ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #691
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
My headset has come loose for the fifth time now. First three times I took it too the dealer, as I figured they should be aware of it, and they should figure it out eventually. I was wrong. Forth time it came loose I did it myself...loosened the top fork bolts and the top triple clamp nut then tried to figure out how to tighten the wierd headset nut....and I snapped the wee tool I found in the standard tool kit that sort of fit! How are you guys torquing this thing down...what tool are you using? Anyone have a picture of the tool?
http://www.af1racing.com/store/scrip...?idproduct=919

I'm no good at pictures, but this is similar to what I used. These used to be common in factory tool kits. I used the one from my Ural tool kit.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #692
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
http://www.af1racing.com/store/scrip...?idproduct=919

I'm no good at pictures, but this is similar to what I used. These used to be common in factory tool kits. I used the one from my Ural tool kit.

Ahh...I tried a ring spanner, but had a hard time getting it to fit correctly, and was worried it would gouge the soft alu ring nut! thanks for that!
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #693
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Ahh...I tried a ring spanner, but had a hard time getting it to fit correctly, and was worried it would gouge the soft alu ring nut! thanks for that!
I cranked it down tight! Better would have been to take it apart and put some loctite in there. That will be next time if it comes loose again.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #694
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
My headset has come loose for the fifth time now. First three times I took it too the dealer, as I figured they should be aware of it, and they should figure it out eventually. I was wrong. Forth time it came loose I did it myself...loosened the top fork bolts and the top triple clamp nut then tried to figure out how to tighten the wierd headset nut....and I snapped the wee tool I found in the standard tool kit that sort of fit! How are you guys torquing this thing down...what tool are you using? Anyone have a picture of the tool?
There are plenty of posts on this.

Dealers are thread locking the nut and it works....shyte KTM should share this information globally.....then more than HALF the crap they having can be sorted quick and we can enjoy the bikes not spend sooo much time at their workshops.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #695
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
There are plenty of posts on this.

Dealers are thread locking the nut and it works....shyte KTM should share this information globally.....then more than HALF the crap they having can be sorted quick and we can enjoy the bikes not spend sooo much time at their workshops.
Actually I heard BMW has this problem all sorted out, you may want to sell the 1190 and consider buying one.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #696
Leboost
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Probs?

Have a MY14 so far with 5000+ km; ambient air sensor failure,(snapped 'cause of the tie wrap was too tight holding it at the ABS sensor & brake hose junction below cowl @ horn under plate support) triple 3 clamp bearing loosening (fixed with higer torque being applied twice), spark plug gasket o ring head gasket sprayin' oil through the weep hole below the SAS plate of the rear cylinder (pending fixin')...Minor to the Whoot factor it provides...
Leboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #697
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,431
Pissed 4000 miles and it has all gone to hell!!!

My High beam switch will not stay on! I changed the DRL position to on and was sitting in front of a window and tried the Switch and if push it forward it goes back to low and same if I pull it in. This and the Speedometer being off by 8 mph is enough for me to get online and whine!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #698
Taka JPN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
2013 Adv R, 4300km, 4 months riding
During highway 4 hours riding under heavy rain, both winkers stopped working
And the message showed up "General Failure"
I did nothing for 1 week and brought it to my dealer for fixing, and on the way to there
It suddenly came back.

My dealers computer did not find any error log and no cause for this error found.
I will keep riding until second same problem happen.
Taka JPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #699
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
My High beam switch will not stay on! I changed the DRL position to on and was sitting in front of a window and tried the Switch and if push it forward it goes back to low and same if I pull it in. This and the Speedometer being off by 8 mph is enough for me to get online and whine!

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #700
1190ADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
When tightening the loosening steering head nut, is there a specific torque you are trying to achieve? The best I could find in the manual was 8.4 Ft lbs, not sure if I'm looking at the correct thing or not. I tightened mine the other day but don't think I got it tight enough, so I wanted to recheck it and put some thread locker on.
1190ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #701
rickescazu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison View Post
thanks..I am not going to risk it!!

going to get the dealer to pay for it though!!!
How did that work out getting them to pay the filter change?
rickescazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #702
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
High beam switch is a common problem.
Dealer needs to replace the switch.
I just don't drive at night.
IBA#44072
93 Sportster Trike
06 HP2E (4-sale)
10 RoadGlide 120R
14 KTM 1190 Adv.
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #703
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taka JPN View Post
2013 Adv R, 4300km, 4 months riding
During highway 4 hours riding under heavy rain, both winkers stopped working
And the message showed up "General Failure"
I did nothing for 1 week and brought it to my dealer for fixing, and on the way to there
It suddenly came back.

My dealers computer did not find any error log and no cause for this error found.
I will keep riding until second same problem happen.
My MTC/ABS failed,AT the ktm dealer, did make for some fun wheelies and back end sliding into the corners...brought back my racing days...but no fault logged so they did nothing and told me no problem.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #704
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
My MTC/ABS failed,AT the ktm dealer, did make for some fun wheelies and back end sliding into the corners...brought back my racing days...but no fault logged so they did nothing and told me no problem.
I can understand why the dealer told you no problems... The symptoms you describe above have absolutely nothing to do with either one of those systems.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #705
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer

Powerpart heated seat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
I can understand why the dealer told you no problems... The symptoms you describe above have absolutely nothing to do with either one of those systems.

Good one.

Get my first chance to ride the 1190 after it was in for warranty claims yet again 4wks ago, today put the new battery ktm fitted on charge as the bike turns so slow still and I noticed, both my seat tabs that hook into the tank are torn almost broken off....looking at it I see why, yet another crap design.

Seems that the seat 'floats' on these tabs and when you sit it spreads our the seat thus pulling on the tabs...I'm only 92kg so wtf...

Put in a claim with KTM so we will see.

(Update - KTM will replace the seat even thou it's out of the 6month warranty period for "PowerParts"...yet I've done around 3000km on that seat so....it's being replaced this week.)

Tossed the KTMS keys and back to work I go again, bike can stand a few more weeks till KTM fix their shyte.....yet again.

Bluesilver screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 03:25 AM