ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #631
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
I'm really grateful for the info all the guys from SA posted about the 1190, and for the private correspondence. Because of your help and advice, I was able to buy the 1190 "eyes open" and take proactive action about issues myself so that "touch wood" there have been no serious problems so far.

There's other inmates who are rude, offensive and intolerant. You need to chill out or butt out of these threads. There's no reason for you to even read the threads about the 1190 because you know it all already. You are the ones who are causing damage to the credibility of KTM by the pointed remarks you make to other owners.

The forum admins do not tolerate abuse on ADVrider, and inmates on the receiving end can just click the "report abuse" icon to get you banned.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #632
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 773
RobZorba, really, you seem to take yourself too seriously. It's the internet.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #633
2wdrift OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
RobZorba, really, you seem to take yourself too seriously. It's the internet.
To a certain degree I agree that it shouldn't be taken too seriously, but the internet is the greatest source of info and knowledge in human history. Mixed in with lots of crap and personal opinions of course.
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #634
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by robzorba View Post
i'm really grateful for the info all the guys from sa posted about the 1190, and for the private correspondence. Because of your help and advice, i was able to buy the 1190 "eyes open" and take proactive action about issues myself so that "touch wood" there have been no serious problems so far.

There's other inmates who are rude, offensive and intolerant. You need to chill out or butt out of these threads. There's no reason for you to even read the threads about the 1190 because you know it all already. You are the ones who are causing damage to the credibility of ktm by the pointed remarks you make to other owners.

The forum admins do not tolerate abuse on advrider, and inmates on the receiving end can just click the "report abuse" icon to get you banned.

+1
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #635
KENMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
+1
+10
I'm sick of reading the Ktm bashing over and over! We all know that this bike has a few problems, and I think we have found a fix for just about all of them. I few bad for the first guys that had to be guinea pigs, but without those brave people we would not know of the issues. Let's face it, have you ever seen a newly developed vehicle without some kind of flaws? Very rare! So let's inform people about the issues, fix them if Ktm will not and move on and enjoy this machine.
KENMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #636
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
Robzorba, are you serious? So we can report the abuse of all the KTM whiners on here as well?
I really hope ol Bluesilver gets his new BMW, that will move 90% of the whining over to the BMW forum.
There is enough info out there to inform people about the problems without all the constant repetition and
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #637
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,041
Blue, Don't know if you have something like this in SA, in the US we have something called a "Lemon Law" . If you can show an ongoing issue(s) with a new vehicle. You can get a total refund from the manufacturer.
Maybe satisfaction for you. I'm going riding on mine, no issues.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #638
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesilver View Post
A vehicle means NOTHING without dealer support and after sale service...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #639
Ouroboros
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Just did a check of my air box after installation of my Unifilter. Rode 200+ miles of dusty dirt roads. Clean as can be. Second time to service the air box and it took hardly any time. Way under an hour and that included beer breaks. The Unifilter takes care of any issues as far as I'm concerned. As far as power loss is concerned it is a non issue in the dirt.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #640
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
When it comes to service levels and customer followup there's no debate in my book. Most 1190 issues can be dealt with. But KTM's willingness to recognize problems and deal with them varies from country to country on the international scene.

Compared to BMW followup by service recalls this is directly comparable. Both my F650GS (sold) and F800GS have been rock solid and well updated by BMW service recalls - no issues whatsoever - and the F800GS airbox is not unlike the 1190 series ditto, with snorkels etc.

The airbox issue is a simple Unifilter fix. Sooner or later there will be complete aftermarket replacements available. Fear not - we can even expect carburetor kits further downstream, me guess
Head bearings, sidestand, centerstand and heat from rear cylinder also fixable by dealer and workshop upgrades within warranty.

The different and often lacking ability from certain international dealerships to recognize initial technical flaws and proactively upgrade the 1190 series is a more serious issue. This can make or break customer confidence and trust.

This varies from country to country and can damage KTM reputation and limit sales and resale potensiale of the 1190 series - which by all accounts is THE biggest marketing effort from KTM in Mattighofen ever in its history.
From what I've seen myself - certain Norwegian KTM dealerships seem to be stuck in the failed belief that they can deal with the 1190 customers like they've done all years with more maintenance intensive and less warranty-exposed enduro- and MX bikes.

The guinea pigs having dust ingestion damaged engines simply deserve a new engine - without debate from ignorant KTM dealers and workshops. The design flaw is self-explanatory. Engine heat warps the darn thing so dust damages engine internals. Step forward and admit, KTM.

I understand completely the SA customer frustration. Once you feel the local KTM dealership trying to evade the true problems and flee their customer followup it's basically game over for trusting that KTM dealership chain.

You simply cannot trust that engine to survive long-term and gnawing suspicions start to intervene. "How long will this thing last and will warranty followup be good enough if dust ingestion trouble starts after more than two years?" "What about resale value?"
I've seen that myself here in Norway. Two KTM workshops managed to ruin the cyl head of my 690RFR by stripping the threads of the plug hole - blaming each other and making me pay for a new head. One of these dealers is Norway's biggest KTM dealer and flatly denied having done it - although they managed to panick for 6 hours straight struggling to make the engine run stably and not stop at intersections.....go figure. Their "solution" was to force the plug halfway down.

Trusting such notorious liars and responsibility evading creatures is a big issue for me and certain other Norwegians. They obviously are more used to rough-and-tough enduro- and MX-bikers chucking their maintenance-intensive and less warrantied dirtbikes in and out of their competition vans, doing their own maintenance within the less demanding customer base of track and enduro dirtbikers,

There's no way KTM can get away with 2013 and 2014 1190's not having their filterbox issues fixed for free by the relevant KTM dealers.

I may be due for an 1190 R in 2016. I might just as well buy a Unifilter kit and hang on the wall as motivational tool

Meanwhile - South African 1190 customers need to be taken more seriously by KTM Mattighofen and their SA reps. Or simply have that KTM branch refurbished by more service oriented people.

Chucking flawed airbox dust-related engine problems over to the customers wallet is too downright stupid to be accepted anywhere in the world.
It seems obvious that certain international KTM dealerships are not up to the task of handling a different customer base than their ordinary rough dirtbike regime. They should never be qualified to sell or deal with the more technically complex 1190 series in the first place.

The 1190 series requires a totally different customer approach and better qualified workshops than archetypical dirtbikes.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 07-04-2014 at 06:32 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #641
Koolranch
NCADVR

This thread is so far off topic. If you not going to add specific airbox issues or suggested fixes don't bother posting. For all the unsatisfied 1190 owners please start your own thread.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #642
Koolranch
NCADVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Just did a check of my air box after installation of my Unifilter. Rode 200+ miles of dusty dirt roads. Clean as can be. Second time to service the air box and it took hardly any time. Way under an hour and that included beer breaks. The Unifilter takes care of any issues as far as I'm concerned. As far as power loss is concerned it is a non issue in the dirt.

Glad to hear this. I'm taking my air box back apart at my next service.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #643
zbob
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Where are you guy's buying the unifilter from in the U.S. ?
zbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #644
Ouroboros
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbob View Post
Ordered mine from Australia. No one in USA had one in stock.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #645
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbob View Post
http://www.powercellperformance.com/...turer-2013-14/
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote