Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #46
TRoberts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great ride report... leaving myself this evening after work from St. John's riding counter-clockwise on the Trans-Lab... 11-12 days planned.
TRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #47
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Another great adventure!

I am jealous...

BTW....I understand you met some of my friends/neighbors while you were down in St Ignace!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #48
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoberts View Post
Great ride report... leaving myself this evening after work from St. John's riding counter-clockwise on the Trans-Lab... 11-12 days planned.
Enjoy and stay safe!! Send an update if you can!!

Todd

2up to Labrador - Another father/son adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984421
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #49
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
Another great adventure!

I am jealous...

BTW....I understand you met some of my friends/neighbors while you were down in St Ignace!
Thanks Bob!!!

Dylan and Sawyer hit it off really well. It was really nice that Dylan good get to hang out with someone his own age rather than the "old man".

Going to CADAVR? I missed it last year but am hoping to go this year. Had a business trip the same week. Would have rather been hanging out with you guys!

Todd

Old 07-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #50
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 5 continued…

We had a slight detour in Saguenay (the city) and went down some very narrow and hilly streets because of some construction. Very little traffic thank goodness. We were on the northern side of the Saquenay River. It must have been low tide (I read that the river is impacted by the tidal waters of the St. Lawrence Seaway. If it wasn't low tide the water level sure was!

We were heading southeast on route 172 going through the Saquenay National Park. Beautiful area with lots of areas to pull over and view the river or the mountains.

The twists and turns kept me from taking a lot of photos but I was able to get a few. As you can see it was pretty overcast.

It was getting pretty exciting because we started to see the signs (and advertising) for whale watching areas. You could rent a kayak, charter a boat, etc. We didn’t have a lot of time to spend out on the water whale watching so we were going to do what Aurelie (young girl from Lebel-sur-Quevillon) had suggested.

Dylan was pretty excited about seeing the Saint Lawrence Seaway. This was his photo from our first glimpse.

We were both excited about the possibility of seeing some whales! We stopped at a “?” again but it didn’t look open. When we walked in it was pretty evident that they were just gearing up for the season. The young man spoke english and told us to go to Cap de Bon-Desir. It wasn’t open but you could park at the gate and walk in. He said it’s a very large green sign, you can’t miss it.

It was and we didn’t!

We walked the mile past the gate to the park entrance. Took some photos from the outside of the buildings since the park wasn’t open. Even the restrooms were closed! There were LOTS of folks doing the same thing we were and also some employees working around so it wasn’t closed, closed.

A few of the signs around the buildings.

My wife is really into lighthouses.

Dylan on his way down to the area to watch the whales in the seaway.

This is the business end of the foghorn. I would hate to be standing where Dylan is when that thing went off!

We walked through the forest to get to shore and it was a nice reprieve from the warmer weather we were having. I was actually pretty glad the sun wasn’t out to bake the snot out of us. We had left all of our outerwear on and the bags and helmets on the bike hoping they are there when we get back.

The view we had as we approached shore. You can see folks off to the right sitting and looking.

The smells from the seaway were just like the ocean. I had forgotten that smell. Dylan wasn’t to fond of it at first but after awhile he was ok with it.

Some of the puddles holding water and other creatures.

You can see some sea kayakers off in the distant here. Some folks that were watching said a whale had just surfaced and put on a little show about 15 minutes before we got there. They said that the whales are almost showing off and have fun “performing” even thought they are wild.

The kayakers were just casually floating along. We could see in the distant something break the surface and then go back under. My guess was either sea lions or porpoises but I have no idea.

Of course you all wanted to see a close up of my nose and mouth.

You can see the little building off Dylan’s shoulder. It was some kind of an observation area and also had some additional locked restrooms.

Kicking back and relaxing while whale watching.

Joe Cool!

We didn’t get to see any whales but it was just wonderful to even get the opportunity to see one. That was a new experience for me and I think Dylan is starting to realize that these are things that you can come back and experience again. Yes, we are getting a whirlwind tour of Canada, but the wonderful areas you experience and want to spend more time doing can be done on a return trip.

We left for the long walk, in full riding gear it felt even longer, but it was uphill on the way back. The old fat bald guy was pretty tired. The stairs from the observation area, the walk up the trail, the uphill climb to the bike…I’ll sleep good tonight!

More scenery as we drove along the Saint Lawrence.

As we came closer to Baie-Comeau the terrain changed drastically. Now I can see why the rivers are so wild!

I believe these are from Manic-Outardes or Manic 2 which is part of the Hydro Quebec projects of Manicougan and Outardes Rivers.

Bridge over the Outardes River.

We're just outside Baie-Comeau!!! This is where we will turn north on Route 389 to meet up with the Trans Labrador Highway (Route 500/510) in Labrador.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #51
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Not to nitpick (at least not too much!)... What you were seeing there was the "Saint Lawrence River". The "Saint Lawrence Seaway" is the system of man-made locks from Montreal going west to the Great Lakes. I don't know what your return route was, but I hope you got a chance to pass by the Seaway and maybe even see one of the Seaway Locks in operation.

