Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #16
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,396
Very cool......my son and I are doing this ride next summer.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
WNDRLST
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Cool trip! I'm longing to do a ride from New Mexico over to Newfoundland, mostly traveling north of the border. Looking forward to the rest of your report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WNDRLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
I was born in Newfoundland back in the '60's. My dad was stationed at NAS Argentia flying anti-submarine patrols out over the North Atlantic. We left for Jacksonville when I was only a few months old. I've always wanted to go back...
MotorcycleWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Geez, I'm worried enough about the vicious blackflies as it is. Now I'm TERRIFIED!!!

Did you use any kind of bug spray or repellent? I'm looking at one of those portable ThermaCell gadgets which a friend swears work for blackflies.

I'll be doing the trip starting Aug 1st and HAD planned on doing as much camping as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
I wish you a great trip. Bring some bugs spray. You will need it between Baie-Comeau and Blanc Sablon. I was up North a few weeks ago and I won't return until all the black flies are dead...

That's when I woke up. One eye is shut (a bit difficult to ride) and the lip is swollen.

An hour or so later. At least I can have a 3D perception of the road.

And don't forget the longest distance between fuel is 420km (260 miles). Have fun doing the remaining 600km of dirt roads. Those are being paved at a high pace these days. ;-)
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Norwis, on the "really bad" (your words) selfie you took, it looks like there's a shock cord around your neck. Is that what's holding your camera? Can you please describe a little about how the camera is attached and how you take photos "on the move"?

And the photo of the bad road with heavy equipment... is that still on your way to the TLH or are you already on it?

Maybe I'm going to have to slap on some TKC80's for this trip instead of my Anakee 3's. (I've got a second set of wheels with the tires already mounted so it's pretty easy.)
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #21
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Very cool......my son and I are doing this ride next summer.
Good luck to you! It was a lot of fun nd I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!

This trip Dylan was old enough to understand the magnitude of a trip that long and being so remote. He also was, again, shown that there are good and caring people in this world.

Have fun and be careful!

Todd

2up to Labrador - Another father/son adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984421
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #22
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Norwis, on the "really bad" (your words) selfie you took, it looks like there's a shock cord around your neck. Is that what's holding your camera? Can you please describe a little about how the camera is attached and how you take photos "on the move"?

And the photo of the bad road with heavy equipment... is that still on your way to the TLH or are you already on it?

Maybe I'm going to have to slap on some TKC80's for this trip instead of my Anakee 3's. (I've got a second set of wheels with the tires already mounted so it's pretty easy.)
First of all, headnet and 100% DEET and you will be just fine with the bugs. I don't like to wear the insect repellant so we only used it on a couple of occasions.

The camera was attached with a cord that fit over my helmet and I stashed it in a pocket that was left unzipped on my jacket. I can reach in and pull it out, lay it on top of my tank bag and turn it on with one hand. Once it's on it's a matter of point and shoot. I can drop it from my hand and not lose it, too.

The video is on the TLH during one of the days we rode it. Not a good day for us. Stay tuned for details...

Todd

Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #23
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

June 10, 2014

Day 3

We were up early again. Packed up and on the move by 8:30am. Before we left I took a few more photos of the campground as well as the park behind it:

It was still pretty early so no one was out.

This is the showers, restroom and laundry right across from our campsite.

Dylan ready to rock -n- roll!

The park right behind the fence at the back of our site:

We went to a Tim Horton's before we left town. As we were taking our gear off this woman walked up to us and started to plead her case for some cash. She said "I've had to resort to living in a TENT, can you believe it?" Dylan and I looked at each other and said "So are we?". She was not very amused but I gave her a looney to get something to eat.

Once back on the road Dylan started to take some photos:

He likes the shadow photos of the two of us riding:

He also liked the fact that they warn motorcyclists about the grooved pavement:

I like the fact that he is taking an interest in the sights and we get to see these sights from his vantage point.

He also liked the rocks that were along the highway.

He liked them a lot:

Then we got to see some things that I think would be very cool. Your own little island:

We were heading north on the Trans Canada Highway (RTE 11) and went through a very nice town called Temagami. We stopped for gas and went to the local chamber to get a map. It was closed but a young lady in the library had a key and unlocked it and got us a map. Right behind the chamber/library was a float plane:

Nice little town that looked like it was a resort kind of town:

We were going through New Liskeard which is part of Temiskaming Shores. We were a little early for the Biker Reunion but boy were they all geared up for it:

We saw a lot of these little yellow banners all along the streets on the light poles:

We were cruising along pretty fast and it was hard to read the small print on the banners. Then we got to a corner and saw these larger banners. How cool is this?!

They were a fund raiser to "Battle Cancer".

We were getting ready to cross into Quebec!!!

Have you noticed the near perfect weather we were having? That's about to change.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #24
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I was born in Newfoundland back in the '60's. My dad was stationed at NAS Argentia flying anti-submarine patrols out over the North Atlantic. We left for Jacksonville when I was only a few months old. I've always wanted to go back...
I would encourage you to go back. It's beautiful!!!!

Todd

Old 07-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 3 continued

Bonjour!!!!

It's hard to see because it snuck up on me. The Welcome to Quebec sign. Not a very big welcome. Well, we were on some small back roads. We'll get a bigger welcome later.

This was becoming a long warm day. The road was straight as hell and there was nowhere to stop for a break. We were getting pretty tired and needed a longer break.

We were in Quebec and I thought this would be a great time to try out the few, as in very few, words of French I knew. We stopped at this motel/restaurant to see how we could do in ordering lunch:

http://treynolds.smugmug.com/Labrado...P1070681-L.jpg

We went in and sat down in a booth. Several folks were there as well eating and talking. Couldn't understand a word of what was being said. No worries. The owner/cook/waitress/cashier came out and blurted something out that I didn't even begin to understand. I asked if she spoke english. No. Alrighty then, menu? Shrugs her shoulders. Menu, as I pretend to open a book. A gentleman next to us points to the wall and I see the menu written on the wall. Couldn't understand a thing written. Crap. I am failing miserably at this. The charades I was trying to play weren't working either. I asked for a drink. Soda, Coke? I point to the cooler as I see cans of soda. I get an Orange Crush for Dylan and a Ginger Ale for myself. That will do for now.

Going to have to do better than that if we're not going to starve.

We pay for the drinks and head back out and mount up.

Then you look at this sexy beast parked here and it all pays off.

Quebec had a few nice waysides or roadside parks.

Dylan enjoying being off the bike for awhile. We had a few Clif Bars and granola bars that we could always snack on if we got hungry.

A strange picture to take but I don't get to see an entire city street with signs I can't read. I had no idea what some of these places were.

One thing I REALLY like about eating at a McDonalds in Canada. They serve packets of vinegar for the french fries!

We were stopping more often later today. I was trying to get further but we were both getting tired. I took a wrong turn in Rouyn-Noranda and that deflated us for a little bit. Found a nice place to camp in Label-Sur-Quevillon while we were eating at McDonalds (I think that was in Val d'or).

It was reasonable, $20, and had showers and free laundry (found that out the next morning). Two young girls were at the office when we pulled up. The conversation went like this:

Bonjour. Hello, do you speak english. Yes, a little. Thank you. Oui. How much for a tent site? $20. Great I'll take a site then.

We finished filling out all the forms and the younger girl who spoke english says there is a $10 deposit for a key. What's the key for? Shower. What time do you open to get my deposit? 8am. I may be gone before then so I don't need a key for the shower. No toilet? You mean I need a key to pee? Oui, Oui. I need a key to go wee wee? She thought that was pretty funny but I think she was about to say the same thing. We go the key after leaving the deposit so we could use the showers and restrooms.

A photo from the front of our site:

Also from the back. You can see the bulldozer had just spread some gravel out. Not a lick of grass in the site. Oh well.

We had to put on our head nets here. The skeeters tried to carry us both off but the head nets and a little DEET kept them at bay. We were in bed early after a long day.

They had Wi-Fi at the office so we set up camp and went to the office to use it. The girl who spoke english was still there and was very helpful. Her name was Aurelie. She tried to get us to pronounce it better but we just butchered it. She laughed and thought it was funny. She was originally from Maine (explains the english). She pointed out the map along the Saint Lawrence Seaway on where we could watch for whales. Excuse me? Yes, you must stop to watch for whales. Cool!!! We're in!

We traveled 355 miles today and were pretty tired. We also went above the 49th Parallel today. We've been much higher but it was still a nice plateau to reach.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #26
wtmklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I did the TLH back in 2012, great ride! Did you get a sticker?

"I Survived the TLH"

Ride Report
wtmklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #27
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmklr View Post
I did the TLH back in 2012, great ride! Did you get a sticker?

Whoa!!!! Where'd ya get that at?

I looked for one like that but couldn't find one. Had to settle for a plain old TLH oval. Sure would like to get one of those!

Todd

Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
wtmklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorWis View Post
Whoa!!!! Where'd ya get that at?

I looked for one like that but couldn't find one. Had to settle for a plain old TLH oval. Sure would like to get one of those!

Todd

I found it in a Gift Shop in Goose Bay. I'll try and dig up the name of the shop for you.
"I Survived the TLH"

Ride Report
wtmklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #29
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
I found it in a Gift Shop in Goose Bay. I'll try and dig up the name of the shop for you.
Please post the name of shop if you can remember it.

NorWis, I am heading to Lab the end of next week. If I can track down the shop I'll pick an extra one up for you. Will send you a PM to get your address once I have it.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #30
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post
Please post the name of shop if you can remember it.

NorWis, I am heading to Lab the end of next week. If I can track down the shop I'll pick an extra one up for you. Will send you a PM to get your address once I have it.

Thank you both!!! That would be very cool!!!

We stopped at a little store kind of an general junk/gift/souvenir shop about 5 minutes before it closed. The owner (a bearded gentlemen) said if you know what you want get it quick, I'm closing in 5 minutes. We just left.

Todd