate a almost immediately at the Brantingham end. Another gate maybe a mile from the other end. A smaller bike can squeeze around them. It's really not worth the hassle of getting in trouble. Property owners have keys and it's open to sledders in the winter.

A nice stretch would be from Croghan to Stillwater to Eagle Bay. This ends at rt. 28, just North of Old Forge. More than half is dirt. For a map pm me your email.
GoFish2 is offline   Reply With Quote