ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 580
Did you pull the calibers and remove the pads? Could be mud packed around the pads preventing them from moving properly. I know on my mud ride the calipers were packed solid.

ben
Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #17
TheRog
Dirtylittle funhaver

Oddometer: 75
cleaning brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
The last ride I took was a mudfest, and it left some sort of residue on my front brakes that make them almost useless: it's like they're soaking wet all the time.

What would clean rotors & pads, and restore them to their pre-mud effectiveness? Solvent? ScotchBrite?

i'd post a photo, but I won't see the bike until Thursday.
I have never heard of mud doing that , but brake cleaner, and sand paper works wonders
I can't beleive the mud didn't rip the front fender off your bike. I get it now. WE don't have mud like that on the left coast.
TheRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
I just use a wire brush on the pads.
Nope, don't use a wire brush. It will remove the soft material and leave the metal particles (on the semi-metalic pads).

Nope, don't use fine scotchbrite on the disks, you need a rougher surface. A highly polished surface won't coat with material and it will squeal.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #19
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Update

Apparently, this whole mess was a confluence of completely disparate events happening coincidentally: the right side (in the direction of travel) spacer is just undersized enough to allow a portion of that brake caliper to rub on the rotor & leave a deposit of aluminum.

The shitty braking action was the front brakes mysteriously reverting to their lousy performance of 3 years ago: pump them 4-6 times before they work. WTF??

As near as I can tell, neither had anything to do with the other, or mud, or anything else-- it was all just one big fun coincidence.

A new right-side spacer is on order.

2 motorcycles down with shit front brakes. The restoration of my faith rests on 4LS & Benelli.

Cocksuckers.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #20
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Apparently, this whole mess was a confluence of completely disparate events happening coincidentally: the right side (in the direction of travel) spacer is just undersized enough to allow a portion of that brake caliper to rub on the rotor & leave a deposit of aluminum.

The shitty braking action was the front brakes mysteriously reverting to their lousy performance of 3 years ago: pump them 4-6 times before they work. WTF??

As near as I can tell, neither had anything to do with the other, or mud, or anything else-- it was all just one big fun coincidence.

A new right-side spacer is on order.

2 motorcycles down with shit front brakes. The restoration of my faith rests on 4LS & Benelli.

Cocksuckers.
Or shitty mechanics.

Bet you didn't have the front wheel installed correctly and it has nothing to do with the spacer. Review how to align the forks.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #21
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Or shitty mechanics.

Bet you didn't have the front wheel installed correctly and it has nothing to do with the spacer. Review how to align the forks.
Gee...thanks.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote