ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #4816
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Hi all....

I am heading to Mongolia soon and just picked up a Garmin 78sc. This is my first GPS. I got a file from Walter Colebatch with his POIs, waypoints, etc. in Mongolia. Would anyone be willing to meet up and give me a quick tutorial on how to use it and how to load files, maps, etc?

My trip is coming up really soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff G.
Hey Jeff, I'm up in Napa and have had around 6 or 7 Garmins. I'd be happy to go over it with you. Want to ride up and cruise the Valley for a lesson? You can see the Pirelli's again I bought from you.
PM me if interested, I'll shoot you a #.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650, keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.
'96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, goes where I want to and need to
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #4817
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
There is no description of the features of the Latitude and hasn't been for months. It just says it's an updated Misano. Apparently KLIM doesn't care to sell that jacket or the matching pants.
The following features for the Latitude Jacket are listed here: http://www.klim.com/Latitude-Jacket-5146-001.html#58624

• GORE-TEX® 2-LAYER PERFORMANCE SHELL
  • GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY®
  • D3O™ T5 EVO XT ELBOW AND SHOULDER PIECES INCLUDED (MEET AND/OR EXCEED LEVEL 1 LIMB PROTECTOR CE CERTIFICATION PREN16121-1:2011)
  • D3O™ BP XT PACK PIECE (CE CERTIFIED LEVEL 1 TO EN1621-2)
  • MISANO CORDURA® LAMINATE EXTERIOR IN MAIN BODY
  • 840D CORDURA® LAMINATE EXTERIOR IN HIGH ABRASION ZONES
  • HIGH-MOBILITY ACTIVE FIT PATTERNING
  • MAX FLOW VENTILATION: 5 PORTS
  • 2 ARM AND 2 PIT ZIPS INTAKES
  • 1 BACK EXHAUST
  • 6 EXTERNAL POCKETS [2 LONG CHEST “MAP” POCKETS, 3 CARGO POCKETS, 1 SLEEVE I.D. POCKET}
  • 4 INTERNAL POCKETS [2 ZIPPERED, 2 OPEN STASH}
  • 1 SECRET INTERNAL POCKET
  • MESH COMFORT LINER
  • JACKET-TO-PANT ZIPPER INTEGRATION SYSTEM
  • ZIPPERED WAIST/HIP EXPANSION PANEL
  • ADJUSTABLE WAIST CINCH STRAPS
  • 2 SLEEVE ADJUSTMENT STRAPS
  • LINED COMFORT COLLAR
  • VELCRO ADJUSTABLE WRIST CLOSURES
  • INDUSTRIAL GRADE 3M SCOTCHLITE™ REFLECTIVE PANELS AND TRIM
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #4818
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
I have an older Latitude jacket I really like. I upgraded it with the
newer D30 armor recently. Like M N B says though a four season jacket
is still on the horizon.

The Latitude is great in cold, normal, warm temps but not what you want
to spend your day in when its 90 - 100 degrees plus out.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #4819
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
It is a tough language to speak. Don't even get me started with reading it!!

Thanks for the great advice.
Yep, it sure is a tough language. Very old, very peculiar grammar (agglutinative, i.e. all the grammar takes place with endings on nouns and verbs). And, there are only about 2 million native speakers, so it's hard to practice.

Unless you're up to speed with Cyrillic, you won't be reading much Mongolian, and even then, there are 2 additional characters beyond the Russian alphabet which was added to represent sounds not used in Slavic languages!

Mongolia is one of my favorite places, and I guess I am a bit of a cheerleader for Mongolia. My wife and I want to go back some day.

What is the name of of the Mongolian language app?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #4820
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Alameda County Sheriff's dual sport training for civilians

Yesterday I spent 8 hours in the hot sun taking a civilian Dual Sport Training Class offered by the Alameda County (California) Sheriff's Office. I can't say enough about this class for helping a rusty old guy learn and practice some riding skills. I rode my own DR but the other 6 or 7 students all chose to rent one of the school bikes for $50. They were all DR650's, shod with D606's but otherwise stock, although many bent footpegs, missing turn signals etc. All were ex-patrol bikes with about 10K miles, and are used for police/agency and civilian training. Lots of clutch slipping, brake locking, and LOTS of tipovers on both pavement and dirt. The instructors told us the bikes are just bulletproof. Well, not literally, and in fact that's one of the topics of the officer training (using the bike as shelter from fire) but we didn't get into it in the civilian class.