And it's around Saguenay that the St Lawrence River becomes salt water, so it's very much affected by tides, etc. The sea life and vegetation there is quite different from what is in the fresh water sections.

And the Saguenay River itself, do you know that it's depth reaches 800 FEET (270 meters)! It's quite an interesting area. There is a FREE government ferry running along Route 138 across the Saguenay to Tadoussac and from the ferry you can often see whales.

Keep those wonderful reports coming!
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #52
Matt-tastic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Subscribing for reference, leaving mid August from OKC to do this ride and have been reading as much as I can so we don't miss anything. Thanks!
Matt-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #53
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
I'm enjoying following along. What a great trip for Dylan. It would be extraordinary to see a sea lion in the St. Lawrence - they're a west coast animal - but hey, it can't hurt to look (or for Grumps either, for that matter).

Have fun on the way up to Labrador City. It's a great road.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #54
1MUDDY1
Got a Hose?

Oddometer: 18
Survived the TLH

Just completed the TLH last week. Went counter clockwise starting in Georgia. Anyway the gift shop in Goose bay was out of the stickers. I know, my cousin bought the last one (pecker head). I had to get mine at the restaurant/ gift shop in Red Bay. The shop is not hard to find, it's the only one. But still, don't miss that gift shop in Goose bay. They have everything there including a museum in the basement. Honestly, from guns to dildos they have it all.
1MUDDY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #55
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Not to nitpick (at least not too much!)... What you were seeing there was the "Saint Lawrence River". The "Saint Lawrence Seaway" is the system of man-made locks from Montreal going west to the Great Lakes. I don't know what your return route was, but I hope you got a chance to pass by the Seaway and maybe even see one of the Seaway Locks in operation.

And it's around Saguenay that the St Lawrence River becomes salt water, so it's very much affected by tides, etc. The sea life and vegetation there is quite different from what is in the fresh water sections.

And the Saguenay River itself, do you know that it's depth reaches 800 FEET (270 meters)! It's quite an interesting area. There is a FREE government ferry running along Route 138 across the Saguenay to Tadoussac and from the ferry you can often see whales.

Keep those wonderful reports coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
I'm enjoying following along. What a great trip for Dylan. It would be extraordinary to see a sea lion in the St. Lawrence - they're a west coast animal - but hey, it can't hurt to look (or for Grumps either, for that matter).

Have fun on the way up to Labrador City. It's a great road.

Nick
There goes my chance at convincing anyone I'm a marine biologist!

Glad to get the facts set straight. That's one of the things that I enjoy about riding in areas that I am unfamiliar with; the different cultural, economic, and natural differences from what I am familiar with. Why would you always want to go to what you're familiar with? Step out of that comfort zone!!!

The Saguenay River and the Saint Lawrence were both absolutely amazing. I live right on Lake Superior and see a large body of water all the time. These two were very different.

Thanks for the info!!

Todd

Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #56
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUDDY1 View Post
Just completed the TLH last week. Went counter clockwise starting in Georgia. Anyway the gift shop in Goose bay was out of the stickers. I know, my cousin bought the last one (pecker head). I had to get mine at the restaurant/ gift shop in Red Bay. The shop is not hard to find, it's the only one. But still, don't miss that gift shop in Goose bay. They have everything there including a museum in the basement. Honestly, from guns to dildos they have it all.
Crap! Anyone know of mail order opportunities?

Todd

Old 07-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #57
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 5 continued

We stopped at the "?" in Baie-Comeau and chatted with the folks there about camping in the area. They spoke very good english and were quite helpful. Pointed us in the direction of Camp Boreal.

Dylan is all over the ski hills and takes photos of all the ones we pass by or hits me to get one. This is the one (I don't know the name) on the way to Camp Boreal.

This area seemed very sandy. Even the gravel road leading up to the campground was more sand than gravel.

The office at the campground.

We got ourselves a site and needed to get some food and reload on snacks at the local Wal-Mart. Why always Wal-Mart? My wife works there and I get a discount.

This was the first Wal-Mart I had seen that was an anchor in a mall.

Dylan looking at skateboards in a sporting goods store in the mall.

I know it as KFC but in Quebec it is known as PFK!

An overall view of the campground.

Another view.

Wait a minute...what the hell is that? A giant chair with a giant marshmallow? Dylan come here and give me a push. Here's the camera, get a picture of this! Get one with my phone too so I can e-mail mom!!!

Yeah, I have the required goofy pic!

Ok, Dylan get up there, you're next!!!

We were in site 82. Great campground with very friendly hosts. Great Wi-Fi! Thank goodness. I got a voice mail from my credit card company that my card was frozen. Great. I even put a travel advisory on the card. Grrr.....!!!

