Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
TheRog OP
Dirtylittle funhaver

Oddometer: 75
Help picking my next perfect bike

I'm sold on the KTM brand after getting a real nice 07 990 adv.s
This was instead of a R1200(lb) GS adv.
The 990 is not perfect, but such is life- "close enough to perfect, for me".
So I weighed it the other day full of gas and Holly f-bombs, 540lb. .
It's to tall for me, it has a snatchy throttle, It tries to fall on me off road, and I love it.
So the weight has me longing for my lighter KLR650. But I sold the last one I had because it was "old, slow, and complacent". and uninspiring.
I have been very close to buying the 500 exc. With it I can sell my kx500 2 wheeled missile.
But then the 690r is suddenly on the radar.
Which bike would you rather take on a two day camping trip, or an all day enduro ride 50/50 pavement dirt.
I sold 5 klr's over the years cause they are too slow. sold a drz-s twice 'cause its to slow. Don't ride the kx500 much 'cause it has no electric start and I have old guy knee's and i,m a panzy. Ride the crap out of my kdx220 cause its a blast, if not a little slow.
I've been a Jeep guy all my life, so the 990 or any enduro is the perfect match. But which one. the 990 is my first ktm, but not the last.
I'm hunting for suggestions from owners or anyone with solid advice on the 2 bikes, likes, dislikes, or suggestions on other models even, but these two seem like the best fit, and I have read the specks, and they both look great.
My wish list. 6 gal. ish of fuel cap or great fuel economy.(the last klr I had, a 06, had 6 gal. fuel cap, and got 55mpg hwy on lots of tankfulls, yet was uninspiring, but had 300 mile range.
ability to ride paved for 100 miles.
low maintenance
I don't want to be a development rider, so I'm reluctant to spend 10 grand on a bike that needs a lot of "sorting out". Not that I won't, i'm just reluctant.
so help please and thank you
TheRog is offline   Reply With Quote