Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #3706
lharrell79
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by garzan View Post
With some Googling, I did find this article which seems to me about the best argument for pulling the HID kit out. I do get a surprisingly large number of oncoming drivers flashing their lights at me when I'm on lowbeam. From my side, looking out, the light output is awesome, but I guess not so awesome when you're the one looking in.
I think the root of your problem is probably the headlight relay. Now, did the HID cause it? Possibly, but no one will ever know. I would look into putting it back to stock for the time being. If you want better light in the future, look into an LED H4 bulb. The LED's provide a little better lighting, and much less power draw.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #3707
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by garzan View Post
The issue is with the left hand passing / highbeam flash switch. Close the momentary switch, get a relay 'thunk' from behind the instrument cluster. Highbeam goes on and stays on. Toggling the switch the blue highbeam indicator toggles, but the actual light stays on highbeam. Only way to go back to lowbeam is to move the high/low rocker switch up to high, and then back to low. I brought it in thinking it was just a bad relay but the dealer doesn't want to do anything until it is returned to stock.
I think these bi-zenon arc bulbs have a servo/solenoid that moves a shield in front of part of the arc and blocks part of the beam for the low function. Maybe when the switch is in the low position and you activate the momentary push to pass button it powers the servo and moves the shield out of the way for high beam light, but when you release the momentary switch there is no power going to the servo to move the shield back. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram, but there is probably a way to fix it. Might have to add a wire or two and a couple of diodes.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 10:36 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #3708
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,227
I was going to get a larger tank bag for longer trips, but it occurred to me to check out my Aerostich tank panniers. It turns out they fit like they were made for the CB-X. There's plenty of room in front of my knees and they are really easy to attach.

I'll use the little tank bag for accessories and electronics. I'm pleased by this arrangement because I don't like big tank bags yet I'll still get some weight forward on the bike. Without spending any more money.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #3709
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Aerostich tank panniers.
Good place for more storage and now you will have dry knees.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #3710
micksing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFalcon View Post
Well I have been looking for luggage racks for my new cb500x, I everything I have found are really nice but also expensive. So until I can manage to save money to deck the bike out I would like to find cheap and inexpensive ways to create a rear luggage rack for my bike. I was hoping that some of you wise guys can lead this young buck into the right direction. I was thinking of trying to find something that I can attach to the rear of the bike that wont take space from the seat since I plan to double up. I need something that would be easy to put bags on so my wife and I can go for a weekend trip. Hope you guys can help out. Thank you in advance.
Check out my thread on te cb500 forum, made my own
http://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,562.0.html http://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,939.0.html

first link id for panniers second one is for a rear rack
micksing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #3711
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,820
The Shad rack and top case look and function great on the X, and the rack was much cheaper than the SW Motech, with more contact points, 129.00 for the rack, already had the case. This brings the list of mods to:

Cogent Dynamics forks
Seat Concepts saddle
Leo Vince exhaust
Shorty levers and hand guards
Centerstand
12v/USB connector
Shinko Raven rear tire

She's coming together nicely...

Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #3712
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,820
Honda CB500X

Just returned from a 10 day trip out west, Moab, Ophir, Clear Lake, White Rim, Potash Rd, etc. I was really wanting to take the CB after some modding, but I'm eternally grateful that I took the DR. I think that the CB would have made it through approx 50% of what we rode out there, and we tended to stay away from the more gnarly jeep trails. I hope that this doesn't come across as a slam on the CB, but the weight, suspension travel, plastics, etc would have been to it's detriment. As it was, the DR came home pretty dinged up; the CB is too nice of a bike to subject to that type of abuse, especially fully loaded. Owl Creek Pass, Kebbler Pass, etc, she would have done just fine with some TKC80 and a skid plate. Just my .02, I'm sure now someone is going to take one across Black Bear and prove me wrong, and I hope they do, but it won't be on mine. YMMV.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #3713
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Oddometer: 1,409
Thumb Wonderful

Quote:
I was going to get a larger tank bag for longer trips, but it occurred to me to check out my Aerostich tank panniers. It turns out they fit like they were made for the CB-X. There's plenty of room in front of my knees and they are really easy to attach.

I'll use the little tank bag for accessories and electronics. I'm pleased by this arrangement because I don't like big tank bags yet I'll still get some weight forward on the bike. Without spending any more money.

Great setup!

You guys are doingg a great job with setting up this MC for touring.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #3714
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Went to a friend's b-day party this weekend. Just happened to be 20ft from the Tennessee TAT. I did the needful.

Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #3715
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,442
I don't think my local dealer is big on test-rides or I'd go try one out. It looks like a great smaller bike and may be good basis for a more dirt oriented machine. I'd love to see a mini-PD version of this bike.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #3716
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
What tire pressures are you kids running? I dropped mine by ~5psi and it seems to have made a fairly substantial different both in on-road comfort and off-road traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #3717
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:

Nice system.

I've always like tank panniers for the sake of keeping warmer and dryer when the weather turns to ass.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #3718
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Just returned from a 10 day trip out west, Moab, Ophir, Clear Lake, White Rim, Potash Rd, etc. I was really wanting to take the CB after some modding, but I'm eternally grateful that I took the DR. I think that the CB would have made it through approx 50% of what we rode out there, and we tended to stay away from the more gnarly jeep trails. I hope that this doesn't come across as a slam on the CB, but the weight, suspension travel, plastics, etc would have been to it's detriment. As it was, the DR came home pretty dinged up; the CB is too nice of a bike to subject to that type of abuse, especially fully loaded. Owl Creek Pass, Kebbler Pass, etc, she would have done just fine with some TKC80 and a skid plate. Just my .02, I'm sure now someone is going to take one across Black Bear and prove me wrong, and I hope they do, but it won't be on mine. YMMV.
Yes, I am getting some pressure to 'prove' myself and the CB500X on rough jeep and logging roads, ---I just tell them, not this year with a new bike, and stock tires. I got this bike after selling my GS 1150 and DR 650, ---something in-between, and think I'll just enjoy the handling and smoothness this year on the paved twisties.
At what point is mining the potential of a borderline/ADV bike,- almost brand new, and under warranty become stupid abuse, flying over tree limbs and apple size rocks on logging roads, with 2'' of powder dust is my definition of abuse and stupid. That's what my CRF-230 can handle, after a good rain storm of course.

Motos that I have owned are always a fair deal, as one must take care of our machines, much like cleaning a gun before it goes back in storage.
After every 300 mile ride, the warm chain gets a 90-W oil bath, and then I just let it drip clean and carry the black nasties onto the newspaper-then cardboard it is parked on. After that (some deem as messy procedure), and moving the CBX around the driveway and garage, the chain is so well lubed and quiet, that I swear, If feels like there is no chain rounding the sprockets at all.
If riding the next day, a few paper towels will take care of most of the 'sling off', before you mount up and leave.
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #3719
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,227
I regard the CB-X as a pure street bike. The only thing it has going for it in the off-road department is its somewhat lighter weight. And the beak.

But my DR650 is probably 50 pounds lighter and even that is just typical of a mild dual-sport bike.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #3720
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
I fitted an ADR approved H4 60/55 + 120 power bulb to the headlight and low beam is better than previous high beam. High beam is excellent. No more power or heat either.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote