Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #826
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,611
Like I said, you really want change? Reform the bodies that govern this stuff.

Want better drivers? Campaign for better driver training/stiffer testing. Heck, MI has gone to 24 hours of theory and minimum 6 hours of one-on-one in-car instruction for just a Level 1 license. And only with a licensed instructor. Practically freaking Germany. Thank the FSM!

In this case, what is not particularly clear to everyone is that with NHTSA and BMW unable to find a clear failure mode and mitigation strategy, there is no path to a recall. The public is better served by being able to sue BMW in the event of damages, a path that would basically disappear if a recall was forced through. NHTSA is holding BMW's feet to the fire by exposing them to lawsuits. This puts the onus on BMW to find out why this failure continues to occur. Until they can do so, they are going to be subject to lawsuits.

If you don't like how the process works, go argue with NHTSA or your local legislator who can change it.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #827
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
An easier fix

If you ever experience "unintended acceleration" in a car, there is a fail safe method of dealing with it ~ assuming that you don't forget or just simply panic (both easy to do under those circumstances).

The fail safe is to just put the car in neutral (automatic) or push in the clutch (manual). This will keep the power steering operating correctly and prevent the need to stomp on the brake pedal to over come the engine. Keying the engine off would work, but then you'd lose power steering and brake boost plus you risk turning the key off too far and locking the steering wheel. Once you've come to a stop then shut the engine off ~ if it hasn't already blown...

BUT, if the front wheel of your G650 falls off the only thing that you can hope for is a soft and gentle "unintended stop".

zig06 screwed with this post 07-03-2014 at 08:50 AM
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #828
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Many drivers do not realize that they must muscle the steering when the power steering stops, and that they may need to put two feet on the brake pedal when the power brakes quit. They weren't taught this, but they should be. They aren't a dumbass, they're untrained. And, the air bags don't deploy when the car crashes after the ignition switches itself off.
It does not matter if they have been " Trained " or not. If you need to stop the car, and pressing the brakes does not have the normal effect, any person with any intelligence at all is going to press harder, or as hard as they can... Same with steering, I don't care what the failure is, if I need to turn the wheel, and it is stiffer than normal, I am going to try to turn it harder. Only a total dumbass would just give up if they could not turn the wheel with their fingertips as normal.

I was test driving a car once, and the accelerator stuck to the floor. I just turned the key off and stopped. I was never " Trained " in this, I am just not a dumbass that would crash a car over a small unexpected failure.

The people that crashed the cars when the ignition got turned off = Dumbasses, training or not...

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #829
DrPepperz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
soooo .. what was the final solution?
sorry have not read this massive thread ..

agreed so much arguments filled too many pages, what was the result, new bike? compensation for injuries? did they take care of you at all or just try to lay all the blame on you?
DrPepperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #830
R0CKETMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
soooo .. what was the final solution?
sorry have not read this massive thread ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepperz View Post
agreed so much arguments filled too many pages, what was the result, new bike? compensation for injuries? did they take care of you at all or just try to lay all the blame on you?
agreed

What was the outcome?... I've actually considered picking up a G650

Ducati Multistrada 1200s Pikes Peak
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #831
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
For the record there is only 1 instance of failure in 2011 or later model, it is this one, AntiqueWidow claimed insurance, replaced machine with another make/model and moved on with her life, what action the insurance Co took, if any, is unknown, it is up to them to take action. The BMW Dealer was informed at the time

We also now know these 2011+ forks are not made by showa, we do not know which manufacturer produces them for BMW