User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,586
Tinted Visors for you're helmet

I've never owned a tinted helmet visor. I'm typically a clear visor sunglasses type of rider. Is a tinted visor worth the trouble? I would guess you would always need to carry both,

I know, a dumb thread here, but I was just looking for some opinions.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I've never owned a tinted helmet visor. I'm typically a clear visor sunglasses type of rider. Is a tinted visor worth the trouble? I would guess you would always need to carry both,

I like a tinted faceshield during the day on my HJC -- very easy to change out -- but I like the internal shade on the Nolan N91 even better.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Turtletownman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I am old and my eyesight is not as good as it once was. I do not like tinted shield. Can't see well in the dark. A heavy rain reduces visibility bad enough without reducing it more. Tunnels are not fun. Yes raise the shield when needed, but then they tend to shut on their own at the worst time.
Internal sun shield is the best for me.
Bob
Turtletownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Thanks. I have a shoei rf1100 now so I don't have an internal flip down visor,
Old 06-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:

I find a tinted shield almost indispensable. No sunglasses to slip out of position, create pressure points, and no gap for sunlight or glare to find its way through. Unspoiled peripheral vision. Feels cooler since the heat/radiation intensity is greatly attenuated by the tint also.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
steve68steve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I'm a big fan of tinted visors.

The fit of my helmet doesn't allow a lot of clearance for sunglass arms, and the glasses themselves always put a little bit of pressure on my head. After riding a few hours, the pain caused by the sunglasses became unbearable. This happened with every pair of glasses/ helmet combination I ever had. I even tried cutting most of the arms off a pair of sunglasses so they just sort of sit in front of my eyes. Still no joy.

I got a tinted visor for my HJC helmet and it's been a game-changer. I have an Arai helmet I haven't converted because it's fussier to change shields. Next helmet I buy will have the built-in sun visor - best of both worlds.

Downsides:
1. Riding with the shield all the way up isn't really an option
2. You have to carry a clear shield and switch if riding after dark. Not often for me.
3. $ to buy another shield, space to store another shield on the bike if you anticipate the need to change.

'12 Glee
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Ok, I'm Sold. I'm going to order 1.
10 years on a Street bike and I'm ready to try somthing new

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustor777 View Post
I find a tinted shield almost indispensable. No sunglasses to slip out of position, create pressure points, and no gap for sunlight or glare to find its way through. Unspoiled peripheral vision. Feels cooler since the heat/radiation intensity is greatly attenuated by the tint also.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
I always buy a helmet with an internal drop down shade, packing around an extra visor was just too big of an aggravation.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
JKAP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I wear a tinted visor and love it…It never fees too dark, even in overcast or rainy situations. I don't ride at night for extended periods of time so I pack clear glasses if I know I'll be riding at night.
JKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
DUXGS
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Photochromatic shields

A good compromise to carrying 2 shields is a photochromatic shield that works like eyeglasses & changes to tinted in the sun and clear when it's not bright out. There's one out there that fits several Bell helmets-- Vortex, Star, RS1. Works great & I don't have to schlep around a spare shield. Had the helmet 1st & then picked up the shield.

May be others out there, but that's what I've seen.
DUXGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I always buy a helmet with an internal drop down shade, packing around an extra visor was just too big of an aggravation.
The internal drop-down shades aren't normally at the same quality of a regualr pair of sunglasses. Living in south Florida, all many of the drop-downs seem to do is tint the bright sun and surroundings without actually helping prevent blinding me, and without reflecting enough of the different rays.

Garbage.

----------------

The best I can say to the OP is that a good tinted visor is worth it if you ride daytime. Getting caught at work and riding home with a dark visor is dangerous.

Since this is an ADV site and most of us probably don't have the storage dressed out street bikes have, it's a true pain to even consider bringing a clear visor along with ya.

Stick to clear with sunglasses if you regularly get caught out at dark, but do get a dark visor if you do ride strong sun and primarily (like 99%) daytime.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
lmao many others have a much different experience so you must be buying either defective helmets or cheapo helmets or simply never thought of buying a helmet with an internal shade so you bash them online lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The internal drop-down shades aren't normally at the same quality of a regualr pair of sunglasses. Living in south Florida, all many of the drop-downs seem to do is tint the bright sun and surroundings without actually helping prevent blinding me, and without reflecting enough of the different rays.

Garbage.

----------------

The best I can say to the OP is that a good tinted visor is worth it if you ride daytime. Getting caught at work and riding home with a dark visor is dangerous.

Since this is an ADV site and most of us probably don't have the storage dressed out street bikes have, it's a true pain to even consider bringing a clear visor along with ya.

Stick to clear with sunglasses if you regularly get caught out at dark, but do get a dark visor if you do ride strong sun and primarily (like 99%) daytime.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I wear prescription glasses and have a AVG helmet with that quick snap visor I of course have the Clear one and the Mirror one, I usually keep the Mirror one on, I have a back-pack that I sometimes carry if I'll be out shopping or what not and I'll just take my clear visor if I know I'll possibly be on the road when it gets too dark to see through the visor so around 8:30PM summer and around 5:00PM Winter.

Personally I love the Tinted Visor it's a HUGE helpe on bright days and you can still see fine on overcast days, If it's not too much trouble and if you KNOW you'll be out past sun-down just carry the clear visor with you.

The only downside with the AGV quick swap is the Visor won't stay open past 50MPH which is fine, I'll usually only open the Tinted Visor in the Early Mornings anyway and by time I hit the freeway the suns up enough that I can slap it closed anyway.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,038
Quote:
. Is a tinted visor worth the trouble? I would guess you would always need to carry both,

Yes it's worth it, and depending on how much night riding you do, not necessary to always carry both. Irridescent "mirror" visors work well to block UV but not darken things so much you can't see in dim light. Don't' recommend them for flat out night riding though.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,853
What do I do...

I fit my glasses to helmets as a primary "must". I wear prescription sunglasses and anymore, some of the tint shields can pay about half the cost of the prescription lenses.

I prefer the glasses over shields, far easier to store in a pocket somewhere. Takes me about 30 seconds to change out glasses. I get the dark tint I want in glasses that they don't have in shields, since the glasses are tinted to order. I have a pair of wrap around glasses with a gasket to close up around my cheeks and brow to wear with the dual sport helmet (and for recreational stuff, like bicycling - multiple uses) so I can flip up the shield for ventilation if I want, far less likely to have dust/debris get in my eyes.

I just have never been a big fan of carrying cumbersome shields to swap out and getting caught in the dark with a tinted shield isn't too good. My bikes don't have cases on them and a shield takes up too much space in the backpack that might be carrying a coat liner, some packages to mail, or something I bought at a store. Glasses in a case take up far less space.

As for the flip down visors, I haven't bought any helmet that might have that lately, but there is the issue of looking through three lenses. So I just do it with my prescrip glasses.

Oh, I also use OTG L Frame Oakleys with the MX helmet. Again, about 30 seconds to change glasses and I can carry them in a coat pocket without any problem. On the googles it would take a couple minutes to swap out the lense.

That's how I do it and why.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 06-29-2014 at 08:26 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote