ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
OrangeDevil37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
i have ran stainless steel filtersw with no problems in all of my bikes. i have never had an issue. its funny how these ss filters scare the hell out of everyone. if they didnt work, no one would buy them...
2006 250sx-f
OrangeDevil37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 AM   #17
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Have had one in the 950 for 80,000km no problems. Still on original clutch and water pump. Do people think the seal will suddenly completely fail and drop all of the coolant in a short period of time? I think it would seep over a period of time and if this is the case your paper filter is swelling gradually between oil changes and continually affecting your oil pressure. No thanks. Engines will have amounts of water in condensation in them and vapourise it as it gets to operating temperature so a tiny amount is ok, but obviously not if you arent running it long enough. Same reason automotive manufacturers now put SS exhausts on new cars, because people dont run them long enough to get rid of the condensation causing mild steel exhausts to rust out.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Pressure gauges can go bad. Warning lights can burn. I prefer to have 4 warning alarms than one: cam chain rattle, sludge in the clutch cover, low pressure light on, curved pleats on my oil filter, loosing coolant. Mind you, if SS filter is used and coolant in the oil is not too much, you get no chain rattle, no warning light, no curved oil filter pleats. So you are left with sludge in the clutch cover and loosing coolant only which can go on for a while, until you dive in there.
Cheers.
Same here, plus an oil pressure gauge. I don't take my clutch cover off often enough to want to use that as a warning, and coolant loss is pretty unreliable for me since I do a lot of off road riding, and have found that coolant can slosh out of the reservoir in the really rough stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the oiling system is basically the most important thing on the bike, since I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. Nothing else can really cause much lasting damage, and the cooling system is easy to monitor with the factory gauge.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote