ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #1576
Toddv
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 699
So eye contact is a bad thing? Gotcha. Some people seem to miss the point of this thread, it's not to show how all knowing any one of us is, it's to share information. Eye contact is but one tool in the toolbox and in some situations it's a good one. Now if you look back to where it was originally mentioned you will see there was a disclaimer stating that just because someone looks at you doesn't mean you are safe. If someone looks at you they most likely see you, and if they don't they definitely don't see you. All information gethered while riding is but a piece of the big puzzle of trying to predict what the other idiot is going to do, looking at their eyes is a good one but should not be the end all or have too much time spent on it. I've had people look right at me and still pull out, generally once people's minds are made up to do something they will do it until they see something that makes them change their course of action.
__________________
www.aikenbrushandbobcat.com
Toddv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #1577
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddv View Post
So eye contact is a bad thing? Gotcha. Some people seem to miss the point of this thread, it's not to show how all knowing any one of us is, it's to share information. Eye contact is but one tool in the toolbox and in some situations it's a good one. Now if you look back to where it was originally mentioned you will see there was a disclaimer stating that just because someone looks at you doesn't mean you are safe. If someone looks at you they most likely see you, and if they don't they definitely don't see you. All information gethered while riding is but a piece of the big puzzle of trying to predict what the other idiot is going to do, looking at their eyes is a good one but should not be the end all or have too much time spent on it. I've had people look right at me and still pull out, generally once people's minds are made up to do something they will do it until they see something that makes them change their course of action.
I'd rather know if someone has looked in my direction and appears to be looking at me waiting for me to pass before pulling out, than the alternatives. Is that complicated or debatable, sure not?
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #1578
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I'd rather know if someone has looked in my direction and appears to be looking at me waiting for me to pass before pulling out, than the alternatives. Is that complicated or debatable, sure not?
if looking at their eyes means you are NOT looking at their front tires, i'd say it is debatable.
__________________
2009 KTM 450 xc-w (plated)
2009 DRZ400s
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #1579
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
if looking at their eyes means you are NOT looking at their front tires, i'd say it is debatable.
Then debate we will. I can actually walk and crew gum at the same time. I'm looking at the person in order to anticipate if they are likely to move. I'm figuring out what they are thinking before they even do it. If you're just focused on the wheels you'll only know what's happening once the driver has acted. I'm way ahead of you because I'm watch both the driver and the car.

Your turn.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #1580
catweasel67
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Then debate we will. I can actually walk and crew gum at the same time. I'm looking at the person in order to anticipate if they are likely to move. I'm figuring out what they are thinking before they even do it. If you're just focused on the wheels you'll only know what's happening once the driver has acted. I'm way ahead of you because I'm watch both the driver and the car.

Your turn.

heh, there sure are a lot of mind readers here..

I'm only looking to see if the driver of other vehicle is at least looking in my general direction. If they're not, I become ultra defensive. I've seen too many drivers who only seem to be capable of looking in one direction....

If they're looking in my direction then I pay attention to other things - maybe wiggle it a wee bit, tyres, other traffic, stuff like that.

But I can't read minds. And I don't think that I can.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #1581
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
heh, there sure are a lot of mind readers here..

But I can't read minds. And I don't think that I can.
I believe being able to read drivers minds is an essential skill to staying safe. Knowing that the car in the lane in front of you is likely to change lanes before it has even entered the consciousness of the driver (because your watching the traffic queues ahead at the next lights). That the car in front of you drifting back and forth toward your lane, he's thinking of changing lanes and he's drifting as he looks in his mirrors trying to look for a hole (and you just happen to be that 'hole'), etc, etc.

Being able to read drivers minds (anticipate what they are likely to do based upon the surroundings and how they appear to be responding) is an essential skill worth developing whether you ride a bike or drive a car.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #1582
catweasel67
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I believe being able to read drivers minds is an essential skill to staying safe. Knowing that the car in the lane in front of you is likely to change lanes before it has even entered the consciousness of the driver (because your watching the traffic queues ahead at the next lights). That the car in front of you drifting back and forth toward your lane, he's thinking of changing lanes and he's drifting as he looks in his mirrors trying to look for a hole (and you just happen to be that 'hole'), etc, etc.

Being able to read drivers minds (anticipate what they are likely to do based upon the surroundings and how they appear to be responding) is an essential skill worth developing whether you ride a bike or drive a car.
I believe the same thing about spelling and grammar.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #1583
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I believe the same thing about spelling and grammar.
And I like old dogs and children and watermelon wine.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #1584
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer
 
LittleRedToyota's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
I'm figuring out what they are thinking before they even do it.
good luck with that.

i try to anticipate what drivers are gonna do, too. but they are far from always predictable. i have had people look right at me, seem to wait, then pull out at the last second.

yes, i look at more than just the wheels, too.

my point, though, was that--for newbies who this thread is aimed at--eye contact should be secondary (or tertiary). if you get too wrapped up in making eye contact, you can end up staring in the driver's window waiting for them to look at you...and miss the fact that they are starting to creep out. in reality, eye contact doesn't buy you much. seeing them start creeping does.
__________________
2009 KTM 450 xc-w (plated)
2009 DRZ400s
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #1585
Toddv
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 699
Some people just like to argue, but a thread with the inention of helping keep people safe isn't the place for it. Let's focus of providing people with the tools they need to do just that. It never hurts to have too many tools in this reguard but don't use a hammer where a screwdriver is needed.

Predicting what other are going to do is a great tool and over time you can get pretty darn good at it. Not only does it help you avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time, it keeps your head in the game right where it should be. Simply watching what a particular car is physically doing gives you a pretty limited amount of information to make a prediction from.
__________________
www.aikenbrushandbobcat.com
Toddv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #1586
TeSmSp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 101
Don't follow SUVs, minivans, pickup trucks or trucks.
__________________
R1200RT
Fly 150
TeSmSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:45 AM   #1587
catweasel67
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeSmSp View Post
Don't follow SUVs, minivans, pickup trucks or trucks.
...too closely..

fixed.

Otherwise it's daft advice

Put another way, if you can't see the (at least) vehicle in front of the vehicle in front of you when you're under-way, you're almost certainly too close.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #1588
RagerToo
vroom vroom
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NE Oh
Oddometer: 303
and now for something new

It took me a little more than an hour and a half of 70-80 mph freeway miles to realize my riding gear, jacket in this instance, needs to be a snug as it can be. I scored a super Mottarad (BMW) jacket from the flea market here, last year. Elbow, shoulder, and spine protection. Vents, and fits me fine.

But .... all of the straps, waist and elbows, need to be tightened down to cut through the wind. Sailing is for water or ice. hehe
__________________
'80 R100RS but nekkid
Some folks still insist on going to a gun fight with a popsicle stick sharpened on the driveway.
RagerToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #1589
RagerToo
vroom vroom
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NE Oh
Oddometer: 303
sailorninja, I had a similar thing happen to me yesterday. Running down the interstate, 70-75 to keep up with traffic, I had the throttle cranked open all the way. I readjusted my grip at least twice and wtf? I was losing speed.

The above mentioned flapping jacket, a lot of headwind gusts, and perhaps the Bings on the bike need some new bits in them. I realized that Rte 71 S of Medina, (Oh) has a long gradual elevation change that must run for 2-3 miles.

Dual fuel petcocks on the BMW, I reached over and opened the left one. I have a filter on the right one and the tank reline is two weeks old. -shrug- Once I topped the grade, everything was fine. And stayed for the rest of the day. I guess I reached the torque peak on the bike and that was all she had.
__________________
'80 R100RS but nekkid
Some folks still insist on going to a gun fight with a popsicle stick sharpened on the driveway.
RagerToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #1590
Hazelfire
Most Awesome Noob
 
Hazelfire's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Oddometer: 6
I've made a habit of always assuming they'll do something stupid. If I see a car pull up to a stop sign ahead, I assume they'll pull out straight in front of me. They usually don't. But I've already avoided three or four accidents with that kind of thinking, and I've only been riding a year and a half.
Hazelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015