Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #76
cellige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
The speed tint darkness is perfect, you can almost look right at the sun through it, but still transparent enough that you can see stop lights etc, something you can't do with electrical tape.
cellige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #77
ggt
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Not sure

I have an AGV K3, original with a clear visor. Purchased a tinted visor an worked great until my first encounter with heavy rain and fog so thick that the visibility was around 5 meters (in a narrow colombian mountain road). So I had to ride with the visor up (rain drops felt like needles in my face) and with the help of a nice guy in a mazda that follow me and another biker, we reached a safe spot to park. As soon as I got home the clear visor was back. Sometimes bad conditions are so sudden that you can't change the visors on the road. Probably the best option is to have the internal sun visor, although I don't fancy it.
ggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #78
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellige View Post
No responses on the speed tint wow ! Totally solves the problem guys !
Well, solves the problem that you want solved, yes. So does a strip of electrical tape... even cheaper.

Doesn't help sunlight reflecting off a wet roadway.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #79
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

Two rows up high really helps.
I've done that. Very effective.

Presently I have a strip I had made with my cam chain tensioner logo and the sign shop's logo across my street helmet shield (having the sign shop logo there they gave me the two strips for free). Works like having a dual sport helmet visor, but the visor is better in my experience.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #80
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 765
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post

I love my tinted visor....but for a different reason.......anonymity. There are times when I pull into a gas station and just want to gas and leave. I leave the helmet on, visor down...gas and go. No eye contact, no problem

I feel the same...

I ride w/ relatively dark sunglasses on day and night; always have.

No problems.

I only use my drop-down sun visor for discouraging conversation like Skyshadow does.

In conjunction w/ my tight-fitting earbuds, it lets me live in my own little world.

It's nice and dark and solitary there, w/ a great soundtrack too.

FTW

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #81
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,661
Tinted visor, the darkest I could find, tinted internal visor and perscription sun glasses.
fuck yea......

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #82
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,022
there great till you stay late somewhere and need to drive in the dark

**** that was scary
Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #83
Ernest T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
I nearly always wear a dark tint shield, but usually use the shield more as a sunshade than visor. My main rides have big fairings and windshields so normally I just wear prescription sunglasses on sunny days. . I carry a clear shield in my trunk and will switch out if it rains.

I have two main helmets, an HJC and Arai. Switching out a shield on the Arai is a nightmare--I don't know what they were thinking, but it sounds like you are breaking all kinds of stuff in there when you put a shield on or take one off.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #84
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
there great till you stay late somewhere and need to drive in the dark

**** that was scary
You don't keep clears in your jacket?

I do it eitherway, clear glasses with dark shields, or sun glasses with clear shields. I almost always leave before dawn, so I get mixed riding everyday anyway.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #85
HOTPASS
Torch slinger

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post

It's nice and dark and solitary there, w/ a great soundtrack too.

FTW.
This^

Plus...I like being all ninja-y and faceless. Last thing I need when I trying to look cool is someone seeing my chipmunk cheeks and dork glasses squashed into my helmet.

If it's gonna rain, I just grab another helmet with clear/drop down visors, I go into rage induced fits trying to change shields.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #86
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTPASS View Post
If it's gonna rain, I just grab another helmet with clear/drop down visors, I go into rage induced fits trying to change shields.
What da hell?

Most shields are easy as hell to change, even my Arai which is notorious for having a WTF(?) shield system can be changed in all of 10 seconds, it tales me longer to get the levers out than it does to get the other shield on.

I had an EX1000 with the drop down, that damn lid was heavy, heavy, heavy, and the visor wasn't worth the neck strain over my X-11 or Corsair, so its on perma-back up duty, I haven't even taken it out of the box in like 2 years.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #87
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 268
Dark shield 90% of the time. I keep a pair of sunglasses and a pair of clear safety glasses in my top box. Sunglasses for the hot days when I want to run with the shield open. Clear glasses for when I get caught after dark or in the rain.

On a trip, I'll pack the clear shield.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #88
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
What da hell?

Most shields are easy as hell to change, even my Arai which is notorious for having a WTF(?) shield system can be changed in all of 10 seconds, it tales me longer to get the levers out than it does to get the other shield on.

I had an EX1000 with the drop down, that damn lid was heavy, heavy, heavy, and the visor wasn't worth the neck strain over my X-11 or Corsair, so its on perma-back up duty, I haven't even taken it out of the box in like 2 years.
My Arai XD-4 takes far longer then 10 secs. Half the time I can't get the cheap plastic screws to line up properly. The XD-4 truly needs a quick release option.

Spring to Fall I wear a tinted shield and carry clear motorcycle glasses for riding at night and just keep the face shield up. Once winter sets in here in a Boston I put the stock clear shield back in since it's too cold without it. Suns at my back going to work and it's dark when I leave in winter.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #89
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Bell Transitions shield since late 2010 and could not get by without it. Not sure what the true manufacturers warranty is on it but mine seems to simply stop working approximately once a year. I then email Bell Cust Service, explain the situation, given them the MFG Date of the shield and about a week later a new one shows up at my door free of charge. I have been thru 3 now and #4 is on the way. I ride almost daily and I ride a lot of miles. Here in Florida there is so much fine sand on the road that I theorize that the abrasive nature of the sand wears the Photo-chromatic coating off. I use only distilled water to clean it.

Since Bell sends me new ones I am 100% satisfied.
mjfields_228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #90
tiki01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellige View Post
No responses on the speed tint wow ! Totally solves the problem guys !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
A simple Google search finds numerous sources for it. Even Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Fog-City-Speed.../dp/B0012TR0CO
Thank you! An inexpensive solution I'm going to try. I was thinking about sun glasses or tinted visors but really just need the shade for just a couple times during a ride. I really liked those helmets that have the built in visors you could pull down and up but more of an investment I want to make right now.
tiki01 is offline   Reply With Quote