Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
i am starting to think it may be a symtom of age rather than the bike!

For me the vibes felt in the seat and pegs is almost non-existent.

Age and wear and tear for me plays a big part in the right hand numbness.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #17
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Have you ridden a 990?

No one should buy a motorcycle without test riding it first. Especially when they are expensive. All motorcycles vibrate. I recommend you test ride the 1190 and then come up with your own conclusion whether you think it vibrates or not. It changes from person to person, it is more subjective than you can imagine. That's why the reviews differ from one another.
I purchased my 2014 1190 without a test ride, only went on reviews and youtube clips. I traded my 2011 K1300s for the 1190, this bike is simply amazing.
The ride is so involving so joyful, you forget about all that shit about wind noise and whatever else bugs you....
Its an amazing engine its not perfect, but why would you want a perfect bike.
No challenge in that ...

my signature tells the truth...
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #18
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
It is much smoother than my 950 was but is not even close to my BMW K1200LT( I never expected it to be either). I have done a couple of long dual sport days now and find that at 75 to 80 on the freeway the vibes are not bad at all, it is the wind noise. The seat with a sheep skin on it makes a big improvement, no vibes felt there . On the 950 at freeway speeds my head felt like it was inside a popcorn popper and the bike had lots of vibes but the 1190 there is hardly any buffeting just a lot of wind noise, I have the touring screen on now and it is better but not by much, hopefully CeeBailey or others will solve this soon. I have custom moulded ear buds that I love for long freeway rides but even these were of little help. I may sell my BMW and use the 1190 for the long touring trips if the wind noise can be managed.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
Clink
Beer break???

Oddometer: 21
All these complaints seem bitchy to say the least. Vibrations, I've never thought of it, it's a dirt bike. Has anyone ever rode a dirt bike? I mean if you want a smooth ride or no noise, shouldn't you buy a Goldwing? The 1190 is a giant dirt bike that won't get blown around while on the highway commuting to the next patch of dirt. Am I not right in thinking this? KTM developed this bike to be an aggressive powerful bike geared for the dirt. What are people complaining about when it's not acting like a cruiser? And for KTM to only offer the R with street tires is ridiculous. I'm not trying to pick fights, just saying...
Clink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
mesopotamia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clink View Post
All these complaints seem bitchy to say the least. Vibrations, I've never thought of it, it's a dirt bike. Has anyone ever rode a dirt bike? I mean if you want a smooth ride or no noise, shouldn't you buy a Goldwing? The 1190 is a giant dirt bike that won't get blown around while on the highway commuting to the next patch of dirt. Am I not right in thinking this? KTM developed this bike to be an aggressive powerful bike geared for the dirt. What are people complaining about when it's not acting like a cruiser? And for KTM to only offer the R with street tires is ridiculous. I'm not trying to pick fights, just saying...

What in this thread makes you think that were are refering specifically and exclusively to the R version? I'm sure you know there is a non-R/standard version, and this standard version is market by ktm and sold as a road/touring bike with off-road capabilities, and not as a giant dirt bike with on-road capabilities.
mesopotamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
ktmwes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
It is much smoother than my 950 was but is not even close to my BMW K1200LT( I never expected it to be either). I have done a couple of long dual sport days now and find that at 75 to 80 on the freeway the vibes are not bad at all, it is the wind noise. The seat with a sheep skin on it makes a big improvement, no vibes felt there . On the 950 at freeway speeds my head felt like it was inside a popcorn popper and the bike had lots of vibes but the 1190 there is hardly any buffeting just a lot of wind noise, I have the touring screen on now and it is better but not by much, hopefully CeeBailey or others will solve this soon. I have custom moulded ear buds that I love for long freeway rides but even these were of little help. I may sell my BMW and use the 1190 for the long touring trips if the wind noise can be managed.
Might want to try this windshield out made huge difference in ride comfort and noise level

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/KTM1190prod.html

Not as finished or as classy as a Cee Baily but it works pretty good.