We were exhausted and I couldn't do anything about it until morning.

It was getting pretty late.

We had done 265 miles today and were pretty tired. We had not had a break at all yet. I didn't know what to expect on the TLH so we kept moving everyday without stopping for a rest yet. I know it's only day 5 but you've got to take a breather once in awhile. The hardest part of the trip was still in front of us! I had three weeks of from work with a "tentative" 4th week if I got desperate. I didn't want to have to sue that card.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #58
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

June 13, 2014

Day 6

Yup, Friday the 13th. I'm not the kind of person who goes for this type of superstition but when it starts raining cats and dogs in the wee hours of the morning compounded by what is about to be a credit card fiasco, you've got to rethink the superstition, eh?

Dylan packed up our gear from inside the tent so it didn't get wet. The office was open at 7am (thank goodness). I asked if they had a pay phone, they do not, but the gentleman said I could use his phone since it was an 800 number. Nice!!! The first call they told me it was too early to handle the international issue. Call back in an hour. Great. We're starting our day out right!

I tried to get the card taken care of online with my iPad. I was standing under the overhang of the bathhouse while the rain came roaring down. This was not going to be a good day.

Dylan did a great job getting our down bags and pads packed up. The tent, a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL, has NEVER leaked and we've been in a lot of pretty wet weather the last few years.

I went back to the office and called the credit card company. They said that they have lifted the red flag and I can now begin traveling again. Gee, thanks. I know they are looking out for my well being but it can be quite troublesome.

Once we got the tent packed up, the fly was soaked but the tent and footprint were dry. We headed toward route 389.

We stopped for gas and saw this at the start. The boat was on the roof rack of the UTV and the trailer was filled with coolers. While I was taking the photo the driver walked by and pretended to take one of us and laughed at how much we were packing, too.

Sorry for all the raindrops on the lens, just could not help it. The camera is waterproof but you've got to clean the lens once in awhile. I missed all the warning signs at the start of route 389.

Pulled over and stopped to get a photo of the 40,000 on the clock!

It seemed at this point the weather had sucked the life out of us. We were going through the motions and not really enjoying the ride or scenery. Hard to see anything with all the rain coming down and you had to be careful of the road and animals running onto the road.

This is Manic 2 (much closer then the previous photo).

Looking downstream.

The moose warning signs were huge. They should be. We saw a LOT of moose!

Fog, rain, sketchy roads...did I mention it was Friday the 13th?

The rain would let up for a bit but then come roaring right back at us. Unlike later on when you could see the rain coming the road was so narrow and twisty you couldn't see far ahead.

Manic Cinq (5) straight ahead.

It looked as if it was clearing up! Maybe we wouldn't have a nightmare of a ride once we hit gravel.

Just like riding along the Dalton Highway with the Alaska Pipeline, Route 389 has the power lines. When you don't see them you kind of feel "alone" and that something is missing.

I'm fascinated with engineering marvels. Hyrdo Quebec has MANY!!!

Can you imagine how much "juice" is running through this area?

Our first glimpse of Manic 5!!!

Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #59
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 6 continued

Then we see the Fermont (the folks we talked to pronounce it Vermont) and Labrador City sign! There's hope!

I had anticipated camping at several spots along 389. I had coordinates for one campsite and then Gagnon was another option to camp. It was still pretty early in the day and we opted to keep riding since it was raining so bad.

More Manic 5 dam photos. This is where the pavement ends for awhile. Gulp...

My camera battery crapped out on me so I told Dylan to get as many photos as he could of the dam.

Probably wouldn't have done any good to have my camera anyway. This is where the road gets greasy when wet and is also an 18% grade!!

We stop here and I swap my battery and clean my lens off.

Doesn't take long to get rain drops on it again.

I'm amazed at the dam. I remind Dylan that we are at the Daniel-Johnson dam that is just south of the "Eye of Quebec". He has seen the impact crater several times on our maps and is astounded, as am I, over the size.

Just as we begin the switchbacks my rear tire starts to spin as I give it any throttle. Great, just great. 2up, large loaded bike with an almost all street tire. My decision on tires is not going as planned.

Just before we got to the top and this turnoff there's an oversized load semi filling the road. We are waved to the left side and they motion us to pass. Yeah, right. Give me 3 feet of greasy road on this incline to maneuver!

Once at the top you see the access road to the dam itself is gated. That would be cool to ride across!

But you do get a good view crossing the bridge.

The we settle back and begin to enjoy the solitude of quietly riding on the gravel. We slow way down and can now enjoy the sights, sounds and even smells along 389! It was still sprinkling but there was hope that it would let up.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #60
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 572
I'm enjoying the ride!

Actually the bank is protecting their interest not yours since you are only on the hook for $50. I've used my card all over the world week after week without a problem. But when I start buying 4 gallons of gas every 2-3 hours it rings alarms at Chase Bank.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote