Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
DR Greg,
I have been following your posts and motorcycle adventures with your ULY till now. Have a great trip. When in the Dacks keep going west down BIG Moose rd to Still water and No4 road into Lowville.

If you have the time whats is the background for the new bikes name?
Yeah, the '06 Uly was a GREAT bike...IMHO of course. Thanks for tips re the Adirondacks. Must admit they seem a long ways off (well, they are), but I'll be there eventually, if fate smiles on me

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #17
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Weather update

BTW, a FIERCE thunderstorm (by appearances and on Weatherbug) came thru Boise City, Oklahoma JUST AFTER the good Doctor departed on his way to Guymon, OK.

I kept dodging the storms all day, right to the end. Gotta be a good omen

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #18
PA RIDER
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I am watching your progress astride the mighty WOTAN. I don't like riding with groups either, for the very same reasons but would really enjoy being on this trip with you. My father homesteaded in Estancha, NM in 1917. My first wife and I honeymooned in Kilington, VT in 1970 so I feel somewhat connected to both ends your adventure.

Your suite is ready if you can still stop by in PA. Looking forward to meeting you as is my wife (Mrs. Greg need not worry). We had some storm damage a few days ago in my area but no damage on Bear Mt.

Enjoy this scenic country and that beautiful GS. I will follow your every cheeseburger.--PA RIDER
Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #19
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA RIDER View Post
I am watching your progress astride the mighty WOTAN. I don't like riding with groups either, for the very same reasons but would really enjoy being on this trip with you. My father homesteaded in Estancha, NM in 1917. My first wife and I honeymooned in Kilington, VT in 1970 so I feel somewhat connected to both ends your adventure.

Your suite is ready if you can still stop by in PA. Looking forward to meeting you as is my wife (Mrs. Greg need not worry). We had some storm damage a few days ago in my area but no damage on Bear Mt.

Enjoy this scenic country and that beautiful GS. I will follow your every cheeseburger.--PA RIDER
Yeah, I wondered if you folks felt the effects of that recent storm. Hopefully it will be better when I'm there. Thanks for the kind words, and I'm slowly making progress in your direction...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Thursday, July 10: Guymon, Oklahoma ---> Ponca City, Oklahoma

Leaving Guymon

Guymon, OK is about in the center of the Oklahoma Panhandle (more on that later). I headed E on US 412 and stopped 16 miles out at Hardesty, OK. Found a little "rest area" to stop at...

Dr. Greg & Wotan at a rest stop near Hardesty, Oklahoma...

Here's a closeup of the "monument" to Old Hardesty.

Turns out the town was named for Col. Jack Hardesty...

Another view of my beautiful bike in the Oklahoma Panhandle...

Wotan looks mighty nice anywhere...

One advantage of traveling on TWO WHEELS.

You all know this, but in a cage one is SO isolated from the environment. On a bike, not so. Midway between Guymon and Woodward, the country began to get a few little hills. And---of course---it was another gorgeous day. See?

A few small hills, and---more important---cooler temps!

And---mysteriously---the temperature quickly dropped by about 10 degrees! It was about 90F, and it dropped to 80F. And on a bike you can REALLY feel that...man, it was NICE!

Welcome to NO MAN'S LAND...

Turns out that for a while the Oklahoma Panhandle was literally without any form of government. This monument explains it. First gotta show off Wotan again...

Wotan in front of the "No Man's Land" Monument...

Ok, ok, here's a closeup of the monument. Hopefully you can read it (might help to zoom in if you can); it's kinda interesting.

The story behind "No Man's Land"...

A GRAMMAR Lesson...

Mrs. Wilson was my 8th grade teacher, and she drilled into us that UNIQUE means UNIQUE. One of a kind. It's nonsense to talk about "very unique" or "most unique"...so imagine my revulsion as I read this portion of the monument text:

Mrs. Wilson would be turning over in her grave...

The "Cherokee Strip" Museum...

I'm a sucker for museums, so when I hit the junction at Alva, Oklahoma and saw a sign for the "Cherokee Strip" museum, I had to see it. So here it is:

The front of the museum.

In case you can't read the fine print, here's what it is again:

I'll list a few photos I took inside, along with my comments.

This looks like my old living room: piano, old radio, old TV, etc.

Looks like Dr. Greg's old 1953 living room.

Dunno know if these were Kiowa or Comanche, but they look relatively peaceful at this point.

The original occupants of Oklahoma.

This looks like it coulda been machine a "naturopath" might use...

Yikes! What a quack could do with the "Medcolator"!

This tonic looks like something that would do ME some good...

And it only costs $1.25...

Not sure I'd want to recline in this dentist's chair...

Ouch! Dr. Feelgood is definitely NOT at this wheel...

This looks like the typewriter I took to college with me...

This baby predates the IBM Selectric by a bit...

And the ol' switchboard...

Number, please?

And of course there's the forerunner to the iPod...complete with operator!

What would Steve Jobs think of this?

Here's my favorite, an old Data General machine. Any of you illiterates ever read The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder? That's Pulitzer Prize stuff. All about the development of the Data General Eclipse minicomputer. As a long-time user of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) PDP-8s and PDP-11s (and LSI-11s), this is very cool...

An old Data General machine!!

Still a beautiful day, and some advanced corn...

No thunderstorms today, nowhere, nohow.

Nothin' but gorgeous weather today.

Finally, this corn is already tassled out. Musta been using some Gro-Rite, or whatever...

Knee-high? This corn is neck-high...

The wrapup.

Well, folks, that's it for today. I'm struggling with a lousy WiFi network tonight, so writing the RR update has been a pain in the, well, neck. But I'm gonna get 'er done. Tomorrow I'm going to check out the Picher area, and see the effects of that toxic lead and zinc mining. No idea what's there. For all I know, the road thru there is closed. But I doubt it.

As usual, thanks for following. Sorry for boring you with those museum pics, but I dig that stuff. Rest assured, there'll be more. I was kinda disappointed the Cherokee Strip museum didn't have more history, but...it was still interesting.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
2wheeldevildog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Managing your pics

Dr G I recently did a 12 day 5563 mile trip with iPad mini. My goal was to not have to use it. It was for work emergencies only. My buddy also had an iPad along with an Apple SD attachment devise so he was able to pull the SD card from the camera and load the photos to his iPad. When I gat back to Charlotte I bought a device at the Apple store so I could load my pics to my newer iPad mini. It's a must have device IMO.
Safe travels.
2wheels
2wheeldevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
Hoppalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
As always, I'm enjoying your ride report, Dr. Greg.

Regarding Wotan: have you ever wished you had gotten the adv version specifically for its larger gas tank?

Thanks
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #23
hdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
corn height

Where is an elephant when you need one?

Dr. Greg, good to see you back on the road.
hdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #24
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
As always, I'm enjoying your ride report, Dr. Greg.

Regarding Wotan: have you ever wished you had gotten the adv version specifically for its larger gas tank?

Thanks
Y'know, not really. The way I ride, I routinely get 200+ miles from one tank, mainly depending on the wind. Sometimes I've gotten 250 miles.

And I'm a little guy (5-8, 145)...the last thing I need is EVEN MORE WEIGHT on a bike. As it is, I'm probably on too big a bike. But I love it so much I refuse to give up (I was weight training this spring till I got sick).

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
Where is an elephant when you need one?

Dr. Greg, good to see you back on the road.
Hah! Re the road: you and me BOTH. It is so good to feel GOOD!

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 87
Greg, enjoying your RR as usual. If you're coming through Mid Missouri on Saturday and need a place to stay, contact me. I'm in Jefferson City. I'll send contact info in a PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #27
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Possible hiatus in Ride Report...

Had a great day today, am spending the night with inmate "louie5" in Joplin, Missouri.

But...

I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up the "live" ride report. Just don't have the stamina. So there may be a gap for a day or three. You have my most sincere apology.

I'm sure there will be several "rainy days" at the lodge where I'm staying (for a week) in Vermont. That will be a perfect time to catch up.

So far great weather, great country, great roads, lotsa heat, lotsa humidity (at least for this New Mexican). Things couldn't be going better. And Wotan continues to impress.

I took 37 fotos today---lotsa stuff to update the RR. But just don't have the stamina tonight. Yep...visited TWO museums: the "Bartlesville (OK) History Museum" and the "Phillips Petroleum Museum." Both were wonderful---I coulda spent the whole day there. I enjoyed my time in Bartlesville.

The plan is to spend tomorrow night with inmate "luckychucky" in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. May camp out in his back yard...on the banks of the Black River. We'll see.

As always, thanks for following.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #28
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlj View Post
Greg, enjoying your RR as usual. If you're coming through Mid Missouri on Saturday and need a place to stay, contact me. I'm in Jefferson City. I'll send contact info in a PM.
Thanks very much for the offer, but JC is a bit north of my general route. If I change my mind I'll give you a holler. Thanks again.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #29
BoxerDoc
Still a nOOb

Oddometer: 108
Keep up your 'unique' ride report, Doc! Enjoying everything so far.

Stay well.
BoxerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Friday, July 11:Ponca City, Oklahoma --> Joplin, Missouri

Thursday night in a fleabag motel in Ponca City

As if staying in a motel weren't bad enough (compared to staying with an inmate or camping), I tried to "save a buck" by selecting a "lower-budget" accommodation. Thus I was subject to (1) screaming kids, (2) the THUD THUD THUD of someone stomping on the ceiling (even though I was on the top floor), and (3) I forgot the other annoyance. But somehow I slept thru the night...pretty well, actually.

Soon after hitting the road, I had to scramble to get my camera out, cuz I was crossing a sizeable river! Being from arid country, I have this thing about loving any running water. I believer this was the Arkansas River (correct?):

I think this is the Arkansas River.

And---as is becoming the norm for this trip---another beautiful day in north-central Oklahoma. And it seemed like the country was becoming somewhat greener...as should be the case as I go east.

Another beautiful day, and getting a little greener?

Bartlesville, Oklahoma --- a nice surprise!

I was hoping that Bartlesville, Oklahoma would have something interesting---what an understatement (IMHO of course). I followed the signs to the "Visitor Center"...

A logical place to find out about Bartlesville.

I parked Wotan in front of a little city park, near the Visitor Center:

Wotan biding his time while Dr. Greg looks around.

There were two museums of interest: (1) the History Museum, and (2) the Phillips Petroleum Museum.

The Bartlesville History Museum.

Turns out the History Museum is on the 5th floor of a city office building.

The first "exhibit" is a well-done likeness of an early Bartlesville photographer. I pushed a button on the exhibit, and turns out it was "animatronic!" And very well done, IMHO. I listened his spiel, fascinated...

This "animatronic" exhibit was VERY WELL DONE!

Turns out the Osage Indians did very well from the oil discovered on their land, unlike many tribes. That made me feel good.

Kinda neat to hear about the Osage.

I love "old-timey" portraits like this...some early businessman. They just don't make people like they used to...

Some early businessman---what a great countenance!

And I simply fell in love with this pastel of an early Santa Fe railroad station in Oklahoma. What I wouldn't give to have that artwork up in my living room...

A lovely pastel painting, IMHO.

Any of you guys heard of "steam-powered farming." I guess it makes sense...

I guess steam ran the early Industrial Revolution, so why not farming?

This is whom "Bartlesville" is named after...

This guy put the "Bartles" in Bartlesville...

And I believe this is Mr. Bartles hisself...

Love those old mustaches...

An early Bartlesville building...like the people, they don't make 'em like this anymore.

They don't make buildings like this anymore...maybe a good thing.

And---before Title IX---the ladies were into sports!

The Bartlesville Women's Basketball Team!

And who hasn't heard of the "Dictaphone?" Forerunner to a tape recorder?

The legendary Dictaphone.

And who woulda guessed the composer of the "12th Street Rag" (one of my favorite piano pieces to play) was from Bartlesville? Amazing.

Who woulda known Bartlesville had any culture?

Anybody remember "Tom Mix" --- an early cowboy film star?

Good ol' Tom Mix...

And there's the proverbial "one room school" --- alive and well in B'ville. BTW, the sign on the wall says "never draw attention to your APPEARANCE or BEHAVIOR" --- boy, have we come a long way since then.

What would the NEA think of this?

Well, that's it for the Bartlesville History Museum. As with most museums, I could've spent the whole day in there. And it was FREE.

The Phillips Petroleum Museum.

You've heard of "Phillips 66?" Well, they started near B'ville, and their headquarters is still there. And there is another FREE museum...gotta check this one out. I tried to restrain myself taking pictures of "old stuff," but took some pics of informational posters, etc.

Another museum in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.

Turns out there were five "Phillips" brothers --- here are two of them (I have a later pic of all five):

A couple of the Phillips brothers.

I hadn't realized Phillips had quite a place in aviation:

Some info about Phillips aviation stuff.

These comments on "crude" crude made me think of, say, the Alberta Tar Sands. Oil is getting MUCH more difficult to obtain.

Oil is getting harder to get!

OK, here's ALL FIVE of the Phillips brothers...

A pretty good-looking bunch of guys, I'd say...

Phillips branches out into the world...ominous, perhaps?

Much of unrest in the world revolves around oil.

Had to insert this pic --- one of Dr. Greg's boyhood loves was CHEMISTRY...and an Erlenmayer flask was just too good to pass up...

This glassware brings back memories from Dr. Greg's misspent youth...

A memorable lunch at "Frank & Lola's"...

I got two separate recommendations for this cafe. So I walked over, and---being a good New Mexican---ordered the "Green Chile Cheeseburger." When it arrived, I got so excited I ate half before I remembered to photograph it...

Turns out eating this much was a big mistake...tell you why later.

Picher, Oklahoma and the Lead and Zinc mines...

I mentioned earlier that my paternal grandfather and my father both worked in the Eagle Picher "lead and zinc" mines in NE Oklahoma for decades. My grandfather was a foreman, and had a scrapbook of glossy 8x10 mining pictures that just captivated me as a kid...all the Ingersoll-Rand pneumatic machinery, etc.

The legacy of that period was one of toxic lead poisoning to many (most?) of the area workers and residents, and eventual "Superfund" site that finally was completely depopulated.

The tailing ("chat") piles are still there, and are still toxic. At one time they were up to 1/4 mile in height!!

The deadly "chat" piles.

They look almost like sand dunes, but are coarser, and still contain lots of lead. Kids used to drive their ATVs on them for fun. Shudder.

Nothing like that team spirit!

Eventually lead will even shut down a gorilla...

Let this be a fitting exclamation point to the tragedy that was Picher, Oklahoma. Much of the bullets in World War I and II came from Picher, Oklahoma.

I'm sure that museum would have been interesting, but I'm about 30 years too late.

End of the day...

Must admit I was kinda down after going through Picher. But I perked up when I met my hosts for the evening: Steve & Kathy and their lovely place in Joplin, Missouri. We went out to visit their friends and had a wonderful potluck (and THAT'S the reason I shouldn't have eaten so much for lunch).

Steve and Kathy, my hosts for Friday evening.

Anyway, had a great evening and did nothing on the ride report. I'm making up tonight---while staying with inmate "luckychucky" (Chuck & Melissa) in Poplar Bluff, Missouri.

The plan for Saturday was to ride from Joplin, Missouri to Poplar Bluff, Missouri --- which I did. Some great roads, more hot weather, but a wonderful day. I'll get that written up ASAP, but not tonight.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)