Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,768
1. Marquez, the kid is on a roll, and everybody else is standing in line for Starbucks stale pastries.
2. Pedrosa
3. Rossi
4. Bradl, finally slays his dragon and doesn't choke at the home national
5. Lorenzo begins his crawl back to confidence.
6. Aliex Espargaro.

Ducati's blow up motors, electrical gremlins rear ugly heads, Audi sells the marque to Tata, who thought they were buying scones.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,722
Rossi, he finally gets qualifying right, he has been watching MM for a weakness and knows he can beat him, and he has the pace.

MM. Who else?

Dani. Good, but still not great from the surgery.

a great distance to

Lorenzo, who does not have his mojo back yet and will say this is the best finish of his life.

Bradl. Happy German.

Dovi. On a roll, but not that good a roll

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,002
Anyone have a link to the video of Stoner crashing the Duc in the waterfall right hander a few years back? He was hauling ass, and was leaned over so far he levered the bike off the ground with the footpeg. Bike was a yardsale, he was fine. I think it was his last year at Ducati.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Anyone have a link to the video of Stoner crashing the Duc in the waterfall right hander a few years back? He was hauling ass, and was leaned over so far he levered the bike off the ground with the footpeg. Bike was a yardsale, he was fine. I think it was his last year at Ducati.

Have to be a MotoGP.com subscriber

http://www.motogp.com/en/video/2008/...achsenring+FP2

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
I am a subscriber but link no worky....
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
So you're gonna TOTALLY discount Lorenzo in favor of Dovi and AEsp? That's a mistake.

I pick Lorenzo to podium, but definitely no worse than 4th.

Anyone that thinks it's over for Lorenzo is wrong. The guy is a phenom. He's struggling a bit due to a few different factors but he won't stay down.

Same thing with Rossi in the last few years; everyone jumped off the bandwagon and proclaimed him washed up. Eating crow now.
These aren't guys that give up and unless there's some serious personal impairment or serious mechanical impairment then they retain the ability to be up front for a long time.

Go JLo!
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #22
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Lorenzo said he did poorly at Assen because he crashed there last year; he also crashed at Sachsenring last year, so there's a big question mark heading into the weekend.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I will be surprised if MM doesn't win. Everyone else is on 800's or appears to be, to me anyway. I'd also like to see him break Doohan's record of 10 straight wins.
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Anyone that thinks it's over for Lorenzo is wrong. The guy is a phenom. He's struggling a bit due to a few different factors but he won't stay down.
+1. Anyone who can race with two broken ankles is not a quitter. That said, he may need to spend a little more time in the wilderness to refind clarity of self. Needs a few 3rd to 5th places to get back in it.

Rossi has modified his riding style - whether to keep Marquez in sight, or simply because the game has changed isn't germane - but Lorenzo (and Crutchlow) resist. Yamaha has worked to get Lorenzo his old bike back, but really, this is not the way forward. He has work to do.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #25
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
So you're gonna TOTALLY discount Lorenzo in favor of Dovi and AEsp? That's a mistake.

I pick Lorenzo to podium, but definitely no worse than 4th.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post

Same thing with Rossi in the last few years; everyone jumped off the bandwagon and proclaimed him washed up. Eating crow now.
These aren't guys that give up and unless there's some serious personal impairment or serious mechanical impairment then they retain the ability to be up front for a long time.

Go JLo!
I do agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
Lorenzo said he did poorly at Assen because he crashed there last year; he also crashed at Sachsenring last year, so there's a big question mark heading into the weekend.

Lorenzo admitting he was scared of crashing at Assen because of last year speaks volumes about his state of mind at the moment.

I have no doubt he'll fight back, but I just don't think it will be this weekend. Maybe after the summer break, when he's had time to analyse and reflect, then I think we'll see a different JLo.

But then again, I'm not part of the GP circus, so what do I know?
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:35 AM   #26
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
tail of the lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post
I pick Marquee for the win. I'm going to Indy, so it would be a great thing to see him make it 10 straight there.

With the team leaders established at both Repsol Honda and Movistar Yamaha, the second riders will be looking to improve their incomes for the 2015- 16 contract period from one third of what they make now to half. .

Pedro will try too hard and crash. Lorenzo will be happy to finish third behind Rossi in second.
The smelly midget goes into Germany with his future set through 2016. He has nothing to race for, contract-wise.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/H...il+end+of+2016

I'm actually surprised by this, I saw Pedro and Lorenzo as the likeliest to go elsewhere. This leaves Lorenzo nowhere to turn, he stays at Yamaha or gives up hope of another title.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #27
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
I'm actually surprised by this, I saw Pedro and Lorenzo as the likeliest to go elsewhere. This leaves Lorenzo nowhere to turn, he stays at Yamaha or gives up hope of another title.
Well to me it totally makes sense for Honda, as Pedro is a very fast and experienced rider, who could fight for the title, if Marquez happens to get sidelined. Perfect #2 rider. Taking Lorenzo on that seat probably would have severely pissed off Marquez – I can΄t think of one good reason, why Honda want to do that to their no.1 star?

But Lorenzo΄s situation is interesting right now. There appears to be something similar to where Rossi was four years ago (before he made the ill-fated switch to Ducati) .... so you basically do want to stay, but won΄t tolerate a big pay cut, and what΄s more, your status as #1 rider in the team is under severe threat. The difference is, Lorenzo has seen four more years of Ducati getting nowhere (and how Crutchlow is doing), so he probably does not take the Italian as a serious option, like Rossi did. Come to think of it, where is he gonna go?
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #28
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:
The smelly midget goes into Germany with his future set through 2016. He has nothing to race for, contract-wise.

'Smelly Midget'? Are you right with that?

I like this....classy..
Old 07-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #29
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:

'Smelly Midget'? Are you right with that?

I like this....classy..

Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #30
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
But Lorenzo΄s situation is interesting right now. There appears to be something similar to where Rossi was four years ago (before he made the ill-fated switch to Ducati) .... so you basically do want to stay, but won΄t tolerate a big pay cut, and what΄s more, your status as #1 rider in the team is under severe threat. The difference is, Lorenzo has seen four more years of Ducati getting nowhere (and how Crutchlow is doing), so he probably does not take the Italian as a serious option, like Rossi did. Come to think of it, where is he gonna go?
Well it's Suzuki or Ducati. But it's hard to believe Suzuki wouldn't pay him less than Yamaha, and give him lesser machinery. So ... it's Ducati.

Only ray of hope there is the redesigned engine that is supposed to be ready for next year. Supposedly throws Ducati's engine-as-frame design history out the window, which could make a big difference.

After all, it is not as though the present Ducati is short on horsepower. And there is no obvious reason why a redesigned engine should be slower.

The lure then for Lorenzo would be:

a) a pay rise;

b) undisputed team leadership;

c) the faint possibility that the bike with a year of development and control electronics could be better than the 2016 M1 with control electronics; and therefore

d) the faint possibility that he could cement his legend by doing what Rossi couldn't and winning a title or two for Ducati.

It is all a pretty big stretch. But it is all about the alternatives, and the alternative of spending the next two and a half years on the M1 chasing Marquez, while battling with Rossi for development input and forgoing a pay rise, might not look all that enticing either in Lorenzo's present frame of mind.