Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #436
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 995
Not getting Panniers but my top case is on backorder, so they sent me this.
Very easy install.
1. Bolts from OEM pannier mount fit the rear rack holes
2. cut up an old inner to to isolate crate from rack
3. fender washers $2.59
4. will cover exposed bolt holes to keep clean

Old 07-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #437
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Not getting Panniers but my top case is on backorder, so they sent me this.
Very easy install.
1. Bolts from OEM pannier mount fit the rear rack holes
2. cut up an old inner to to isolate crate from rack
3. fender washers $2.59
4. will cover exposed bolt holes to keep clean

Do you happen to also own a KLR?

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #438
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 904

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #439
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
do you happen to also own a klr?
rofl
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #440
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 995
I didn't invent the milk crate. I made it butter!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #441
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
I'm now thinking of going with hard cases. I really wanted large soft bags that didn't require frames but my choices were rather limited to:
1- Enduristan - very good looking product
2- bags connection dakar panniers (although they use a small frame)
3- giant loop syskiou (great looking and tons of capacity but so expensive here in canada)

So if I am going to go with hard cases, I'm leaning toward the Givi Trekker aluminum cases. Does anyone here already have these?

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #442
Kevy511
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
got my monsoons !!!

I think they fit great on this bike with no racks. There is contact with the right bag and the exhaust mount but I donít think itís an issue. I put some gorilla tape on the bottom of that bag where contact is made because it probably will cause some ware eventually. I will also have to put some clear protective film on the rear side panels of the bike to protect the finish because the bags do make contact there as well. I donít think the bag will swing inside the wheel well as some has cautioned. If you look at the photos the exhaust mount will prevent the right bag from swinging in and on the left side the mount for the OEM side cases keeps it form moving in side. I took a test run to the grocery store and filled up both bags (approximately 8 lbs. in each bag- one photo shows the added weight). There is some sagging as you would expect but they seems just fine. I trying a new way to show photos because there are limitations with direct posting as you all know...hope it works..

I originally was only going to use these bags for overnight and longer trips. But they look so good on the bike I may just keep them on most of the time.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...GM&usp=sharing
Kevy511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #443
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevy511 View Post
I think they fit great on this bike with no racks. There is contact with the right bag and the exhaust mount but I donít think itís an issue. I put some gorilla tape on the bottom of that bag where contact is made because it probably will cause some ware eventually. I will also have to put some clear protective film on the rear side panels of the bike to protect the finish because the bags do make contact there as well. I donít think the bag will swing inside the wheel well as some has cautioned. If you look at the photos the exhaust mount will prevent the right bag from swinging in and on the left side the mount for the OEM side cases keeps it form moving in side. I took a test run to the grocery store and filled up both bags (approximately 8 lbs. in each bag- one photo shows the added weight). There is some sagging as you would expect but they seems just fine. I trying a new way to show photos because there are limitations with direct posting as you all know...hope it works..

I originally was only going to use these bags for overnight and longer trips. But they look so good on the bike I may just keep them on most of the time.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...GM&usp=sharing
I second all of this. I too put some gorilla tape on the bottom of the right bag to prevent rubbing. They take look great. I've had mine for a few weeks, loaded them a few times. No complaints here!
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #444
madatter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
After reading a zillion posts and looking for hours on net on where to buy things I settled with the KTM touring cases....dealer gave me a good deal on the cases and soft bags inside and could have them in a couple days.
I like the way they mount and are removed quickly....no extra weight or metal hanging anywhere.
Dislikes....
Let's start with the locking mechanism.
The whole procedure to key them properly is extremely painful and tedious....I'd have been happy with them coming keyed and carrying the extra key.
Once they are keyed properly the locking mechanism is not exactly smooth and required pushing here and there while turning or jiggling the key.
At this point I was extremely disapointed in them and ready to shove them up KTMs ass
Then I read on here to use silicone lube on key points of locking mechanism and WD40 on the lock itself ....
It made a huge difference on the operation of the whole thing and made them usable....almost hassle free.
I ok with them now and should be more than adequate for my travels...
madatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #445
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 144
Finally got the MM's fitted after a few weeks development. Total width with my 38L panniers is just under 40". MM do 31L, 38L, and 45L. The 45's would be huge! This is the only purely balanced equal size hard luggage system for the 1190 on the market. The panniers have no equal in terms of build quality, security, water tightness but that's just my experience and opinion!

Carbon fibre heat shield currently being developed to cover link pipes for Scorpion exhaust.

gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #446
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,482
Metal Mule.....wow...

When I joined this forum a number of years ago, I found the information and opinions to be very helpful...In that light, as others read through this thread, I have to say those Metal Mules are the most dangerous, heavy, poorly engineered panniers I have ever seen.

Sorry to be negative but damn....40lbs empty before the racks, Sharp leg breaking/spine snapping corners everywhere, exposed hinges from some sort of kitchen cabinet?.....

wow....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #447
gunshot72
Knee down complete

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Metal Mule.....wow...

When I joined this forum a number of years ago, I found the information and opinions to be very helpful...In that light, as others read through this thread, I have to say those Metal Mules are the most dangerous, heavy, poorly engineered panniers I have ever seen.

Sorry to be negative but damn....40lbs empty before the racks, Sharp leg breaking/spine snapping corners everywhere, exposed hinges from some sort of kitchen cabinet?.....

wow....
Clearly you know nothing about engineering and how can you judge anything at all by just looking at them? And what's this 40lbs bullshit? They are aircraft grade aluminium and weigh less than 6 kgs each. That's 13lbs and I'd like to see anything else take this abuse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNiku_2rac

Furthermore they are IP66 rated the hinge you talk about is SS and totally waterproof. Lifetime Warranty standard!

gunshot72 screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 03:20 PM
gunshot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #448
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshot72 View Post
Clearly you know nothing about engineering and how can you judge anything at all by just looking at them? And what's this 40lbs bullshit? They are aircraft grade aluminium and weigh less than 6 kgs each. That's 13lbs and I'd like to see anything else take this abuse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNiku_2rac

Furthermore they are IP66 rated the hinge you talk about is SS and totally waterproof. Lifetime Warranty standard!
hi....having a good day?

40lb bullshit = 13lbs each....3 boxes....3x13= 39lbs...sorry that I rounded up that last pound...

IP66 rated = a very nice kitchen cabinet hinge....

Like I said....just a counter-opinion. I have seen too many injuries from these type of boxes....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #449
davehg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I just think they look very err....industrial
davehg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #450
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Why I went with Soft Luggage

Not a unique experience I'm sure, nor a revelation to most of you, but as I've learned from the collective, let me add my grain of salt. I had hard cases on my 990 for 3 years (45k km) with no issue. Then, last year, on two occasions I had to put a foot down as the rear end slid out on me on gravel. The back of my leg got jammed between the box and the road. No real harm in either incident (thanks SIDI) but both were close calls that could have gone either way. So when it came time to getting bags this time, I totally ruled out hard cases, any hard case. I settled on the Rockey Mountain bags. I verified that they hold everything I need to be on the road for 4 weeks (well, plus a 10l tail bag for tools and stuff). Ya, they work best (only?) with a luggage rack, and they were near impossible to get in Canada, but I feel safer having them. YMMV
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote