Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
in!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Day 3 Wednesday May 13

Something that I didn't mention before. My original plan was shot to crap before I even started the trip. I was originally going to take the 15 days until my reservation to meander on down to Puerto Vallarta. The reason my plan was shot to crap was that my cousins wife called me up to say she was doing a surprise birthday party for my cousin the Saturday after my sabbatical starts.
This meant my new plan was to meander to Idaho, spend a few days with my family and surprise my cousin then move in a faster than meander speed towards PV.

An even more restful night than the previous. I get up and start to break down camp and put my gear on. When I put my pants on, (the new Bilt Explorers I bought for this trip) I discover that the change from my left pocket is now in my left ankle.

Let me back up a little bit here. Before I went to bed at Bear Hollow campground I had discovered my keys, which I had put in my right pocket, down at my right ankle. After 1 day of riding the seam in the pocket had given up, now after the second day of riding the other pockets seam had given up. These pants are supposed to be my protection if I happen to do the “Pete Rose” while riding. At this point I had no faith that these pants wouldn't just blow up if they ever contacted the ground. My planned route for the day was NF-10 to Granite then paved roads to Cycle gear in Meridian ID and exchange these pieces of crap pants for anything that wasn't a Cycle Gear specific brand.

Back to NF-10. This is 37 miles of dirt road and one of the more major NF roads. I wasn't planning on adventure. I started getting an uneasy feeling when I started getting to snow which only had dirt showing through at the tire tracks. I was still rising in elevation. I then came to a patch of snow that the tire tracks didn't’ break through all the way to the ground. I made it through that section fine and was now heading down hill. I thought I was home free. Around a few more corners and about 10 miles from Granite, I found my nemesis snow bank. It was a fairly sharp banked corner. The snow being much higher on the outside of the corner made it banked even more steeply. There was one set of tire tracks which had been made through here some time ago. I decided to try and take the lower and shorter tire track. I got about a third of the way and my front tire kept trying to slide down the slope. I should point out that there was a ravine and creek where my front tire was trying to go. I decided this wasn't worth the risk. I pushed my bike backwards out of the snow and attempted the top tire track. This one looked more defined and I felt as though my tires wouldn't try and make a break for the creek.
I was correct, my tires didn't’ try and go anywhere. I got a few feet in and my tires just sunk in. Looking at my choices; the possibility of 10 more miles of this lost out to turning around and riding the 27 miles back to pavement and ensuring I made it to Cycle Gear before they closed.

I made it to Cycle Gear. Spending the next 4 days with family. Motorcycle trip to continue on Monday May 19th.
h2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4 Monday May 19

Boise to almost Las Vegas

The day started out right for adventure. I got halfway between Boise and Mt Home (the next town), when I got my first motorcycle flat tire..... ever. It was karma. I had been carrying around 2 spare tubes and decided to lighten my load some so I left one at my parents house. That'll teach me. The valve stem had been completely ripped off of the tube, so there was no repairing it. I put my only spare tube into the tire and continued on.

Now I worried that I'd get another flat and have no way to continue on without assistance. I called around in Mt Home and no one had any tubes.
I then pressed my luck and continued on to Twin Falls. Pressed luck turned into good luck. Action Motorsports was open and had my size of tube. I bought one.

Leaving Twin Falls the wind started and there were storm cells dropping moisture from the sky. I did my best to avoid them but I couldn't dodge them all. I got moist.

Here's a picture of some of the clouds behind the sign. I have a habit of taking pictures of information signs because I know I'll forget what they say later on.

I wasn't expecting to say this next line when I started this trip.

I wish I had my heated gear for Nevada.

I got to Wells NV and they had a sign up saying that the road was closed 26 miles ahead, expect delays. I saw people coming the other way so I figured they might just have one lane closed. I got to about 25 miles and I reached a stopped convoy of cars, RV's and Semi's. Since I'm on a motorcycle I weaved my way to the front. Where I was met by a Dept of Trans person who was not excited about me coming up there. I park my bike a couple of semi lengths back, got off of the bike and approached the scene. The DoT worker was much more pleasant now. There was an over turned apple truck carrying 43k lbs of apples, blocking both lanes.

I stated that it was probably apple sauce now. The tow trucks had arrived and were going to right the sideways applesauce truck. I was told it would be about an hour before they would be done and traffic could start moving.
I looked off to the side of the road and it was all sage brush as fare as the eye could see. I inquired if they would mind if I went out there in the brush to pass the truck and come back onto the road where the other direction of cars were stopped. They said as long as I stayed at least 50ft from the truck I should be fine. They were saying that the top was going to pop on that trailer when it was righted. While that would have been something to see, I didn't want to wait an hour.

As I came back onto the road past the truck, the people out of there cars were giving me smiles of approval and thumbs up. This happened down most of the line. I hope they weren't doing that thinking that the road was opened.

I stopped at a rest area to rest and warm up a little bit in the small hut used for other things. That rest area had all sorts of information about the Pony Express, The Lincoln Highway and about the natives that used to live in the area.

Here's one of the pics for the Pony Express.

The wind was an ongoing theme. I stopped in Ely NV for dinner and fuel. When I left it was dark. Wind was still blowing. When I got down in elevation some after Ely it at least warmed up a little bit. I continued on through the dark until about 70miles from Las vegas when I got a hotel.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 Tuesday May 20

North of Las Vegas to Phoenix

I was cursing the wind today. I should have pushed on last night. It was blowing but not this bad. Headwinds suck but headwinds on a loaded 250 with 70 mph speed limits is a whole new level of suckage.
Wind is the continuing theme through out the day. My bike has 6 gears and I was in 4th and 5th most of the day to try and keep near the speed limit. I drafted people whenever possible.
The wind finally died down a little bit when I was almost to Phoenix. Got to my Uncles house fairly exhausted. Tomorrow I rest. Kinda.

There is a joke in here somewhere. You can also see the wind in all of the flags.

Gas and machine guns. A natural combination

Took a break here. Needed some water and a picture of Dr Suess trees.

I had shipped my camping gear to my cousins in Houston while I was in Boise. I was planning on hoteling it while in Mexico. Hence my bike is now missing a bag in the pictures. I still had my Hennessy hammock with me though if I found somewhere I really needed to stay.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #20
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6 Thursday May 22

Phoenix to Hermosillo Mexico

4 days until PV reservation

Alarm goes off at 5 am. I actually get up. Those that really know me know how big of a deal that is. Google says it's 3.5 hrs to the border and I want to get there fairly early because I want to be fairly far from the border before I stop for the day.

Do I even need to mention the wind again? I'm starting to really hate the southern US and Northern Mexico.

I make it to the border and go into the immigration office. They are having technical difficulties and send me onto the office at km21. I was worried I was going to miss it but you can't. The office at the border is fairly small. This one is the real main one. I ended up there at the perfect time it seems. The place was set up with the human equivalent of cattle chutes but there was only 1 person ahead of me. I was in and out in about a half hour which I believe is pretty fast. I could have made it even faster if I had done the TVIP and insurance online before I got there.

All checked into MX and headed back into the wind.

Let my back up a bit back to Nogales. It isn't as Mexican as I was expecting. America has infested the world with our giant chain stores. Whatever store or fast food chain you go to in the US is probably down here too.
The first thing that I noticed that said "I'm in Mexico now" was at a stop light. I see the left turn arrows light up and the far right hand lanes in both directions make left hand turns in front of the 2 left lanes which are continuing straight. That was kinda crazy but also kind of ingenious for any big rigs that need to make a corner.

Now back out into the wind. Roads are straight and gas stations (Pemex) are plentiful.

Mexico south of Nogales

First priority stop and get some Bimbo's.

I think that's the Mexican equivalent to Hostess.

It's hot and I stop at a couple OXXO stores for bottled water. About 2pm I'm about 30 miles to Hermosillo and my bike stops all of a sudden, like it's not getting gas. I pull off to the side of the road, sit there for a second thinking about what might cause that. I hit the starter for troubleshooting purposes and the bike starts. It seems fine so I get back on the road and continue on. Bike runs fine all the way into Hermosillo. I stop at a taco stand because I'm in Mexico and pretty sure that's a law. Delicious.