14 KTM 1190 Adventure
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
ktmwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #22
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmwes View Post
Might want to try this windshield out made huge difference in ride comfort and noise level

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/KTM1190prod.html

Not as finished or as classy as a Cee Baily but it works pretty good.
Really? Looks like it would be worse. Too tall and no gap to relieve pressure behind the screen. I find the genuine touring screen terrible for turbulence. Standard is best.

Getting back to the vibrations discussion - I've had my 1190 ADV for a week. Coming from a Tiger 800XC I don't find the KTM overly vibey and the XC was as smooth as salted butter.
gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #23
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Going to order a CalSci. Thanks for the info
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
bick51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
1190 Adventure Handlebar Anti-Vibration Inserts

RE: 1190 adv. ....excessive vibration in the handlebars. The handlebars on my new 1190R have quite a buzz at 4,000 rpm. I decided to try the FasstCo Anti-Vibration Bar Inserts (ABI-200, $59.99 + shipping from FasstCo). They seemed to provide some relief to tingling fingers. But the FasstCo inserts do not use the factory KTM end fittings. The rubber and plastic nut is supposed to expand when the supplied end bolt is tightened. However it just did not feel as secure as the factory wedge. So I asked myself – why not make my own brass anti-vibration insert, using the KTM factory end fittings?

My home-made insert started with measuring the original KTM Al wedge piece, which was 14mm (0.55”) OD. I went in search of brass bar stock of approximately that size. OnLineMetals.com offered a brass rod, C390, 0.5625” OD, 1 ft length for $9.37. Perfect. The order arrived in several days. I cut the bar in half to make two 6" pieces. They slid snuggly into the stock 1190R handlebar end for several inches, then hit a restriction – the KTM bar necks down inside. A 6” brass insert must be turned down slightly. (I used ~13mm OD for the inboard ~3” of its length.) The outboard end of the brass insert has to be counter-sunk, drilled and tapped for the factory M8x1.25 bolt, and then tapered to 45 degrees. I had access to a milling machine and band saw. However the tolerances are not critical in order for the wedge bolt to perform its function. With some patience, the shaping operations could be performed with a drill press, hack saw, and file. The resulting home-made inserts are shown below, along with the factory end fittings. The FasstCo insert is included for comparison. The home-made inserts have significantly more mass, and the factory wedge action and outer end fittings are retained. They seem to work (at least as good as the higher priced spread) for $10 and a day’s work in the shop.
Attached Images

bick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #25
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 59,259
mine came with a square front rim and others have had out of round tires I suspect these are the source of some reports.

I am getting a new wheel (warranty) I hope to get the bike back Sat or Mon

PB
Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Have you ridden a 990?

No one should buy a motorcycle without test riding it first. Especially when they are expensive. All motorcycles vibrate. I recommend you test ride the 1190 and then come up with your own conclusion whether you think it vibrates or not. It changes from person to person, it is more subjective than you can imagine. That's why the reviews differ from one another.
I purchased my 2014 1190 without a test ride, I read every single review and watched every single Youtube clip... I traded in my 2012 K1300s on the 1190.
Wherever small vibes are there this is characteristic of a solid V twin engine.
I love revving this engine its just intoxicating...
Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #27
Igotthis
So Close...

Oddometer: 47
Same here, no test ride, love the 1190R. The only thing I've noticed is the knee draggers getting pissed when I pass them. Can't wait to get some dirt tires on it and really use it correctly!
Igotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #28
dgardel
Orange contaminated

Oddometer: 55
No vibrations on mine

KTM 1190 Adventure S Gray
dgardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #29
ShawnS
KTM nOOb

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgardel View Post
No vibrations on mine

Hi there - I'm trying to figure out if the ktm damper system you have gives you higher bar rise option. The description on the ktm site says it has to height options but doesn't give the measurements. I have a standard 1190 and would like the bars a little higher. Hoping this part can kill 2 birds with one stone. :)
ShawnS is offline   Reply With Quote