Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #31
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Remember the lunatics plan? Back in Little Rock when Bret was laying this all out for me, my BS meter was redlining. I was thinking, sure, y'all are going to roll into Raton looking and feeling like the walking dead. Bret assured me, "oh no, we're going to be raring to go!" Well, Bret and the boys left me tapping the lens of that BS meter wondering where to take it to get recalibrated. In fact, I was the one who was feeling off most of the day.
The Sugarite Canyon campground was ten or fifteen miles from decent phone reception and I wasn't real sure when they were going to arrive. I didn't want to start the trip with them waiting around for me while I was snoozing away at a campground, miles up the road. At 3 a.m. while I was laying in my tent with pre-trip insomnia I came up with a plan to ride down the road, find decent phone reception, and find out whats up. The campground was pretty concentrated with tents and campers so being the considerate bad ass that I am I quietly pushed the bike to the highway before cranking it up. (a 3 a.m. step disregarded by one of our fellow campers later in the trip at Moab) I have never in my life seen more deer standing on, beside and around a road than I did on the road to Raton that morning. Between the deer, chilly morning air, and pre-trip jitters I was fully awake and alert. It seems that early morning phone reception is farther away from camp than mid evening reception. I ended up riding almost to town before I was able to send texts to everyone inquiring about their ETA. Nothing back. They must all be asleep in the car. No calls answered. Only one thing to do, ride back to camp, break it down and get back to our rendezvous. I weaved back through the deer, parked just outside of the campground and quietly packed with the help of the mornings gloaming. With the gear packed and bike loaded I once more traversed the gauntlet of deer and made it to our meeting/truck and trailer parking place.
Once there I received word from Zach that they were about an hour and a half away. I had time to sort my gear and reconsider what I really needed to carry with me and what needed to stay in the truck. I had put a lot of thought into packing but in the end I panicked and threw pretty much everything I owned in the truck. This method of packing created a lot of chaos when it came time to whittle down my final load and pack my bike. In the end I got my gear pretty well figured out and the lunatics arrived on time.
They were hungry and talking about McDonalds, which I kind of hate so I steered them toward Raton's, All Season's Cafe. I just wanted a good meal and had been impressed the previous morning when I ordered an egg over easy and got a properly cooked egg, over easy, that never happens! Unbeknownst to me I had just set the stage for the perfect way to start our trip. I had never really spent much time in public with Bret, Brian, and Zach. While I have known many with highly developed skills in bringing out the personally of waitresses, non compare with the artistry of Bret! There was all sorts of off colored stories, jokes, and pranks emitting from our table. All the tables around us were either offended or snickering depending on their sense of humor, or lack thereof. One or two fellows in adjacent booths even joined in. It was Zach who finally won the prize of the game "I can't believe you just said that" when he told the waitress some crazy story about "not liking to run though the grass because it tickled his testicles" Then Bret said "at his age even if he wasn't short he'd still have the same problem" I thought they had gone a little too far but I think the waitress lady was ready to jump on the back of Zach's bike and go with us.
After breakfast and learning TMI about Zach and Bret most of the day was a blur for me. I discovered that Colorado turned me into a vampire who had to wear sunglasses at all times to keep my retinas from cooking (it's really bright out there) The procedure of getting your key in the ignition, and donning your jacket, earplugs, helmet and gloves in order was even more complicated on a muli-day trip. Most importantly, I was riding with three nut cases who despite having been awake for most of the previous twenty four hours, seemed to have boundless energy!

first nights camp sight near Crested Butte, Gothic Campground

cleandirt screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 11:54 PM
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #32
cleandirt
Adventurer

A couple of points about Thumpstart & Dogjaw's review of the first day...

• yes, Brian did ride to breakfast wearing a pair of flip flops, the first-aid kit never needed to be deployed.
•if I only had a nickel for every time I saw Bret washing the windshield of a complete stranger... I'm pretty sure he'd put all those third world kids who do it for money out of business if we were traveling outside the US. I did notice he sometimes used it as a delaying strategy so he could pump them for information about where to camp, roads to take, places to eat, etc.
•the GQ image of me… two words… BAD ASS
•Zach, I think you probably don't need work done on your shock, the real problem lies in having a camera inserted between your butt cheeks
•the smoking hot status of the waitress that Zach failed to address, but Bret did not… She was all about Brian and that dreamy pony tail of his. His headlight must have dimmed from being left on too long or he would have seen what was up with that!
•The folks at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory were super friendly, so much so that I was getting a little worried they were drawing us near so they could trap us, fill us with formaldehyde and mount us on a board as specimen in their library. Look in the drawer labeled Homo Hominis Arkansianas.

cleandirt screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 11:20 PM
Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #33
RiverbottomTrash
n00b

Oddometer: 3
She was smokin hot. Hottttt hot.
RiverbottomTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #34
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
You guys ain't right!

