Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #46
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
I used to have one of the Shark helmets with a drop down sun visor. It was the best helmet I've ever owned, just due to that one little feature.

If I didn't hate glasses and the feeling of something on the bridge of my nose, I probably would wear sunglasses with the clear visor. Its a lot more modular and convenient system, than just a tinted visor.

However I run tinted visors all the time. Bright sun and bright reflections on the road, strain my eyes quite a bit, and I find myself squinting and tiring out faster with a clear visor on a sunny day.

I do not carry a clear visor with me. Darkened visors are still manageable in the evening / night. Not ideal, but if you are in an urban environment, there is plenty of light on the road to let you see what is going on. I did once had to travel two hours on a country road with a dark visor and even that wasn't too bad. I wouldn't want to do it again, but if you are caught out, its doable.

If its a constant thing where you need dark visor in the morning/day, and then you come back on a dark road at night, than I would opt out for a clear visor with sunglasses, rather than to carry an extra piece of plastic with me.

Best of course is the helmet with an inner dark visor that you can pop down/up whenever you need it.

That is one of the reasons I have started wearing a dual sport helmet most all the time over a regular street helmet. The visor lets me tip my head a bit to block the sun. Even with extremely dark tint sunglasses there are those times when the sun is just right on the horizon to deal with it without the visor (bill as you might call it). Seems like all those newer convertible helmets offer smaller visors for them. Totally functional.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #47
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
you're helmet

You are? Honestly, you're a helmet?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #48
SlowPony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I've got a helmet with a drop-down visor and I love it. It's the most hassle-free way I've found. I would get prescription sunglasses - having a built-in visor doesn't really help when I'm not on the bike - but I have a terrible tendency to break/lose things like that. If my visor wasn't attached to my helmet I'd probably lose that too....
SlowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #49
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
I ride almost all the time with the darkest tint that Shoei offers. The only time I feel the need to swap back to the clear is for actual night riding.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #50
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,869
Get a lid with an internal sun shield. Better than an egg and bacon butty, with brown sauce and dockers doorstep bread.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #51
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by combustor777 View Post
As to the shield storage problem for day/night...Check your riding jacket. Several that I have owned (joe rocket comes to mind) have an internal zippered shield sleeve built in around the left or right waist (3 or 9 oclock position) and the curve of the shield fits into the contour of the jacket/body perfectly! Great for those days when you don't want/need tank bag or saddle bags and have the day/night transitional riding.

edit: on one they were even kind enough to label it

Attachment 321163
Shit, I've been wearing this JR jacket for years and didn't know that was what that pocket was for...and mine's labeled just like yours. Thanks. I'm gonna go buy a tinted visor now.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #52
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The internal drop-down shades aren't normally at the same quality of a regualr pair of sunglasses. Living in south Florida, all many of the drop-downs seem to do is tint the bright sun and surroundings without actually helping prevent blinding me, and without reflecting enough of the different rays.

Garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
lmao many others have a much different experience so you must be buying either defective helmets or cheapo helmets or simply never thought of buying a helmet with an internal shade so you bash them online lol.
I had an HJC with internal visor. Hated it, and not just because the mechanism (on top of the shell) leaked when it rained... me living in Western Oregon and all.

Just bought a Shoei Neotec- which ought to meet the "high quality" checkbox, yeah? Yep, still hate internal visors, for pretty much the reasons Mambo Dave mentions- the optical quality is meh, it's not dark enough to help (on it's own) so I have to wear sunglasses anyway, plus it's another layer to collect crud and have to be cleaned- and it's hard to clean.

I'd rather have a tinted visor and switch, but Shoei isn't goign to make a tinted visor for that helmet because it has the internal sunshield. Meh.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #53
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUXGS View Post
A good compromise to carrying 2 shields is a photochromatic shield that works like eyeglasses & changes to tinted in the sun and clear when it's not bright out. There's one out there that fits several Bell helmets-- Vortex, Star, RS1. Works great & I don't have to schlep around a spare shield. Had the helmet 1st & then picked up the shield.

May be others out there, but that's what I've seen.
+1 on the photochromatic shields. I have one for my Bell RS1. Best $120 I have ever spent.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #54
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
I'll second the DS lid with dark shield for day and goggles for night, worked really well and you don't have to baby the goggles nearly as much as you do a shield.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #55
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I had an HJC with internal visor. Hated it, and not just because the mechanism (on top of the shell) leaked when it rained... me living in Western Oregon and all.

Just bought a Shoei Neotec- which ought to meet the "high quality" checkbox, yeah? Yep, still hate internal visors, for pretty much the reasons Mambo Dave mentions- the optical quality is meh, it's not dark enough to help (on it's own) so I have to wear sunglasses anyway, plus it's another layer to collect crud and have to be cleaned- and it's hard to clean.

I'd rather have a tinted visor and switch, but Shoei isn't goign to make a tinted visor for that helmet because it has the internal sunshield. Meh.
Mine works great and does not leak, in fact none of mine with internal visors leak. LOVE the internal visor, beats the hell out of packing and swapping out 2 visors every time the sun gets in my eyes.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #56
cellige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but I have a speed tint in my Shoei RF1100 and it is a perfect solution. Cheap, easy to use and totally effective. Just like the visor in a car, only difference is you slightly tilt your head down.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ity-speed-tint
cellige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #57
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 637
I love my tinted visor....but for a different reason.......anonymity. There are times when I pull into a gas station and just want to gas and leave. I leave the helmet on, visor down...gas and go. No eye contact, no problem
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #58
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
I'm late to the discussion, too lazy to read this whole thread and have nothing to contribute to the OP as I have never used a tinted shield, but I just wanted to mention that tinted shields are illegal in some places like Michigan.

The odds of getting pulled over are low, but I figure an educated populous right?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #59
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
I'm late to the discussion, too lazy to read this whole thread and have nothing to contribute to the OP as I have never used a tinted shield, but I just wanted to mention that tinted shields are illegal in some places like Michigan.

The odds of getting pulled over are low, but I figure an educated populous right?
Interesting. Generally, vehicle equipment legal in the state of registration / title is given a pass in another state where it would otherwise be illegal. Wonder how that works with riding gear.

Is Michigan a helmet law state? Would I be legal without a helmet, but not legal with a helmet that has a tinted visor? What if I leave the visor open?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #60
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Well I was caught today after a sunset, in a thunderstorm, in my tinted visor... It SUCKED! No more tinted visors for commuting. I'm switching to clear with sunglasses.

I'll still use tinted for practice Gymkhana sessions, when I'm an entire day in the sun on a bright parking lot, but no more for commuting.