We started with pavement drills, then moved to the dirt, hundreds of acres to play in. If you've watched the TV show Mythbusters, this is where they blow things up. Two students came all the way from San Diego (400+ miles) but the rest of us were local. If you're in the area, or want to take a nice ride out here, I'd highly recommend the class.
https://www.sheriffacademy.com/class.php?id=107

The web site says you have to ride your own bike but is being corrected - there mare enough rental DR's for all students.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #4821
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Yesterday I spent 8 hours in the hot sun taking a civilian Dual Sport Training Class offered by the Alameda County (California) Sheriff's Office. ...
-dman
Wow, didn't know about this. I took their civilian motorcycle (street) course about 5 years ago--very worthwhile. We got to use their trainer KZP1000's and learned some very useful skills.

Highly recommended.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #4822
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Wow, didn't know about this. I took their civilian motorcycle (street) course about 5 years ago--very worthwhile. We got to use their trainer KZP1000's and learned some very useful skills.

Highly recommended.
Saturday was the first time they offered the dual sport class. The DR650's looked showroom new compared to the the KZ1000's in the shed.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #4823
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Yesterday I spent 8 hours in the hot sun taking a civilian Dual Sport Training Class offered by the Alameda County (California) Sheriff's Office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post

Highly recommended.
Quote:
Saturday was the first time they offered the dual sport class. The DR650's looked showroom new compared to the the KZ1000's in the shed.

I also took their street class about 6 or 7 years ago. The instructors are kind of like drill sergeants (some more harsh, some more pleasant), but they are excellent. I also highly recommend this class. You will practice threshold braking and avoidance maneuvers that might save your bacon on the street some time. I know for a fact the braking drills have saved my hide more than once.

I'm wondering if I would gain anything from their DualSport class. I've done a few dirt clinics and have been riding dirt for a few years. Not very long compared to my 30+ years on the street, though. I'd probably haul my 2003 TE610 up there if I took the class. I could haul my TE310 up there, but I don't run street legal tires on it.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #4824
dartmouth01
Noob

Oddometer: 2
Hi all! My very first post on ADV, I've been lurking for the past few weeks, while I acquired dual sports for myself (XR650L) and my fiance (DR200SE). I've got a few years experience on the street, and alot of saddle time mtn biking, but my fiance is fresh off an MSF class. We just recently moved to the East Bay after travelling the country for a couple years, and many times we found ourselves saying how it would have been nice to have a dualsport bike to cover places we couldn't with the RV or truck. Just wanted to check in, and already learned something from this thread (the Alameda Country DS class!). Happy riding!
dartmouth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #4825
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Welcome, dartmouth01!

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #4826
1brunoj
bruno

Oddometer: 38
lost coast

Is there any thread url etc re the lost coast route from intersection Usal rd and hwy 1 to Shelter cove via Usal Rd then on to Ferndale via matole rd? Fire roads ? paved roads, jeep roads etc thanks Bruno
1brunoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #4827
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Yesterday I spent 8 hours in the hot sun taking a civilian Dual Sport Training Class offered by the Alameda County (California) Sheriff's Office. I can't say enough about this class.....

-dman
Thanks for the info -- I have been looking for something like this for my g/f and I to tune our skills a bit. We are not beginners, so this sounds like a good class to attend.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #4828
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brunoj View Post
Is there any thread url etc re the lost coast route from intersection Usal rd and hwy 1 to Shelter cove via Usal Rd then on to Ferndale via matole rd? Fire roads ? paved roads, jeep roads etc thanks Bruno
Sounds like the route from the Lost Coast Dual Sport Ride (a few years ago). Maybe search that; also the route is probably available on gpsexchange if you will be using a gps.
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #4829
BaileyMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Spot or Delorme InReach Loan/Rent

Does anyone in the Bay Area have one of these PLB type devices they would like to loan or rent me for about 3 weeks?

I'm heading off on July 22nd, returning August 8th and would love to have one of these along with me. I'd buy the Spot 3, but they don't offer monthly service plans, which seems ridiculous to me, and the Delorme is out of my budget this year. Renting a Spot for a month is $99, a ripoff, IMHO.

I'll come pick it up...

PM is best.

Thanks,
BaileyMan
BaileyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #4830
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
I'd lend you mine, but it will be in use in Malaysia for a month. Sorry man!

Check for apps on your phone though. I found one for my iPhone called GPS tracker, which allows people to track me where ever i have reception. The apps goes offline after 20 mins to not drain your battery.. Not the best solution i know, but better than nothing! Best of luck to you!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote