ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #14551
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 252
Was up around Miami on Saturday (7/5) with my son riding the Sugarpine train. On the way back decided to drive thru Miami real quick to see if my son could see some motorcycles. Absolutely ZERO people. Came in the the top entrance and drove the road to Kamook. Nobody, amazing. I've always seen it packed 4th of July weekend. Temperature was 93F at Kamook so that might explain it. Right around 1pm so it only got hotter.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #14552
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
2014 Sierra adventure rally

Anybody considering?

https://bonnier.webconnex.com/ADVRally_Sierra2014

Teams get $100 off registration.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #14553
Gebogen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
China Peak

I'd like to but I can't swing the $550 this year. Are they going to allow GPS or just Roadbook Navigation?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #14554
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebogen View Post
I'd like to but I can't swing the $550 this year. Are they going to allow GPS or just Roadbook Navigation?
I assume we can run what we brung.

McKay screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 10:53 PM
McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #14555
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
This is essentially the same type of Adventure event that I'll be working with the Stewards to set up for 2015. Roughly the same cost for excellent lodging and food, different site destinations, different hotel accommodations, sponsors will be different, however the proceeds go to the Stewards to be used in our Sierra National Forest. Cycle World Mag owned by Bonnier did this last year. Bonnier Corporation benefits from the profits as far as I know. In any case the proceeds did not go back into keeping the trails and forest roads open last year. They are doing an event in the Rockies in July of this year too.
In either case no GPS tracks will be provided. Your team should be equipped with GPS and with a smartphone. Teams will be provided GPS coordinates for specific sites with an accompanying photo in an Adventure book and map with site locations marked with a number. Each site has a point value assigned depending on the level of difficulty getting there. Some are easy pavement site locations. Others will be moderate off-road locations for Adventure bikes. And others will be difficult if not damaging to large Adventure bikes in the hands of the less skilled. For each site the team gets to select which sites to ride to, and how they get there is also up to them. Planning with the map and book the night prior is important. Teams take a photo with similar identifying characteristics as the one provided in the Adventure book. The photo is then Instagram sent by smartphone via wi-fi when in range or 4G data when in range. It all worked well last year. The hashtag information identifies the team and again the site by number. Event headquarters receives the photo, and tallies up points for the teams. The team with the highest points wins the Adventure Challenge and in the case of Bonnier Cycle World event the wining team received a plastic cup and bragging rights.
Personally I would like to attend the Cycle World event in the Rockies just to get the flavor but it's pricey, travel is expensive, my dimes are limited and my road bike is in tatters so it ain't going to happen.
I hope many of you can participate next year in the Steward's event.
Utah / Colorado http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
Mexico http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun

coarsegoldkid screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 09:20 PM
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #14556
Gebogen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Stewards

@CGkid

I've got a funeral to go to on the 19th. How much of the event goes on Sunday?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #14557
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Id like to do it, and as Coarsegoldkid knows I have a good sized toy-hauler that I am willing to share. Can sleep 8 if need be. I will be asking if we can park them at the resort parking lot. If not, Id still like to see if we can get some local interest, its expensive yes, but looks like a good time with food and lodging included.

Wrks2surf don't you do this kind of thing on a more advanced level?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #14558
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebogen View Post
@CGkid

I've got a funeral to go to on the 19th. How much of the event goes on Sunday?
I'll get back to you on that. I had to miss the last meeting. Tomorrows(Wednesday) meeting I'll know more. It is a two day riding event at your own pace. I'm not sure as I write this but I believe the dinner and all the raffle stuff happens on Saturday evening. You will however get GPS tracks or roll chart for the routes for both days with you entry fee.
The last that I knew there will be lunch in the form of tri-tip sandwiches available to purchase by the riders outside at Jones store. That's so that riders don't have to go inside and won't take forever to get lunch. Also fuel is to be available too.
Utah / Colorado http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
Mexico http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #14559
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,398
McKay the ride was done by quite a few A or B riders on big bikes over 900 ccs so im sure most on a 450-525-690 can do all the spots they want you to ride to. I think the thing is a time deal IE getting there and back first
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #14560
Daryl D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Rides

I am also doing the Stewards duel sport ride. Then on July 23 several of us are heading to Colorado for the Cycle World Adventure ride.
It came up as a last minute option as a friend is already there and wanted to do it.
I will give some sort of report on the two rides when I get back.
Daryl D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #14561
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Kimboys farewell tour

Hey guys,

Matt is leaving our fair city for greener pastures on Sunday....seriously, we couldn't make a pasture green around here even if we wanted to.....there's no damn water

I've talked him out of packing & taking care of all his last minute stuff to come out & have a beer, or some pizza, or both on Saturday

We'll be at the Me-n-ed's Victory grill on Cedar btwn Ashlan & Dakota @ 2pm this Saturday if anyone wants to join us

JP
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #14562
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Hey guys,

Matt is leaving our fair city for greener pastures on Sunday....seriously, we couldn't make a pasture green around here even if we wanted to.....there's no damn water

I've talked him out of packing & taking care of all his last minute stuff to come out & have a beer, or some pizza, or both on Saturday

We'll be at the Me-n-ed's Victory grill on Cedar btwn Ashlan & Dakota @ 2pm this Saturday if anyone wants to join us

JP
Fresno to Chicago = greener pastures?!?

Ill try to be there!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #14563
JPaccassi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Fresno to Chicago = greener pastures?!?

Ill try to be there!
I don't know, I've never been there...any place outside the central valley has got to be pretty nice right??
Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #14564
FiveOJester
Monti's Nemesis

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaccassi View Post
Hey guys,

JP
Will be camping with my family at Dinkey, so I won't be able to make it. Matt, best of luck on your new adventure! Fun riding with you and hanging out at Warped!

I heard you're gonna ride from Chicago to Kernville next year for Warped???
Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #14565
KimBoy
Cloud Chaser

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJester View Post
Will be camping with my family at Dinkey, so I won't be able to make it. Matt, best of luck on your new adventure! Fun riding with you and hanging out at Warped!

I heard you're gonna ride from Chicago to Kernville next year for Warped???
You too Dave. Will be olympia wa or denver for warped! It would be criminal to take the bike to Chicago. Kinda like a tiger in a zoo.