User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #31
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,704
I replaced my TPS with a used unit.

The bike is definitely rideable, but there is a snatch at openings from idle, that was not there, at the last days of the older, now faulty TPS sensor. There is also an occasional drop of idle at 1100rpm for a short time. I never have the motor stall.
I want to emphasize the voltage is adjusted at 0.67Volts at idle, to get it running properly. I have installed ITG foam filter and the bike is 2006 European. Another friend that also installed CPR foam filter has TPS adjusted to 0.72Volts on a 2009 - 115hp Adv bike.
I believe foam filters need higher voltage at TPS.
I also believe TPS should be adjusted accordingly on each motorbike, starting with the recommended settings, but not sticking to them too meticulously.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 11:13 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #32
dgjackson40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Thanks

Thanks Gefr. I have sent you a PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #33
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 270
Eh? TPS Troubles

I have had some problems with the bike rev's up to 3000rpm and 4000rpm .

The 990 is a 2007 black ABs model @ 55,000kms , the problem started about 12 months ago with the bike not wanting to run smoothly .

Then about 5 months ago the bikes rev's went up to 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm while riding along and I had No control of this .

Last week we set of for a 9 day ride and had just had some cutting out of the engine without any reason .

I replaced the fuel pump that I got from Gefr and had no problems from then .

We started the ride and then the rev's started going up to 4000 rpm and staying there , I contacted a friend about the F1 light that was sensing the 6 flashes that is the TPS problem .

I got the bike to the KTM dealer to change the TPS over .

When they received the TPS it was worked out that it was the other TPS that they rarely have any problems with , and it is not the Main TPS .

KTM and the dealer are trying to get some information from the Throttle body suppliers so that they can reset the values on the TPS .

There is also the other possible of the clutch switch or the main TPS giving a fault in the feed back to the other TPS that is causing the high rev fault .

The only other way to repair this problem is to replace the Throttle body as they don't sell the other TPS as a separate item .

Any one got any help for me , or has any one fitted the 2011 TPS on to the 2007 model as they have different ECU.

Thanks Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 AM   #34
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Don't go with too many variables, you'll end up replacing unnecessary parts. check the TB's wiring connections. take these off and put them back on with electric contact cleaner.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #35
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
If you buy a complete S/H throttle body assembly off ebay like myself and Gusto did, I will guarantee that it will be cheaper than trying to find the real cause especially if you are paying a mechanic to do the work. And you will be riding your bike instead of tearing your hair out.

The 2011s sort of have a different ECU but they are really the same. They use an immobiliser but if you order a new ECU for your 07 you will get the latest ECU part no. The difference is only software.
I am surprised to hear that the two TPSs are different, I thought plenty of people have purchased this part off the later bikes.

A faulty TPS should be easily identified with an oscilloscope using the info supplied by Defaultgateway.

Gefr is convinced that every problem like this is the TPS but I am not of the same opinion.
You need to understand that the TPS idle reading is not only controlled by the setting which you adjust the TPS in relation to the throttle body. The position of the throttle shaft does not rest on a stopper, it is held in position by the idle control motor which theoretically can move infinitely and thus change the reading of the TPS. So if the idle stepper motor malfunctions or is given a bad signal from the ECU then the TPS reading will also change.

If Ive lost you this is the senario: you set the TPS voltage at .6V, you start the bike and it idles good, BUT somewhere in the wiring harness there is a plug connection that is bad and due to vibration the circuit to the idle stepper motor inherits a slight resistance and causes the voltage to the stepper motor to change. The stepper motor is directly connected to the throttle shaft which is directly connected to the TPS, so now you've got a different TPS reading and the idle revs go up or down. Did the TPS have any bearing on this??? I think not.

This is why these problems are so hard to diagnose, did the chicken come before the egg or was it the other way around?

Buy a second hand complete unit and go riding I say

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #36
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
If you buy a complete S/H throttle body assembly off ebay like myself and Gusto did, I will guarantee that it will be cheaper than trying to find the real cause especially if you are paying a mechanic to do the work. And you will be riding your bike instead of tearing your hair out.

The 2011s sort of have a different ECU but they are really the same. They use an immobiliser but if you order a new ECU for your 07 you will get the latest ECU part no. The difference is only software.
I am surprised to hear that the two TPSs are different, I thought plenty of people have purchased this part off the later bikes.

A faulty TPS should be easily identified with an oscilloscope using the info supplied by Defaultgateway.

Gefr is convinced that every problem like this is the TPS but I am not of the same opinion.
You need to understand that the TPS idle reading is not only controlled by the setting which you adjust the TPS in relation to the throttle body. The position of the throttle shaft does not rest on a stopper, it is held in position by the idle control motor which theoretically can move infinitely and thus change the reading of the TPS. So if the idle stepper motor malfunctions or is given a bad signal from the ECU then the TPS reading will also change.

If Ive lost you this is the senario: you set the TPS voltage at .6V, you start the bike and it idles good, BUT somewhere in the wiring harness there is a plug connection that is bad and due to vibration the circuit to the idle stepper motor inherits a slight resistance and causes the voltage to the stepper motor to change. The stepper motor is directly connected to the throttle shaft which is directly connected to the TPS, so now you've got a different TPS reading and the idle revs go up or down. Did the TPS have any bearing on this??? I think not.

This is why these problems are so hard to diagnose, did the chicken come before the egg or was it the other way around?

Buy a second hand complete unit and go riding I say
This goes against all in my non officialy recognized engineer mind... however, like said, i've been down this road before and spent way too much time, few hair strings since i'm close to baldness, and got a set of ised tb's. Ever since the bike has gone over 20k kms w/o issues or complaints from current owner.

Nevertheless this was the easy way... bike is just too damn fun to waste time fidling with electronics...

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #37
dgjackson40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Similar Issues

TEZZA, see my thread concerning basically the same issue and what seems to have hopefully got me going again. I have TuneECU so was able to use it to help out tremendously.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964869