I'm in

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #35
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,823
Lesson from day one: never question what the road throws at you. I was a bit bummed earlier in the day as I had some places I wanted to see and routes I wanted to take, but if I had, I would have never experienced the weirdness and wonder of Gothic, one of the most spectacular places I have ever seen.

And day two made day one look like Mr Roger's neighborhood by comparison; a teaser...

Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #36
dogjaw
plays well alone

Morning broke across the mountains; this is the view which welcomed me, along with a brisk north wind:

Brian was preoccupied with some personal correspondence and the other two campers hadn't shown any signs of life, so it was a great time for a little quiet time and reflection on the beauty of this valley; that, and got to try out some new toys; I felt like a model from a LL Bean catalogue, only shorter and balder, kind of like an ADV George Castanza.

By this time the others had become somewhat ambulatory, and as we were discussing the plans for the day, a young guy wandered into out camp, somewhat unexpectedly as we were approximately a mile from Gothic with nothing but mountains behind us. He said that he was one of three research students whose car was stuck in a creek back up in the mountains, and needed a ride down to Gothic to call a tow truck. He was obviously as green as a gourd, from New Orleans but had never heard the term "coon ass", had never been on a motorcycle. I didn't realize how nervous he was until he querulously asked if anyone had a helmet he could borrow; on the ride to Gothic, I made up a whopper about how my wife wouldn't ride with me anymore because of my frequent crashes, due in part to my recent addiction to cough syrup. I must have spooked the poor kid pretty badly, as he fairly leaped from the bike when we got to "town". When I rode back to camp, I decided to check out the next valley, when I discovered the stuck car, high centered in the creek a short distance from our tents with the other two research students wandering aimlessly. Knowing that we had the brute Samson-like strength of Fletch the Intiminator at our disposal, I volunteered our services, and with just a little effort, had them out of the creek and on their way back to town.

We packed up and headed towards Crested Butte to gas up and head west across Kebbler Pass; the fine folks of Gothic treated us like kings, their valley is a palace, and I wish them all the favor in this world... What a place.

dogjaw screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 06:31 PM
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #37
cleandirt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Morning broke across the mountains; this is the view which welcomed me, along with a brisk north wind:
I don't think that was a northerly wind. If I recall correctly the previous night we ate the freeze dried cajun dinner which had a powerful effect on Brian.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #38
cleandirt
Adventurer

Gothic Camp
Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #39
ktmdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Nice camp set up. Where did you get the tall narrow cook pot?
03 600 Katana
01 KTM 200 exc wifes plated
ktmdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #40
dogjaw
plays well alone

The Walmarts, 15.00; has two cups that stack inside it, great find by Sukirider...

Another must have for this trip was my Fathers Day gift, a Big Agnes sleeping bag; didn't get cold once. Also, after seeing how much Zach and Brian liked their Helinox camp chairs, i had to break down and buy one in Ouray.

Gus: money well spent, Jake; both times!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #41
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 864
great reports guys. more, more !!!
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #42
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Your group sounds like the guys I ride with from Corinth,Ms. Say anything anytime. And a couple of them can quote every line from Lonesome Dove. Fun guys to ride with.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #43
07jkx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
The Walmarts, 15.00; has two cups that stack inside it, great find by Sukirider...
Thanks for the intel on that! Awesome RR!

I just used my flimsy mess kit (all in one) and it was wholly useless. Nothing big enough to boil enough water in for anything remotely useful... too bulky. That what you have looks to be perfect!
07jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #44
dogjaw
plays well alone

It also has the added benefit that the diameter matches the fuel bottle, fits just right in the bottom of a saddle bag with the stove, and is also the same diameter as my thermarest pad... The other bag holds my sleeping bag and first aid kit, worked like a charm, at least unto the last day, when my bags gave up the ghost:
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #45
dogjaw
plays well alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Your group sounds like the guys I ride with from Corinth,Ms. Say anything anytime. And a couple of them can quote every line from Lonesome Dove. Fun guys to ride with.

I would rather get hung by my friends than a bunch of strangers- Jake Spoon