Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
sstout OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
TAT Trail Nevada Update 3rd July

Hi All

We've just ridden from the Utah Border, (The Border Inn) following Sam Correro GPS route & have encountered no problems with the route other than sometimes losing the trail as it is a bit vague in parts. The GPS line is good though, so you just have to look for the trail, don't expect the big trails you're used to on the TAT, there are some great sections through some wild landscape here.
We reached HWY 50 & followed it into Eureka, there were no fire or flood damage issues at all visible.
Great day of riding with about 230 miles covered in a loong day!!

See blog for more details - http://tattrail.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Steve
sstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
sstout OP
Adventurer

Nevada Update - Day 2 Eureka to Battle Mountain

This was an easy day, big trails, no nav problems & all of the route according to Sam's GPS line were fine.

There is one section we never covered yesterday or this morning, the section that goes from HW 50 to Eureka, its about 20 miles ish. Sam marks it up as being wary for washouts etc, we bypassed it as late in the day & decided to miss it out this morning too...

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,336
Thank you for the info! Please let us know if there's anything else!

I had gotten the impression talking to Sam on the phone that the bridge washout was further west than Eureka. We ALL look forward to your updates, you're truly pioneers for this year's route.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 705
tat trail

I just completed the tat from tellico to port orford 3 weeks ago. We had no problems with the roll charts till about 50 miles west of battle mt. Utah. Started with a washed out bridge at a small ranch and continued with some trail closures around and near a large mining area where thy were doing underground blasting and fracking.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
sstout OP
Adventurer

Nevada Update - Battle Mtn to McDermitt

Hi Guys

This is all open, we passed through the whole section of 150 miles with no issues except for trapping wire in two bikes, the section that drops near a fence after Coyote Mountain is a rocky pile of shite, through the scrub bush, the GPS takes you to this but you're better of taking the right fork at the junction 1/2 mile before as it all rejoins after this little section, if you do it look out for wire in the scrub.
There are fires burning north of Cedarville apparently, 50% under control but could affect the TAT, check out http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/lg_fire2.php for more info & we'll post something tomorrow as we're gonna head that way instead of following Sam's last bit as we're being wusses & shrinking our mileage from 270 to 204 miles!! :-)
Apparently there is also a fire burning east of Fort Bidwell, about 2000 acres in size & its 50% contained...
Happy trails all...
Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 AM   #6
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,336
Awesome, thanks!!!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
sstout OP
Adventurer

Nevada - McDermitt to Denio Junction

Hi All

This is all open, pay attention to nav as most of the trails are overgrown... great riding though... we had mechanical & puncture issues which meant we finished early but hey ho... also there is no fuel in Denio, so don't include this in your planning, nearest is 25 miles north at Fields, great place, cute chick behind counter, plus man with pistol...

have fun all ...
Steve & Geoff
Old 07-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
GoMotor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstout View Post
Hi All

This is all open, pay attention to nav as most of the trails are overgrown... great riding though... we had mechanical & puncture issues which meant we finished early but hey ho... also there is no fuel in Denio, so don't include this in your planning, nearest is 25 miles north at Fields, great place, cute chick behind counter, plus man with pistol...

have fun all ...
Steve & Geoff
From the gas station in Denio Junction to the station in Lakeview, OR. My GPS measured tracks showed 181.6 miles and my odometer showed 191 miles add 25 miles back from Fields and you get 206.6 to 216 miles. Not a problem for a 6 gallon KLR650. I used 4.65 gallons, but if you have a shorter range you should pick up a gas jug before you get there. Other riders may have bought then all up.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
sstout OP
Adventurer

Nevada Update - Denio Junction to Lakeview

Nevada Update - Denio Junction to Lakeview
The trail is open as far as the zig zag descent down from the Sheldon Antelope Refuge, after this the fire zone covers 15000 acres & the TAT skirts the very edge of it. We took a detour south on gravel roads to get around it of 25 miles, or you can take the gravel road to the pylons that cross the road (12 miles to pylons) & turn right to follow the service dirt road, once you hit the gravel road again, turn right, you rejoin the TAT about 300 ish yds up the gravel road before Mosquito Lake.
The pass over to Fort Bidwell is open, but there is no fuel in Fort Bidwell or food, the place closed 15 years ago!!!! Nearest is Cedarville, 23 miles south or Lakeview 40 miles north.
Happy Trails
Steve...
Old 07-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
sstout OP
Adventurer

Oregon - Lakeview to Gilchrest 8th July...

Oregon Trail Update - 8th July
The trail between Lakeview & Gilchrest is all open & fine, no worries at all... enjoy... it's very dusty though!!

Great cafe at Silverlake, excellent breakfast & the Mohawk in Crescent serves good food too!

Steve & Geoff
Old 07-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
sstout OP
Adventurer

Oregon - Lakeview to Gilchrest 8th July...

Oregon Trail Update - 8th July
The trail between Lakeview & Gilchrest is all open & fine, no worries at all... enjoy... it's very dusty though!!

Great cafe at Silverlake, excellent breakfast & the Mohawk in Crescent serves good food too!

Blog Link: http://tattrail.blogspot.com/2014/07...gilchrist.html

Steve & Geoff
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Thanks for sharing conditions.

Do you have any pictures? It makes these reports much more interesting!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
If you camp anywhere in the woods like Oregon do not assume its legal to light a camp fire.Most of the west got %40 of normal rain fall last winter.Everywhere is very dry.I am sure nobody wants a $300 ticket.I am not really an eco-freak but I hate getting attention from law enforcement.I camped off of my bike last summer and after I got home I checked out the fire legalty on the place I camped and found out I wasnt supposed to have a fire there.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
n2o2diver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Thanks for sharing conditions.

Do you have any pictures? It makes these reports much more interesting!
They have a lot of pictures on their Blog:
http://tattrail.blogspot.com/
n2o2diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
sstout OP
Adventurer

Oregon Update 12 July

Hi All

We finished the TAT today at around 1pm, great lunch in Griff's restaurant on the quayside at Port Orford, now sat in a nice little motel drinking beer!!

From Gilchrist, virtually all of the trail is open & no problems. We found two bits that were 1. Closed by the forestry at least a couple of years ago, (See info below) & 2 we started up a trail that the GPS line took us up but as the trail on the ground was heavily overgrown & did not match to the GPS line about half a mile into it, we then returned to the road which was great fun, it missed out about 1.5 to 2 miles of forest trail which rejoined the same road later anyway.

The closed section is 12 miles after the sharp left turning off the 29. As far as we could see on our maps & GPS all of the forest trails around there dead end so we returned to the 29 & headed down to Tiller on this.

So important bits... There is NO FUEL at Tiller, 14 miles towards Canyonville there is fuel, it's an old guy & his prices are pretty iffy.
The is no accommodation at Tiller or Glendale. We stayed in Sunny Valley at a motel, it is truly shite, don't go there but the RV park on Junction 71 apparently rents out cabins & is very nice, other than this it's head to Canyonville.

For more info & pics, go to the blog:http://tattrail.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Steve & Geoff