I hop back on the bike and head out into the slow traffic. My bike dies again, then again a few blocks later. It's getting bad and I can only make it half a block before it dies again. Luckily it's in front of a hotel. I book a room and have the front desk call the Yamaha dealer in town to see if they have a fuel pump in stock.

Nope. They say it'll be 15 days to a month to get one shipped in.

I do more research and this appears to be a known issue for my year of bike. When the fuel pump gets hot it can't create enough pressure. The bike has almost 18k miles on it and this is probably the hottest weather it's seen.
I tossed around a couple of ideas in my head and decided that I will continue on. Tomorrow I should be close to the coast and I hope it'll be cooler and not have the fuel pump acting up. If the fuel pump does start acting up in the morning when it's cool, I will be revisiting some of those thoughts I had previously tossed out.

After I had a plan for the following day I decided to walk down to the Cathedral and central square in town.

Jogger on the Hermosillo green belt? Second one I had seen running down there.

View from my hotel room looking towards downtown Hermosillo.

There were venders with carts surrounding the square. But they all seemed to be selling the same things. 1 - Flavored Doritos or Frito's that they opened on the side and loaded with different toppings. 2 - Little handmadeish knickknacks / trinkets. 3 - Flavored shaved ice.
With that many different vendors they should have a much greater variety of things to sell.

Train for the kids to ride around on.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
Tagman
JCunningham Colo

Oddometer: 79
Hey Matt, I'm John and I live in San Carlos1 hr so of Hermosillo just north of Guaymas. If you do not solve your problem you are welcome to stop by here. We have an extra air cond B/R and I work at our local Moto/ATV shop where we can possibly solve your problem. Keep this in mind and contact me on here if you need help or just swing by and say hi.
Tagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagman View Post
Hey Matt, I'm John and I live in San Carlos1 hr so of Hermosillo just north of Guaymas. If you do not solve your problem you are welcome to stop by here. We have an extra air cond B/R and I work at our local Moto/ATV shop where we can possibly solve your problem. Keep this in mind and contact me on here if you need help or just swing by and say hi.
Thanks John but I've already completed this trip and I'm back in Portland.

I appreciate the offer though.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #23
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I have the same bike with a similar setup so keep the pics coming! Did you ever use the hammock in the end?
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7 Friday May 23

Hermosillo MX to Navojoa MX

Got up and on the road by 8 am. It gets hot early here. The hotel I was in was an Ibis hotel. It's a chain and it seemed rather upscale. They were all about water and energy conservation. The shower was nice and had an overhead rain shower head. I was up on the 6th floor.
I got an early lunch at a pollo stand.

I could order a whole chicken or a half a chicken.

I ordered half a chicken. It came with tortillas and all the fixins for tacos. I ate some of it as plain chicken and some I made into tacos. It was way more than enough food. Glad I didn't order whole one.

I made it to Ciudad Obregon before the bike started acting up again. I stopped there for a few hours and checked out the surrounding blocks where my bike finally ended up. This seemed to be a busy part of town. I was right in front of an indoor mall that covered an entire city block all the way out to the sidewalks.

Do you know that they sell motorcycles in their department stores right next to their appliances.

On the sidewalks there were cart vendors on the outside edge of the sidewalk facing in. Between the carts awnings and the buildings awnings it formed a tunnel. It was cooler in the tunnels. I really like shade.

Here's a crappy video of me walking around the block.

After my bike was in the shade for a couple hours I decided to risk it and try for the next town. It was only about 40 miles away. I made it to the toll booths before it died again.

That was about 30 miles in. I rested in front of the Federales building. They were all wondering what I was doing but no one ever came over to question me. A half hour or so later I pushed my bike through the toll booth then got on and started it on the other side. I didn't want to add any more heat than neccessary. I made it to about a mile from town this time. There was little shade here. At first I just put my bike in the dirt path beside the road which was about 5ft lower than the road. I realized I needed to find some shade for the bike or I'd be here awhile. I decided the culvert that went under the road would be a good spot. I stayed there until I figured I could continue on.
I finally took off again and made it to a hotel. It was right next to a Tecate Six stand. This is kind of like a small convenience store and outdoor bar. I walked over there and got a single XX then headed back to the hotel and read my book in the shade.

Here's what you get for about $20

Later I took a shower, did my laundry in the sink and went to bed.
I didn't even get electrocuted.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #25
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I have the same bike with a similar setup so keep the pics coming! Did you ever use the hammock in the end?
No, I never used the hammock on this trip. I've used it in the past and I was thinking I'd use it later on in the trip but things didn't work out that way.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #26
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8 Saturday May 24

Navojoa MX to Culiacan "Love Motel"MX

I woke up early. 5am early.

I hadn't eaten dinner last night due to not really being hungry and I still wasn't that hungry.

It was already light out. I loaded up the bike and headed out by 5:30. I wanted to get as far as possible before my bike started acting up.

I got to a "Love Motel" just south of Culiacan. There was a restaurant in the front of the place. I went in and had a late breakfast. They had AC and WiFi.

I inquired as to a nearby park or some place I could go relax in the shade. There was nothing near, so I decided I'd go back into the city proper to find one.

I hadn't been able to find any shade for my bike while I ate but I figured I might have a shot at making it to town. I was wrong. I made it less than a quarter mile away before it gave up the ghost again.
I pushed the bike back to the "Love Motel" and plopped myself in their AC for the day. The hotel charged in 6hr time slots, so I was going to wait to check in until I could sleep through till the morning.

The waitresses tried helping me out by calling around town looking for a pump for me, or should I say, my bike. Google translate is awesome by the way. None of them spoke any english and I speak only a very little Spanish but we were able to converse fairly easily.

Morning shift waitress in he front, evening shift waitress in the back.

The morning shift left and the afternoon shift came in. I ate dinner then when I was leaving my evening waitress verified that I was checking into the "Love motel" and made sure I knew where to go.

I got all checked in, which consisted of driving into the garage the attendant pointed me to then give him money for a 12hr stay. He then closed the garage door behind me. The only entrance into the room is through the single car garage. The room consisted of a large round bed with mirrors on the wall. A large curved couch along one wall. It was curved up like a banana chair at one end.The ceiling had large recessed circles of different sizes with mood lighting installed. The bathroom was all travertine tiles and actually quite nice. They even supplied 2 pair of shower booties.

Love Motel garage

I put on my booties and took a shower then went back up to the restaurant to get a beer. They only had Tecate Light. I decided to go next door to the OXXO (mexico's 7/11) and grab a couple that I might actually like.

When coming back, my evening waitress was walking out of the driveway from where the rooms were. We tried to converse but the WiFi didn't work outside of the restaurant, so we went back in and she started chatting me up. I got the impression that I was a potential "John" to her but she insisted that she wasn't a prostitute. She was curious about why I wouldn't pay for sex though. During this time all of the other waitresses were in the kitchen looking through the window at us. I found that hilarious. There was a whistle at one point from the kitchen and I inquired if that was from the TV or one of them was checking out my legs. After that, a second lady came out and joined us. I believe she was one of the cooks. They were trying to set me up with a different cook that was about 3x my size. I didn't so politely decline but I did apologize ahead of time for sounding like an ass.

These 2 liked to use a lot of slang phrases and I kept getting the impression that they were trying to entertain me for the night but they kept denying that.

I finally decided that I had better retire to my room or I wouldn't want to get up in the morning. I still had 2 beers to drink.

I went to my room drank my beers while I read my book then went to bed.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #27
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Nothing like a good old love motel, some of my favorite stays;) At least you always got porn if you don't have company.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #28
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 426
IN!

So what is it that you do that allows you to take a sabbatical? I have been trying to get my company to do that for years. They say nobody does that anymore.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.

Max Wedge screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 12:58 PM
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #29
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
+1 I've stayed in a couple of love motels as well. Always a nice audience in the morning watching you leave in shame when you realise you just slept at a brothel.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #30
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wedge View Post
IN!

So what is it that you do that allows you to take a sabbatical? I have been trying to get my company to do that for years. They say nobody does that anymore.
I work for Intel.

Thanks for following along guys.

The love motels are actually quite nice