ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #1786
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Thank you
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #1787
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Need Chain tool

Anyone have a chain riveter I could borrow/use.

I installed a new 530 chain and my riveter gets them almost to the low end of spec and then it slips. Should be a quick job, just mushroom them a little more. I can come to you or have a garage with beer here in greene.

thanks for the help.

PS. I have a tire changer that I'm happy to let you use.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #1788
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie76 View Post
Anyone have a chain riveter I could borrow/use.

I installed a new 530 chain and my riveter gets them almost to the low end of spec and then it slips. Should be a quick job, just mushroom them a little more. I can come to you or have a garage with beer here in greene.

thanks for the help.

PS. I have a tire changer that I'm happy to let you use.
I have a couple of different ones. You're welcome to use. I won one in an auction to benefit an injured GNCC rider (haven't used that one yet) and the other is Motion Pro (I think) Bought it for doing the chain on my 950. I should be around most of the day tomorrow. I'll PM you my cell #.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #1789
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Big Thanks to VABuckaroo.

He got me setup this morning. I even got in an afternoon ride.

I definitely owe you one.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #1790
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 869
Sunday ?

Enjoy the evening, Grimmy
grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #1791
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,161
What you talking about Willis?

Church?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #1792
Happy Gilmore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Talking

Boy it's been quiet around here.

For those of you who don't know me my name is Michael. I've been lurking here for several years but I haven't been very active save the occasional RTE.

I've recently purchased a small dual-sport and want to start exploring the country around Charlottesville. I'm an experienced street rider, but haven't done a ton of dirt and trails since I was a kid, so I'm not looking for anything too technical just yet. I live in the Earlysville area, but I'm certainly willing to travel to the surrounding areas.

There's got to be somebody out there that knows the back country around here that would love to ride with a newbie, and make sure he doesn't end up somewhere he is likely to get shot...

Even if somebody would like to give some advice on where to ride, (and where not to) I would be grateful. I'd love to hear about all the cool destinations here and in the valley that I can check out.

I'd love to hear from you guys!

07 BMW F800ST, 05 Yamaha XT-225, 09 Yamaha XT-250
Happy Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #1793
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Michael,
There are some great fire roads in Madison. I'd be happy to take a day and ride them with you. Some are pretty tame - 950/800 stuff. Some are much more fun with a single.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #1794
Happy Gilmore
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Michael,
There are some great fire roads in Madison. I'd be happy to take a day and ride them with you. Some are pretty tame - 950/800 stuff. Some are much more fun with a single.
VABUCKAROO68 That sounds like fun. I have a fairly open availability (not this Sun or Mon), at least for the next few weeks, let me know when you would like to go. Maybe we could get some interest in a group ride as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #1795
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Cool. Also have about 10-12miles of trails here at the ranch. A couple of guys off the VCHSS forum are riding here tomorrow. Some tight single track and flowing two track.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #1796
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,161
Hey VB - Would you mind an ADVer or two? If not, could you tell me where "the ranch" is. I'd like to get out today. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #1797
philthyphil
Nomad

Oddometer: 88
Happy and vabuckaroo,

I'm new to the area and a very average trail rider. I'd be in if you guys get together on a weekend.

WTB - RED 1ST GEN KLR GAS TANK
philthyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #1798
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Sounds fine Phil. Sorry SRG just got back in from riding. Let me know what days work for you and we can do some riding here. Its near Locust Dale. Most of the HS is tight technical stuff. 1st and 2nd gear for a "C" rider like me.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #1799
Happy Gilmore
Adventurer

Talking Skirting the Blue Ridge a teeny tiny ride report

Had some fun today. Took my teenage daughter out riding in the Blue Ridge. Had a great time. The weather was nearly perfect.

We rode out into the country around Mission Home and up Simmons Gap Rd (628) where it turns to dirt and winds it's way up to the BRP. As others probably already know, there is a chain about a mile and a half from the top. We hiked it on foot the rest of the way to the top and came out right here.

I was a little nervous leaving our bikes, helmets and jackets at the chain, but they were there waiting patiently for us on our return. At least I think they were patiently waiting, they didn't say anything otherwise. It was a nice walk from the chain, but I really wished we could have ridden the rest of the way to the top on the nice two track.

We wound our way back down and around the country roads for a while. She's riding really well considering she's only been riding on her own for a few months. We ended up going up to Sugar Hollow Reservoir and taking the bikes up the cobble stone trail as far as we legally could go. We even got dirty in some mud puddles along the way. We had to hike on foot a half mile or so to get to the swimming hole. Sorry I didn't get any pictures but there were a lot of kids there.

Notice the curly cue brake lever. Yeah she dropped it a few times. I have to keep replacing levers. By now I could have bought her a set up hand guards.

This picture is purely gratuitous. I saw my little bike sitting there with the light streaming through the trees. I just had to get a picture. It was kinda angelic like. I told my wife God wanted me to have a dual-sport. (looking over shoulder for lightening bolt)

Anyway it was a great day with my daughter, away from all the other distractions of life. We even had a nice late lunch at Crozet Pizza on the way home.

I can't wait to do it again!

Happy Gilmore screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 06:01 PM Reason: Broken Link
Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #1800
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 512
Nice to see you both out riding!!! Great pics!!!
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote